Lost key and fob and clock - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 27-01-2015, 14:31 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZS
Lost key and fob and clock

Hi all

I have lost a key and fob and the price to replace only the fob and programing is I.R.O. 200.
Is there a cheaper way out.
I only have a couple of weeks to sort it out as I am returning it to Spain where it lives.
Any help is much appreciated.
Also the clock.Some of the lights in the LED display don't work and is hard to read. Can this be fixed or is it try to get one out of the scrapyard?.
The car is a zs 180.

Cheers Andy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 27-01-2015, 15:20

Car: Rover 45
Clock is fixable with an iron, sorted mine out that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsz8vwW8L7E
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 27-01-2015, 16:05

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty123 View Post
Is there a cheaper way out.
Depends which type fob is required.

If you have a pre-facelift ZS with a black lozenge shaped fob, you can get a second hand one - these type can be reprogrammed to another car for a relatively small amount by anyone with suitable equipment (any auto locksmith should be able to do it). Just make sure you get either a 17TN or 3TXB type.

If you have a facelift ZS with a black and grey round Pektron fob, you have little option but to buy a brand new fob complete with its unique barcode. The barcode tells the SCU the initial starting code of the fob, which then rolls on each time the buttons are pressed. Once they have been used above a certain number of times, the SCU will no longer recognise the fob from the original barcode, thus making it impossible to reprogram a used one to another car.

In the case of the round Pektron fob, you best option is to contact technozen (either by pm on this forum http://forums.mg-rover.org/members/technozen-181/, or via his website http://www.technozen-electronics.co.uk/). He did have brand new fobs available for a lot less than the XPart list price.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 27-01-2015, 17:19 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
Hopefully that may sort out both problems

Andy.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 27-01-2015, 19:58

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
To get the clock out most people take the console out but if you have small handsyou can get get to the screws through the radio appature.

If getting one from the scrap yard look for a Rover 200 or 25 or a MG ZR as they are the same but the screws are hidden behind a pop off cover.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-05-2017, 21:30

Regarding fob and key, check on eBay for a replacement set up ( BCU , Ecu, fobs, keys and barrel ) if you have a facelift. I replaced mine a couple of years ago when the BCU died and was fried lol. I purchased a Ecu,BCU 2 fobs and barrel with keys for 70 then just swapped everything over which took 20 mins. I then purchased another complete setup wit 2 fobs for 20 which I tested on my ZS and is now sitting in my cupboard.
As mentioned if you have pre facelift car with square 2 button fob then a second hand fob can be found easily in breakers or eBay and programming is cheap but you need the car with you for this.
As for the clock I would replace it with a Lucas clock from an early model 25,45 or ZR,ZS or rover 200/ 400. I had same fault on my pektron clock, repaired it then it failed in some very cold weather, changed a few pektron which all failed until I put a Lucas clock in few years back no more problems.
Hopefully you get it sorted before you go back, Bren.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-05-2017, 21:48

This is another (two and a half year old thread) which has been revived by a newbie with a pointless post. Why do they do that??

Edit: the post referred to has been removed, so this doesn't make much sense anymore

Last edited by Man in the Car; 16-05-2017 at 23:32.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-05-2017, 23:28

Car: Rover 620ti, 2x 1996 MGF, 4x MG TF, Mazda Bongo, 2x 1999 MGF, 1972 Ford Cortina Mk3 Citroen Picasso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
This is another (two and a half year old thread) which has been revived by a newbie with a pointless post. Why do they do that??
probably because they own the locksmith link?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-05-2017, 21:45

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
But Bren has been here for several years.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-05-2017, 23:27

The post that I had referred to has been removed (illicitly advertising the posters own auto locksmith business), so it is now somewhat out of place.

I wasn't having a go at Bren over anything - I think he had just got drawn into replying by the sudden random post and probably hadn't noticed the age of the thread.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-05-2017, 13:31

It was late when I replied so didn't notice the date lol and ad must have been already removed but no worries