Has IMG replacement cured loss for you despite no visible ext leaks? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-05-2016, 16:13 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
Has IMG replacement cured loss for you despite no visible ext leaks?

Hi,

Has anyone on here ever been in a situation where there were no visible leaks from the inlet manifold gasket, yet replacing it alone cured disappearing coolant?

If this has happened to you exactly like this, please let me know!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-05-2016, 19:50

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
have read a few where it has cured the problem as the water was leaking into the cylinders and not externally ,causing misfires and bad idling at start up.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-05-2016, 08:04 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy400 View Post
have read a few where it has cured the problem as the water was leaking into the cylinders and not externally ,causing misfires and bad idling at start up.

I don't have misfires, and I don't have bad idling unless I stare at the needle in which case I notice it vibrates up and down a about 1 mm sometimes.
Are there any cases where someone didn't have misfires, bad idle, or external leaks, yet replacing IMG cured disappearing coolant?

Or does IMG always have some major symptom?

Thanks,

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-05-2016, 08:57
Supporter

Car: Was a Rover 25, now a Rover 75 Connie SE
IMG failure is a common occurrence as far as I can tell, and can often simulate problems similar to the early stages of HGF (rough running, coolant loss etc). While external leaks are easy to spot, internal ones are much harder.

If you suspect one may be failing, it's best to replace ASAP, as a failed gasket can cause all kinds of expensive problems.

As a matter of interest, what colour is your engine oil?

Had an argument with my pet rock recently - Now it's not speaking to me.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-05-2016, 13:10 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splop View Post
IMG failure is a common occurrence as far as I can tell, and can often simulate problems similar to the early stages of HGF (rough running, coolant loss etc). While external leaks are easy to spot, internal ones are much harder.

If you suspect one may be failing, it's best to replace ASAP, as a failed gasket can cause all kinds of expensive problems.

As a matter of interest, what colour is your engine oil?
About 1000 miles in, its the normal color of synthetic oil, you can see the dip-stick through it - not emulsified. But at the rate I'm losing coolant, it probably wouldn't be anyway. My coolant, 1000 in, is still pink.

I would replace IMG if I could find at least one other person who was without symptoms like me (other than disappearing coolant), that was fixed by IMG - because otherwise I feel I am grasping at straws.

I mean, if IMG possible root cause for this lack of symptoms, you would think there would be one other person whom this has happened to, where IMG replacement was the cure. Just 1 !

If not IMG, fire-ring seems likely issue.

Leaning towards the dreaded K-seal option or similar.

My cap holds at the specified pressure, its ok. It seems to consume around town rather than on high speed long runs.

Also, I've had this leak i think for 4 years or so - stable, except where it got worse due to radiator, but revert to prior state with rad replaced. Definitely no coolant around engine or car interior.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-05-2016, 14:12
Supporter

Car: Was a Rover 25, now a Rover 75 Connie SE
There is one other thing to consider - the expansion tank cap.

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/exp...-oem-available

These can fail over time, and also cause a very slow loss of coolant.

Had an argument with my pet rock recently - Now it's not speaking to me.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-05-2016, 15:21 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splop View Post
There is one other thing to consider - the expansion tank cap.

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/exp...-oem-available

These can fail over time, and also cause a very slow loss of coolant.

I pressurized my system with a small compressor whilst cold, and it held the pressure at the spec in the book.

Is that a conclusive pass, or is there some other way in which they can fail?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-05-2016, 19:46

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
with the small amount of coolant you say you are loosing you probably wont see the effects of the gasket leaking , do a search for inlet manifold gasket as you will find a few that have fixed loosing coolant with no external signs of coolant loss.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 21-05-2016, 17:31

Car: MG ZT CTDi and R45 1.6SE
I had a 1998 400 that had a water leak from the IMG. Other than disappearing water the only indication was lots of steam from the exhaust. Engine idle etc was OK.

When the engine was running it evaporated straight away so couldn't be seen. A pressure test of the water system when the engine was cold showed a dribble of water down the back of the block. Changing the IMG cured it and the HG was fine.

We then had a 45 (still got it) and the water started to slowly disappear on that when it got to 60,000 miles, with no rough running. I was hoping it was IMG but I replaced it and unfortunately still had the dropping water level. Added some K Seal and it took 6 months and another 5000 miles for leak to get bad enough to make mayo in the oil. HG replaced with no further problems.

With your car, as a pressure test when cold showed no leaks from the IMG, water pump or a pipe it's likely that you may have a gently failing head gasket. It doesn't necessarily make the engine run rough. Might be worth trying the IMG first though.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 21-05-2016, 18:45
Stu
Administrator

Car: Merc E250 Convertible + Alfa Mito Turbo
Garages
Send a message via MSN to Stu Send a message via Skype™ to Stu
Seen dozens of cars losing coolant through the IMG with no symptoms other than an emptying coolant bottle.

Stu

Get cash back on your Insurance and many other web purchases through Quidco
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 21-05-2016, 18:54 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Seen dozens of cars losing coolant through the IMG with no symptoms other than an emptying coolant bottle.
Great thanks.

I'm thinking the fact that I seem to loose more coolant around town with small throttle angles (high manifold vacuum), yet can drive hundreds of miles without losing much at all (manifold pressure close to atmosphere) supports a perished gasket connecting with inlet manifold tract and coolant...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 21-05-2016, 19:08
Stu
Administrator

Car: Merc E250 Convertible + Alfa Mito Turbo
Garages
Send a message via MSN to Stu Send a message via Skype™ to Stu
If you can use a set of spanners its a cheap item t replace, so worth doing just in case.

Stu

Get cash back on your Insurance and many other web purchases through Quidco
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-05-2016, 13:40
T4 Diagnostics

Car: R40, R41, P6, FL2, Imp, R56, Street Twin
Garages
Lightbulb Re-applying Lost Squeeze on Eastomer Gasket IMG

Assuming your manifold is not badly warped/melted from serious overheating or the gasket is beyond salvation.

This simple technique using wedge washers works for me.

eBay Item 322090341124
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inlet Manifold Tapered Washer_Page_1.jpg (141.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Inlet Manifold Tapered Washer_Page_2.jpg (146.0 KB, 6 views)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-05-2016, 14:07

Car: MG ZR
One of mine is currently experiencing similar issues.
No real running issues, but the coolant bottle runs from full - empty in around 3 weeks if not kept an eye on.
I'll be changing the IMG as I have a spare sat here anyway, hopefully that'll cure it.