MG ZS Drivers Door Card - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-04-2017, 09:00 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZS
MG ZS Drivers Door Card

Hi,

I need to remove my drivers side door card as the window appears to have come away from its tracks, has anyone got any tips on removing the door facia to get to the window?

Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 00:52

Not difficult, there are two large head Phillips screws on grab handle ( I recommend using a the correct size head to prevent it slipping and a magnetic end makes life easier when replacing but not essential).
Next the is a small plastic screw at the top front edge of door car level with mirror, remove plastic screw just over half way then pull it out along with base.
That's it you just need to release the clips along edge of door card, you can use a trim tool or large flat head screw driver if you like but put some card under head not to damage paint but they come off fairly easy so try pulling base with your fingers first as this works for me. Start along bottom edge and work your way around. Once they are all released hold bottom edge out slightly and lift door card up over door edge and locking pin but remember window switch is still connected. Once free unplug switch and place card to one side.
To get at window reg you need to lift plastic membrane up to gain access but be warned the adhesive is horrible stuff lol, gets on your hands then everywhere else and it's a ***** to get off, I use thinners as most other stuff doesn't touch it. If it's cold then good as adhesive isn't so sticky and I recommend using a Stanley blade the cut through adhesive if it's hard ( warm weather makes it very messy ). The other way to gain access is to cut the plastic leaving adhesive in place and when finished used duck tape the seal where you have cut the plastic.
When you are in check all the mounting bolts on regulator, motor and channel mounts as it's common for them come undone. While you are there also give channel a goo clean and the lube them up before reassembly.
Hope it goes well for you Bren.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:16

Car: CityRover
you forgot about the door opener screw and how to remove it, i cannot get mine to release as tension is on it all the time

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:26

Sorry it was very late when I posted. There is a Phillips screw behind the interior door handle, remove the screw. The slide the handle forward slightly then ease it out carefully a little. It's still attached to the linkage arm, if you look behind the handle you will see a plastic clip securing linkage to handle. You need to release the plastic clip by turning it 90 % and the lift out link arm, I use a small flat head screw driver. Interior door handle can now be removed along with door card. Take care with clip as they break easily.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 18:21

Car: CityRover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren10 View Post
The slide the handle forward slightly then ease it out carefully a little.
that's the bit i couldn't figure out or find in the Haynes manual
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 10:14 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

The adhesive is, as you say, a nightmare, got everywhere including onto my new Fit 2 watch ... don't tell the Mrs!!

Located the problem, the bottom right hand side of the window comes out from its mount, so it keeps coming out from the guides.

Does anyone know, apart from a scrappys that I cant be bothered going to etc, where I can purchase these mounts from?

Only thing I didn't do as it was getting dark and needed to get the card back on, was to undo the bolt and take the mount off to check it, so not too sure why, when I've pushed the window onto the mount it keeps coming out when winding the window down.

Cheers.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 20:09

Unfortunately these mounts are not available separate, what I have done in the past was use windscreen bonding to stick it back to the glass. You can buy a tube of bonding from any good motor factors and it's less than a tenner. Remove the mount to clean off old adhesive and clean glass where it meets mount then apply the bonding put window up and leave it overnight, the bonding usually sets in a couple of hours but leave to be on safe side an ddont forget to clean and lube all the window guides and regulator while you have access.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 10:13

I highly advise you use a cloth to wrap the flat head screwdriver when you lever the door card off.

This will prevent your paintwork from being scratched to pieces.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 12:26

I don't bother as I use my fingers to pop door card off lol.