MG ZS intermittent gear issues - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 21-03-2017, 03:37 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZS
MG ZS intermittent gear issues

Hi all, new herealthiugh ive been lurking on the forums for a few weeks

I have an intermittent gear issue with my ZS and just trying to get my head around it all as I WHAT steps to take next.

At times there is an issue getting 1st and reverse, other times they all seem a little bit difficult to get yet other times they all seem fairly smooth. The clutch pedal is sitting quite high and wondering if this is related Or Not?!?

I got the gearbox oil changed on Saturday and that seemed to really help initially when I drove it home, then yesterday morning it seemed quite stiff again, mainly 1st and reverse then yesterday afternoon all seemed minimally stiff ......so frustrating ..... then did 2 journeys last night and on the trip out it was more difficult to get 1st and reverse, then the trip home lateish last night when it had turned quite cold it was as smooth as anything ...... my fella says there is too much play in the gearstick too ....... any tips on what process I should go through to try and get to the bottom of it, any simple tips to try and test it out/eliminate possible issues?

Hope you can help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 21-03-2017, 13:26

Car: 2002 Rover 75 CDTI tourer, 1999 Rover 400 (1.6) (sold), Metros: 1993 GTI MPI, 1984 1275 and 1989 998
regarding how stiff your gear change feels it would be nice to know exactly what oil was put in and what type of gearbox you have (what engine is in the car)

regarding the play in the gearstick, some of the links between your gearstick and the gearbox could be worn, this should be quite easy to check while under the car
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 21-03-2017, 19:05
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
The clutch pedals sits high on these cars so that in itself isn't a great worry. There is a fix for this but the effect can be insignificant.

There are three different manual gearboxes on these cars and all three suffer from sloppy gear linkages with age but generally it can be remedied.

Where along the travel of the pedal does the clutch bite? Low (near the floor) or high? Is the bite quite sudden or is it fairly progressive? Is the operation smooth and light or stiff and heavy?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 21-03-2017, 20:29

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Hi and welcome to the forum

Which model do you have?

As above, what oil did they use?

The clutch hydraulics are a weak part on the ZS 180, there are solutions.

James