Looked at a ZS this morning.. - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 14:51 Thread Starter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS 180
Looked at a ZS this morning..

Afternoon all, as you may or not know I've been looking at getting an MG ZS to replace my MG ZR, I'm looking at the 1.8 version for the time being, mainly being my age ; 21 and fuel costs as I do about 250 miles a week at best!

Anyway I nipped over to Peterborough this morning to follow up an add I saw on good ol fleabay of all places! It was for a 1.8 Le Mans Green ZS + Saloon with 100k on the clock.

Here's some pics.

Didn't look a bad car on the face of things. However there were a few things concerning me which I thought I better ask the experts on .org! Lol

Firstly, the dealer said the uprated MLS head gasket was fitted - however there was no coolant in the expansion tank... :/ he said he would flush it through and refill pre sale.

The drivers seat bolster was very badly worn / torn to the foam.. Would this cost much to get retrimmed?

The bootlid didn't want to stay up.. Is this a common problem with the saloons?

And it was steamed up inside the front and rear screens, rear being worst as can see in the pics! dealer said it was because it has been sitting for a while.. ! Sound legit? Boot floor was mouldy too..

Few little marks on the bodywork, reckon most would polish out though!

Anyway what do you guys think? / what would you do?

Thanks, Rik

Last edited by RikkiA335; 13-01-2013 at 16:40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 15:11

Car: ZS180, STR
No coolant = walk away. Coolant doesn't just evaporate away. It's got a leak. It may not be serious but why take the risk? Plenty of other cars out there.

Misting up - yeah, pretty typical for a ZS. But with mould I'd expect this car probably has a water leak into the cabin too.

Bootlid - search this forum, common issue with the saloons from new.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 15:19 Thread Starter

Thanks for that, Yeah I was like where's the coolant as I opened the cap up! Dealer was like oh I didn't put enough in! Lol. He did offer A 7 day warranty though... So A weeks worth of commuting would show up any issues if I were to get it! Haha!

I know I should walk away from the car but the car has no rust at all on the arches or underneath, which is what's drawing me to it, plus the low mileage - much lower than my ZR anyway! Plus it was dead comfy inside and has A/C and leccy windows! Still a nice touch!

But I'll have a think about things, just want a few opinions and tips from the guys on here first before I make the decision whether to or not.

Cheers, Rik

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 15:24

Car: MG ZS facelift
you should get a 3 month warranty regardless from a dealer
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 15:29 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellkef View Post
you should get a 3 month warranty regardless from a dealer
Okay, yeah I thought 7 days was a bit short..? But im gonna mull over it first before I make any decisions I think.

Thanks
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 15:34

Car: 2004 45 conni TD Saloon
If the boot floor shows signs of mould then you have a leak into the boot area and this will cause the interior to mist up too.

As for the bootlid ts supported by 2 springs and its not unknown for one of them to slip from its clip under the rear parcelshelf thus reducing the amount of bootlid lift.

Also, I am under the impression that boot mounted spoilers require the uprated springs to make the boot lid stay up.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 16:05

Car: MG ZS 120+
got a 120+ myself, nice motors, as for the boot staying up, never had any probs with this, did fall on me head once, hadn't put it up far enough. hurts even with the little spoiler

has it got any history ? belts done etc ?

mine has only done 67k, got receipts from previous work done

seems high mileage, and if belts not done, i'd walk away, theres lower mileage ZS's out there
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 16:18

You can have mine for 900 mate?
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 16:22 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie67 View Post
got a 120+ myself, nice motors, as for the boot staying up, never had any probs with this, did fall on me head once, hadn't put it up far enough. hurts even with the little spoiler

has it got any history ? belts done etc ?

mine has only done 67k, got receipts from previous work done

seems high mileage, and if belts not done, i'd walk away, theres lower mileage ZS's out there
Hmm, well it did seem to stay up in the end when it was in its right up position if that makes sense? maybe it was just me! Lol

And yeah it's apparently got service history, dealer said he'd done the MLS gasket himself and that i shouldn't really face any problems. It would be false economy not to fit a cambelt whilst doing the head so I'll quiz him on that if I call him back!

