• 1 Post By Bren10
  • 1 Post By Bren10
  • 1 Post By Bren10

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 15:23 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 420 TD, Rover 45iXL TD. MG Metro, MG ZS TD
MG ZS centre console/heater control removal

Hi,
How does the centre console/heater control panel come out on a 2004/54 plate MG ZS.
On the earlier model the centre console lifts away, leaving the heater control dials screwed to the metal frame.
On my 54 plate ZS the heater controls seem attached to the centre console so I dont seem to be able to remove it because the wiring plugs and heater control cables are still attached from the rear and are inaccesible.
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 20:10

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Do you have climate control or manual controls?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 00:05

Car: MG ZS
The heater panel is attached to the centre console via 4 star shaped (or maybe just regular hex) screws.

They are an absolute pain to get off and even worse to put back on.

You'll need an L shaped screw driver to gain access to them or maybe if you're a master contortionist you can get a long length screwdriver in behind from the front of the car by the pedals.

Either way there are 4 screws holding it on.

do NOT try and yank it off like the earlier models, pulling the unit out will break the tension wire brackets that hold in the wire for the heater control. Fixing that section is a complete pain as well so might as well make your life only half hellish.

Either way, I just want to say, good luck, we're all counting on you.

Pilzy likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargatemunky View Post
You'll need an L shaped screw driver to gain access to them or maybe if you're a master contortionist you can get a long length screwdriver in behind from the front of the car by the pedals.
Or a 1/4 drive socket set with screwdriver attachments.
Pilzy likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 10:20 Thread Starter

Yes it does have air con fitted.
Thanks for the advice/help so far, it felt as if it was being held elsewhere, glad I didnt just give it an extra tug.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingcars View Post
Or a 1/4 drive socket set with screwdriver attachments.
Yeah I couldn't get it to fit without pulling off the wiring harness.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 18:17 Thread Starter

They are just normal (x4) cross head self tapping screws that old the heater control in.
You can't get a 1/4 drive ratchet with the correct scew bit or a standard screwdriver in due to the dash frame sitting directly behind it.
So i stood on my head in the footwells, eased the grey plastic outer part of the centre console to the side and undid the 6 (x3 each side) screws which hold it to the metallic silver centre section.

Once the outer is removed, access to the 4 screws holding the heater control is much easier.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 19:03 Thread Starter

Question

I did add some pictures to my previous post but they dont seem to have uploaded ....
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 20:10

Quote:
Do you have climate control or manual controls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglad View Post
Yes it does have air con fitted.
Climate control is digital air con,
Alternatively most models have analogue controls.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 20:21

Pilzy likes this.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 00:13

When I removed my original console with standard aircon to do one of my climate conversions I didn't need to do that. With the arm rest out, 2 side screws on console in foot wells, 2 screws behind top console switches and the 1 screw under radio cage. Then it's just unclip the 2 cables for heater controls which are next to clutch pedal in driver footwell. Then you slide console back and unclip wiring connectors for clock, cigar lighter etc and lift out.
You need to take care with the side screws you have removed as they strip easily, I have found a few that have been overtightened in the factory and won't secure back correctley. Climate control setup is so much easier as you don have the heater control cables which are a major pain.
Pilzy likes this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 19:04

I still haven't bothered screwing mine back in after 9 months.

Just can't be bothered to faff with those screws yet.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 19:46 Thread Starter

Clarification

Quote:
Climate control is digital air con,
Alternatively most models have analogue controls.

Ahh, my mistake. I hadn't read your question properly.
Yes mine does have air con, but only with the manual/analogue controls.

And thanks for getting the pictures to work
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 19:52 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren10 View Post
You need to take care with the side screws you have removed as they strip easily, I have found a few that have been overtightened in the factory and won't secure back correctley. Climate control setup is so much easier as you don have the heater control cables which are a major pain.
Yes, one seems to have stripped and another one of the "proud lugs" that the screws fasten into had broken off. Not sure if this was factory fitted or maybe the dash has been out at some point, it has covered 180K after all

Is there much involved in the digital set up, both effort and cost wise?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 21:07

To fit the climate control you'll need to swap the heater box (dash out job), change the blower resistor, add the extra wiring and a couple of sensors, "Bren" has detailed the conversion if you search for threads he has started.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 00:27

