Originally Posted by The Hog
Just had the alternator replaced on my 416 '98. Obviously the battery was off, and the radio just displays 'CODE' when I turn it on. I believe I have got the radio code on the car security details card, but I've thrown away the radio manual and don't know how to input it.
Which Radio Cassette does your car have?
For the Phillips item fitted to early MGFs, the sequence is as follows.
1) Switch on Radio: 'CODE' should appear in the display.
2) Press either up or down tuning buttons until the first digit of the four digit code appears. Press pre-set button 1 to store.
3) Use tuning up-down button to select 2nd digit - press pre-select button 1.
4) Use tuning up-down button to select 3rd digit - press pre-select button 1.
5) Use tuning up-down button to select 4th digit - press pre-select button 1.
The beep should sound and the radio function.
On most of these radios, if you fail to enter the code correctly it will default into a time out period where you won't be able to re-enter any code until the time out ends. Another wrong code entry will mean another time out period TWICE AS LONG as the previous one. Another incorrect code doubles that time out period and so on...... So, make sure you do have the CORRECT CODE and enter it correctly first time or be prepared for a wait ..