MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Leak in air-con pipe

3K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  Ruby Murray 
#1 · (Edited)
My broken air-con is apparently due to there being a leak in this pipe.

It's the one with a cable tie around it.

Can you still get hold of them? What's the part number? Or is it a case of phoning round scrapyards?

See less See more
#4 ·
Aaahhh...

:surprise:
Looked more closely and yes, the AC pipe is under the cables, Somebody has commited the sin of putting a cable tie around the pipe, not recommended as the tie can cut through the ally.
Pipe may be available from Rimmers or X-Part or should be repairable as it is the low pressure pipe which is usually made of thicker gauge ally.

#17 · (Edited)
Bit of a thread resurrection here, but it's starting to feel like summer again, and even though the old girl has 175k on the clock, I still fancy getting the air-con working again.

I gave up last year when a mobile air-con bloke snapped off my bumper because he couldn't get the bolts undone - then, when I moaned he said 'what did you expect me to do?!'.

Anyway, the one pipe was replaced, but the pipe next to it was also leaking. Apparently, the pipe that needs replacing is the one that goes into the top of the condenser.

I've found this one, but not sure it's the right one? (It's for the diesel)

Thanks!

#18 ·
AC Pipe

It is an AC pipe, but somewhat unusual in having both low and high pressure service ports on the same pipe.
I think this pipe may have been made up from others, as I've not seen this arrangement before and low and high pressure pipes need to be separate for obvious reasons.
If it goes to/from the Condenser, it will be a high pressure pipe, in which case the low pressure port should not be there!

#20 ·
If the pipe fits and is not leaking, it should work ok. As long as the AC engineer recharging the system is aware of the fact, he will know which port to use (don't use Kw....t!). It is possible to blank off the superfluous port, but if not, at least wrap loads of tape around it and a 'Do Not Use' label.
The original pipes were very complex and I suspect that someone has had the same problem and has 'Re-engineered' to suit.
I would advise fitting new 'O' rings.
Good luck.

#25 ·
That looks like a LOW pressure pipe (Evaporator to Compressor) as it is larger diameter. Does your damaged pipe join on to the Condenser? if so, it will be HIGH pressure.
The part No you quote IS the right part No for the HIGH pressure pipe, but the one shown doesn't look like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.