MG ZS 180 Battery cable size? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 22:32 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZS
MG ZS 180 Battery cable size?

Hi all,

Looking to relocate the battery to the boot in my ZS 180.

Just wanted to find out if anyone knows what size cable either in mm2 or AWG the original Battery cables to the Mega fuse and starter motor are?

I'll be using 50mm2 (0 Gauge) cable from the boot to a distribution box under the bonnet, so ideally need to know the sizes to order one with the correct outlet sizes.

I've read people have just connected to the Mega fuse and then to the starter motor but i have another 10mm2 cable feeding an extra fuse box.

Thanks,
Connor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 23:52 Thread Starter

50mm2 only has a diameter of 13mm so it's not extremely big.
Most people doing battery relocations have this size cable so the voltage drop isn't as high and the current carrying capacity isn't diminished with such a long length.

16mm2 seems way too small to me, it's only rated at around 70amps. Where as the 50mm2 is rated to around 300amps.

Looking at your photo i'd still need a distribution block since there doesn't look the room to add another cable to the mega fuse terminals and still close the fuse box lid without drilling an extra hole.

I appreciate your help though

Thanks,
Connor.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:13 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingcars View Post
A bit of confusion here, if the cable you plan to use is only 13mm diameter then a cable that is 16mm diameter is bigger.....................

If you look at the fuse box there is a "break out" section where I have routed the cable from the rear, almost as if it was designed to be used like this.

If you are running an additional fuse box it should be after the large fuse, not before, so your supply should come from the other bolt (top of the picture) where there is plenty of room to run the smaller cable.

You are welcome, I've done this on 3 cars now so am happy to share the details.
Not particularly sure how there is confusion from my wording, cable size is always refered to as mm2 being the cross sectional area.
50mm2 is the planned cable size. Which i mentioned has an actual diameter of 13mm.

You mention you used 16mm cable. Now i don't know whether you meant to put it down as 16mm2 or 16mm diameter. In which case 16mm diameter cable is larger than 50mm2.

If however you used 16mm2 cable, that has a nominal diameter of 9.1mm, and cannot carry the neccessary amps to start the engine properly especially with the associated volt drop. As many other battery relocation users have mentioned when doing this to other cars.

So i can only assume you mean you've used 16mm diameter cable rather than specify the correct terminology of mm2 (CSA)?

Yes that's correct there is an additional formed section in the fuse box and cover to look as if it can be used for cable routing.
My extra fuse box carries a fuse of 80amps so it doesn't matter if it connects before or after the mega fuse since it's protected by it's own separate fuse.

There doesn't seem to be much room at the top of the fuse box especially since the wiring loom attaches at this point as well as the alternator lead.

Thanks,
Connor.

Last edited by MG_ZS_180; 07-01-2017 at 11:20.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 21:45

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Problem solved.