As above dash out, change heater box as there are 3 sensors and 2 servos for flap control. I did both our ZS mk2 cars 6 years ago with 40 and 50 thousand miles on them but was luck I got my first set up vitally free. It's a nice setup and I prefer to standard but at today's value not really worth it. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it lol
First upgrade I did

And the second upgrade with extra clocks installed, yes I do have heated front and rear seats the switches aren't for show

Pilzy likes this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 21:16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren10 View Post
As above dash out, change heater box as there are 3 sensors and 2 servos for flap control. I did both our ZS mk2 cars 6 years ago with 40 and 50 thousand miles on them but was luck I got my first set up vitally free. It's a nice setup and I prefer to standard but at today's value not really worth it. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it lol
I have just had the dash/heater box out and its all now back in, so I don't think I will be doing the job twice (fingers crossed).
I know what you mean about it not being really worth it, that said it does look good.
What models were they fitted to as standard? Or was it an option that had to be specified?
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 10:34

Only mg that got climate was the mk2 ZS 180, the facelift 45 however have them on many variants, 1.4 / 1.6 / 1.8 / 2.0 diesel and V6 models. I had the parts for my first conversion of a 45 club se 1.4 model and the second ZS got parts off a 45 coneseur 1.6. I have have all the parts for another conversion in the shed including heater box with sensors and servos. I have a couple of exterior temp sensors as well as 2 transistor packs and sensors. It always good to have spares as a lot of parts are no longer available.
The climate set up is much better than standard aircon, it gives more speed range on blower and I am sure it blows faster on max than when I had the original setup. Plus you gain ice warning, exterior temp read out but best of all the climate you set to a temp ( hot or cold ) and system will switch off when desired temp is reached and back on if temp goes out of desired temp.
Pilzy likes this.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 15-03-2017, 00:47

This is one mod I NEED in my 2005 ZS 120 mark 2. This along with electric windows in the rear.

Best place to look for the climate control set up is a 45? Will have to trawl the local scrappies as the 45 is also my best bet for the rear electric windows components.

What are all the parts required for the climate control conversion Bren10? My ZS has air con so I guess that is a start!

Bloody MG has all but taken over my life! It`s certainly taking ALL of the little money I had. Of course, deciding to go the ZT 1.8 turbo conversion root hasn`t helped. Just feel with a turbo under the bonnet the ZS could very easily be all the car I`ll ever need.

MG. Who knew?

Last edited by Pilzy; 15-03-2017 at 01:20.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 15-03-2017, 17:07

Climate conversion is a dash out job due to having to replace the heater box which has 2 servo motors to operate flaps instead of cable,s and 3 sensors.
So you will need the following.
Heater box with servo,s and sensors.
Sun sensor on top of dash.
Exterior temp sensor behind passenger fog light.
Transistor pack and fitting which replaces resistor pack on top of blower unit.
LCD control unit, console face plate and the sensor fan on rear of face plate.
You also need the extra wiring to connect it all up and an extra relay which sits behind console for aircon. There,s about 8 wires to connect in if I remember correctly.
I hav most of the parts in my shed as it's handy to keep spares due to most no longer being available. There is now a lot of info on carrying out the job on old posts of mine and a couple of others who I helped on forum, unlike when I did my first one as it had not been done before lol.
I know I have the heater box but there is only one servo as I sold one to a member who was desperate for a servo and could not find one. The 3 sensors and wiring with wire for servos. I have a couple of exterior temp sensors one has the other connector to main loom. I have 2 transistor packs one has the adaptor plate to fix to blower unit. Also have a sunsensor and wire for top of dash. Most of loom needed is there but I don't have the bit with the relay but that can be made up with any original rover relay and socket of same type to connect to the loom. I have the load unit but it's was adapted to take 2 extra heated seat switches as I have rear heated seats as well as fronts
I also have my daughters mk2 to strip or sell which has climate conversion, rear parking sensors, heated fron at seats and rear electric windows all of which I fitted. Also has Honda front interior light and Renault rear interior light which have map reading lights and rear have red ambient led, illuminated switches and dimmer. Everything works on car, flew through last few mots no advisories, has longlife cat back system and is in firefrost red. It's a 1.8 with full 180 kit and 11 spokes 2 new tyres on front which have only done couple of hundred miles as she bought a new Nissan SUV in August when she had her son so ZS has been stood since.
Pilzy likes this.