MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Front fog lights not working

4K views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  PaulH2007 
#1 ·
Hi my front fog lights not working when I push in switch there is no light on dash checked fuse it's fine done a visual check on relay that looks fine any help would be appreciated

#2 ·
Little more information will be needed. Did your fogs ever worked?
Is this your first time you tried them, or they stopped working and they worked some time ago?

If they stopped working did some work was done on the car in the meantime?

#13 · (Edited)
#15 ·
Same amp, same number of terminals and normaly open for example. This is same kind of relay. I provided you link where you can see where you have same type (same part number) of relay in your car. Take out front fogs relay, and replace with one of those from my link. Then you will be able to check if front fogs are working and if the relay is faulty or not. After that return probing relay in its position, and front fogs relay in its position.

#19 ·
If you have a faulty front fog relay in the BCU it's not behind the glove box, it's behind the centre console which means arm rest, radio, switches and console out to do an ohms test on individual relays in the BCU.
I had to change the front fog relay in my BCU when fogs front fogs stopped working. Because I have had various relays fail in BCU including central locking, front fogs, wipers and rear fogs I moved my BCU to new location behind glove box which makes it so much easier to get at. I by passed my drivers window relay by fitting a mk1 unit in the drivers door, the pektron BCU is great when everything is working but a pain when things go wrong and a Deffo weak spot.

#23 ·
The front fog switch connector should have a Yellow wire (SCU Front Fog Switch input) and a Black wire (Ground).

If you can connect these two together it will bring the front fogs on, this will at least prove if the switch that you have is faulty or not.

The front fog relay is not in the SCU, it is in the engine bay fusebox as you have previously found.

I have only had the SCU relay driver IC for the fogs faulty once and this was because the owner was experimenting

#24 ·
That's the switch I need Andy bug don't particularly want to pay £16.99 as it might not be that I have not physically checked bulbs as I ruled that out as how rare is it for 2 to blow together but a local mechanic thinks it most likely is bulb due to water getting in but I ain't computant enough to try and get to fog lights as you have to take bumper off is that right ?

#27 ·
Don't muck about with the bumper, in your first post you said the warning light doesn't come on either. That could be the bulb, but if you don't get a click from the relay either then it's the switch not powering the relay. That could be switch, relay, or connections between them. The relay is easy enough to substitute to check.

On mine and on the diagram only the side-lights need to be on for front fogs.

#26 ·
yeah unfortunately you have either remove the bumper or have small hands and get in behind it and twist to unlock on the zs if i remember correctly. if i remember someone said you can remove most of the lower securing bolts enough to pull the lower end out enough to get to them without removing it completely .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.