Heater/blower Motor help - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 20:28 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
Exclamation Heater/blower Motor help

Hi, looking for some advice.

The heater has completely packed it in on my rover 45. It was working on settings 3 and 4 for a few months, but the other day there was smoke coming out of the fan and it had stopped working.

I had a look through the forum and noticed the thread about changing the resistor. So i opened it up and took it out and its completely knackered. All 3 coils are broken. Is this where the smoke was coming from? or would it be that the motor is needing replaced as well?

If so where would i get one and for how much? I got the resistor panel off ebay for about 15, but couldnt see any motors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 22:10
Mmmm....Rover..

Car: Mk2 ZS 160, 200vi(RIP) & Freelander XEDi
Send a message via MSN to technozen
Regardless of the state of the resistor pack the fan should run on position 4.

If it doesn't then the motor is most likely faulty.

The 400/45/ZS all use the same motor.

Free Fob Programming and Diagnostics for forum Supporters... see here.

Pektron SCU/BCU Technical Information and Common Faults... see here.

Discounted Pektron SCU/BCU Relay Replacement for forum Supporters... see here.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 22:14

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
Electric motors are pretty tough. Remove the existing one (plus filter if present) and get rid of any crap that's collected. If necessary, clean up the motor so that it rotates freely and maybe check the carbon brushes make contact with the commutator (and generally look ok).

Refit the motor (and a clean filter). If it still doesn't work, even on maximum speed, get a replacement from a scrap yard or from ebay.

You might also consider testing the motor with jump leads direct from the battery, just to make absolutely sure it's dead before replacing it.

Also bear in mind that when a motor burns out, it may take a fuse with it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 07:13 Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

How do I go about getting the motor out, is there a help guide of some sort? Is it easy enough to do?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 12:15

Car: 45 2.0 Diesel
Remove Glove box (two 8mm bolts I think)
Remove the metal bar (four bolts - not necessary to get the fan out, but probably need to remove to get at the pollen filter)
Unclip the blower motor wiring plug.
Undo 3 screws underneath blower, and it just drops out. I wouldn't even bother trying to service the old one, should be able to pick one up from a scrappy for peanuts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 15:26

When you have the motor sorted out, you can buy up-graded resistors for the resistor pack from rezpax.com. These are said to be pretty impervious to the burn-out problem, and just need to be soldered onto your existing somponent. We just fitted some, total cost around 8.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 15-01-2012, 19:21 Thread Starter

thanks a lot guys got the motor out and its burnt out right enough. i bought those resistors off rezpax and will get them sorted.

While i had the motor and resistors out tho, i drove the car and it went fine. it has now been lying over the weekend and the battery is flat and its not starting now. do u think this is because ive got those parts out?