head light bulbs - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 17:45 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG ZS
Garages
head light bulbs

HI question ZS mk2 like to put pure white headlight bulbs in mine so anyone tell me the right bulb and the best one that will last more than a month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 20:11

Have to say osram knight breaker plus, there are many on here that have fitted knight breaker bulbs in various forms. I have knight breaker plus with gold tipped bulbs that I fitted a few years back in dip and main beam and they are still going strong. I think they were 15 a pair if I remember correctly.
Type of bulb is H7 for dip and main beam, take a look on euro car parts to see if they have any offers on, or try on eBay you won't be disappointed.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 20:21 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Cheers for the info will give them a go

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 22:06

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
I use Philips blue lighters, they have a blue filter so give a much whiter light than clear ones, they are slightly more powerful than O/E but don't draw as much power as the ultra powerful ones like the knight breakers and therefore run cooler and last longer.

I am always impressed how well they light the way ahead.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 17:44 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Already got the night breakers today and fitted them so until I go out at night not sure what they like so wait and see how good, if not happy will try the blue lighters
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 21:34 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Might have to try the blue lighters as the nightbreakers seem ok but still look to me a bit on the yellow side was hoping for more ice white look
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 22:33

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
try these if you use h7 bulbs
Super Slim HID XENON KIT H1 H3 H3c H7 H7c H7R H11 9005 9006 H8 H9 H10 9012 H8 | eBay

make sure to order the H7R ( make sure it has the R ) if not using h7 bulbs then ignore this lol.
i got the 6k ones and heres a pic of them with the blue coated zenons in the lowers
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-08-2016, 01:29

No problem with my night breaker bulbs, this pic is in the day so a lot brighter by night. Be careful if you go down hid road as you can have mot problems with some testers, due to beam pattern, electric headlamp adjusters and headlamp washers if not fitted.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-08-2016, 02:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren10 View Post
No problem with my night breaker bulbs, this pic is in the day so a lot brighter by night. Be careful if you go down hid road as you can have mot problems with some testers, due to beam pattern, electric headlamp adjusters and headlamp washers if not fitted.
adjusters and washers not required , beam pattern problems are down to having the incorrect bulbs fitted , ie h7 hid instead of h7R hid
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-08-2016, 08:05 Thread Starter
Supporter

Garages
Thanks for that Andy so my car has H7 in now and the kit I need is H7R . is this a plug and play kit no chopping of wiring or plugs ?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-08-2016, 16:14

Depends on what tester you go to, your car would not pass it's mot at my local station. Your beam pattern looks scattered in your picture and my tester insists car not fitted with hid lights from factory need to have head lamp washers and electric adjusted lamps but like I said it's a lottery on which tester you go to.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-08-2016, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic51 View Post
Thanks for that Andy so my car has H7 in now and the kit I need is H7R . is this a plug and play kit no chopping of wiring or plugs ?
yes purely remove other bulbs fit new ones and plug everything up , and find some where to place the boxs near the headlights some kits come with built in resistor packs to stop flickering or can be bought separately think i payed a whole 2.50 for a pair of the non flicker packs , wasn't really needed but got them just in case ,
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-08-2016, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren10 View Post
Depends on what tester you go to, your car would not pass it's mot at my local station. Your beam pattern looks scattered in your picture and my tester insists car not fitted with hid lights from factory need to have head lamp washers and electric adjusted lamps but like I said it's a lottery on which tester you go to.
beam pattern is spot on and better than the original bulbs , they can not fail on no levelers and no washers if they are not fitted . only factory fitted ones will fail on them if they arnt working .
i would also direct your mot tester to the vosa mot page regarding retro fitted hid lights and get him to re-read the page as he either just doesnt like them or he has incorrectly read the page.
if he is failing them ( after market hids ) on no levelers and no washer he isnt doing his job correctly and incorrectly failing cars .
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-08-2016, 21:51

Why go to all the cost and effort to fit HIDs when decent bulbs get the job done?
Man in the Car likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-08-2016, 23:24

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy400 View Post
.......beam pattern problems are down to having the incorrect bulbs fitted....
Beam pattern problems with aftermarket fit HIDs are normally due to fitting HID lights into headlamp units that are not suitable for them - standard headlamp lenses for tungsten or halogen bulbs will not focus the light from HIDs correctly (no matter how you try and adjust them). The result is always a lot of light 'bleed' in all sorts of directions.

It is pretty obvious from your photo that your HIDs are bleeding light to a horrendous degree. If your MOT tester is telling you that the beam pattern is OK, he clearly isn't checking it correctly (or possibly at all!). I bet oncoming drivers issue a string of expletives when they meet you coming the other way at night

Frankly, it is my very strongly held opinion that people who fit HIDs to unsuitable lamp units should be shot on sight. If you can't see adequately to drive safely at night with standard fit 55 watt halogens, it is your eyesight/night vision which is at fault, and blinding oncoming drivers is not helping road safety and is not the answer.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-08-2016, 02:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingcars View Post
Why go to all the cost and effort to fit HIDs when decent bulbs get the job done?
you can get aftermarket hid kits for less than the price of a set bulbs so not as expensive as buying say night breakers
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-08-2016, 03:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
Beam pattern problems with aftermarket fit HIDs are normally due to fitting HID lights into headlamp units that are not suitable for them - standard headlamp lenses for tungsten or halogen bulbs will not focus the light from HIDs correctly (no matter how you try and adjust them). The result is always a lot of light 'bleed' in all sorts of directions.

It is pretty obvious from your photo that your HIDs are bleeding light to a horrendous degree. If your MOT tester is telling you that the beam pattern is OK, he clearly isn't checking it correctly (or possibly at all!). I bet oncoming drivers issue a string of expletives when they meet you coming the other way at night

Frankly, it is my very strongly held opinion that people who fit HIDs to unsuitable lamp units should be shot on sight. If you can't see adequately to drive safely at night with standard fit 55 watt halogens, it is your eyesight/night vision which is at fault, and blinding oncoming drivers is not helping road safety and is not the answer.
the reason why they look like they do is because i was kneeling down and trying to get just above the line of the light beam , and yes people are fitting incorrect bulbs blinding oncoming drivers which is why i said in the original post to make sure he gets the bulbs with R on the end which are designed to stop the oncoming blinding and proved correct beam patterns with reflector type head lights hence the R = reflector , they have a specially design black out strips to stop this and fix the problems caused by fitting the normal h7 hid bulbs.
here is the pic of the beam taken with dirty headlight lens it is now much tighter beam as i cleaned the lens but this was taken when i first fitted the kit.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-08-2016, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingcars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy400 View Post
you can get aftermarket hid kits for less than the price of a set bulbs so not as expensive as buying say night breakers
So that covers the cost, a decent brand of bulbs costs more a cheap HID set up, will 40 HIDs last long?

What about the effort?
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-08-2016, 22:36

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Much longer than a set of nightbreaker bulbs yes which are rated at 500 hours I think. Mine lasted about 7 years of heavy use (over 100k miles and I always have my headlights on day or night), before one of them failed.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-08-2016, 22:51
Supporter

Car: Vauxhall Monaro 5.7i V8
Don't be tempted to buy cheap bulbs off ebay. I got a few supposed superwhite bulbs from China and they were awful. Beam pattern was all over the place as they didn't fit the holders correctly, and they lasted about 10 minutes. What ever route you go down don't buy what ever is cheapest as you will regret it. You only get what you pay for these days.