And the mileage isn't too bad to be fair, just found out its only 100,625 so that's a plus! Less than 10,000 a year anyway!
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 16:26 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpy120+ View Post
You can have mine for 900 mate?
Bit far from me I'm afraid!
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 16:35

Car: MG ZS
Expansion tank was empty on mine to, he filled it before I test drove with some excuse.

2 weeks after I'd bought it, figured out it was dropping coolant.

After investigation, found the water pump was gone, only dumped coolant when cold as when hot the expansion of the metal sealed it.

Luckily I have 3 month warranty so it was a no quibble replacement.
Found it by giving top rad hose a squeeze when stone cold, coolant came POURING out from the cambelt cover
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 16:40

Car: S1 Elise 111S/MG ZT 260 SE
Rik, walk away, there's plenty about. If you want me to come have a look with you at one, let me know

And the bootlid thing is normal on the saloons, mine does it
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 16:42 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDagger View Post
Expansion tank was empty on mine to, he filled it before I test drove with some excuse.

2 weeks after I'd bought it, figured out it was dropping coolant.

After investigation, found the water pump was gone, only dumped coolant when cold as when hot the expansion of the metal sealed it.

Luckily I have 3 month warranty so it was a no quibble replacement.
Found it by giving top rad hose a squeeze when stone cold, coolant came POURING out from the cambelt cover
I was literally just thinking it may have been a slowly leaking waterpump actually mate! Unless he really didn't put that much coolant in!

I don't know why I didn't ask these things when I visited! :/ duh silly me! Anyway I'll probably call him back during the week and querie about the cambelt, waterpump and any other work it may have had done.

Anything else on the ZSs I should be wary of? Lol.

Rik
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 16:45 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Rik, walk away, there's plenty about. If you want me to come have a look with you at one, let me know

Cheers Iain. I'm just testing the water as it were, still got a few more to look at and I probs won't be looking at buying until after 9th feb as I'm away in Cornwall the week before that.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 16:46

Car: ZS+ MKII TD
Quote:

Good advice

If he's done the mls himself why would he only warranty it for a week!!

Don't walk away, run!! Get one that's not okay, but fantastic!! They're common as muck, your perfect car will be out there. Patience.
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 16:50 Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizd View Post
Good advice

If he's done the mls himself why would he only warranty it for a week!!

Don't walk away, run!! Get one that's not okay, but fantastic!! They're common as muck, your perfect car will be out there. Patience.
That's very true, well I'll call him back during the week for a few more questions etc and if its not up to scratch and he can't guarantee it won't last more than a week I'll probs just leave it! Be a shame to sell an immaculate and reliable ZR for a potential shed!

And I'm sure I'll find one, Its common for me to fall in love at first site though.. Haha.

Thanks for the advice / comments!
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 16:52

usually when hgf happens, the thermostat and waterpump are changed at the same time !! i know mine was,

sounds like he changed the gasket only
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 16:53

Car: S1 Elise 111S/MG ZT 260 SE
I wouldn't even bother calling him being honest. He's trying to sell a car with no coolant-jeeez, what else hasn't been looked at properly?

Find another, the 1.8 is the most common ZS and they're cheap, you'll find a really decent car for a grand as well as lots of turds.
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 16:56 Thread Starter

Quote:
I wouldn't even bother calling him being honest. He's trying to sell a car with no coolant-jeeez, what else hasn't been looked at properly?

Find another, the 1.8 is the most common ZS and they're cheap, you'll find a really decent car for a grand as well as lots of turds.
Okay cheers mate, well it'd be interesting whether he's actually done the other jobs or just done a half arsed attempt! Lol!

But yeah I think I might give this one a miss.. The search continues! Lol
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-01-2013, 17:07

Car: '13 BMW 125i M Sport
Send a message via MSN to JoeyTaffy93
No coolant I'd walk away too.