Last MOT tomorrow (probably) - MG-Rover.org Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Fast Guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 16:43 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
Last MOT tomorrow (probably)

Just had a brief look around the old girl and I think depending how badly she fails (well I'll be amazed if she passes) tomorrow she might not get retested and go straight to the scrappies at the end of the month. Shame really as bar the front sills she's not too bad from a rust point of view. There's potentially a rusty brake pipe hidden under some mud. Maybe rear suspension bushes if she creaks a lot during the inspection, brakes might need bleeding as they're just a little spongy, but seem to work ok on the road.
Problem is, being a W reg 45, she's not worth spending too much money on if there's a long list.

We were going to get a new car last year but she only had a couple of small fails on the day. The big fails were a couple of days later lol. (clutch release bearing completely destroyed and brake pipe failed that wasn't noticed on the test) This year we'll definitely be getting a new car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 19:07
Supporter

Car: F. Fiesta 1.6 ECOnetic
Should the worst happen.... Why not offer on here before considering tbe scrappy..?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 19:11
gots me a pair o' MGs

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
It's difficult when submitting an older car with known issues for an MOT on whether it's worth paying for the rectifications. Sometimes the line must be drawn, and making that judgement is not easy. But if you are minded to get a new car anyway then the outcome shouldn't be too painful. What are you considering as a replacement?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 19:42 Thread Starter

I did think about offering it on here it's scrapped, but I thought you needed to be a paid member or something?

I've been looking at Nissan Jukes, the wife mentioned a Fiat 500, so we'll probably end up getting something completely different.

I will be sad to see her go if she does, she's only had one recovery in the 12/13 years I think we've had her and that was dues to a 5 year old water pump failure earlier this year when we were 240 miles from home.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 19:46
gots me a pair o' MGs

Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Guy View Post
I did think about offering it on here it's scrapped, but I thought you needed to be a paid member or something?

I've been looking at Nissan Jukes, the wife mentioned a Fiat 500, so we'll probably end up getting something completely different.

I will be sad to see her go if she does, she's only had one recovery in the 12/13 years I think we've had her and that was dues to a 5 year old water pump failure earlier this year when we were 240 miles from home.
She's given you good service and owes you nothing in that case (I'm referring to the car). I would prepare to feel sad at the final parting if I were you!

You're right that you need to be a paid-up supporter or a temporary trader to advertise on here. Ebay might be your best bet tbh.

There are good deals about for the Juke and 500 as they're nearing the end of their life. Neither would be top of my list but at least the Juke is British-built.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:49 Thread Starter

O........M.......F.......G........ She passed.........and without any advisories. Who said miracles don't happen. I really must stop being so pessimistic.

FFS, that's now got me thinking will she pass next year. I'm getting too old to re working under cars this time of the year for MOTs. So I still think it's very likely this was her last MOT.

Oh well, at least we've got a bit of breathing space to get a new car now. June, July sounds a nice warm time of the year.
IanMc and kirkles like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 18:48

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
So get a fresh MOT in June to avoid a winter MOT next time.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 19:29
gots me a pair o' MGs

Garages
Quote:
O........M.......F.......G........ She passed.........and without any advisories.
Excellent! The old girl still loves you.

Selling the car in June with 6 months+ MOT should make an easy sale. If you can bear to part of course

One for summer: 2004 MG TF 135 in Firefrost
One for winter: 2002 MG ZS 120+in Solar Red
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 20:05 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingcars View Post
So get a fresh MOT in June to avoid a winter MOT next time.

I've been going to do that for years, but never got round to it.
Probably won't now as the risk of it failing is much higher. I think we'll look for a new car around June and I might keep the old girl until the next mot then get rid.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-01-2017, 04:41

Car: Rover 25
We raided the piggy bank and got a Vectra to replace our 420 as I was having trouble working on it. Kept the 420 as spare. 2 broken springs, Intercooler, Turbo, various attempts to blank the EGR valve and a Dual Mass flywheel later the Cam belt broke and we scrapped it. 1000 P in F***ing repairs. Luckily the 420 still kept going and we still have it, its done approx 180 000 miles (replacement 130 mph speedo)
Moral. Keep the 45.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-01-2017, 22:05
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Quote:
O........M.......F.......G........ She passed.........and without any advisories. Who said miracles don't happen. I really must stop being so pessimistic.
Good one!

gnu