Oil Leak Pipe - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-02-2015, 13:51 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45 2.0td '05
Oil Leak Pipe

This may sound quite stupid for being too vague but I'm at a loss. I had my 45 Diesel 2005 at the garage yesterday and they said I have an oil leak coming from the pipe somewhere between the sump and oil filter. They said they couldn't be more specific and could be called anything. Can anyone tell what pipe they will be referring to/know the name of it or link what I should be looking for as they said if I can source it they will fit it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-02-2015, 14:20

Car: 2004 45 conni TD Saloon
A very common problem on the 45 diesel, have a look at the DMGRS site - hes a member on here - and does them at a very reasonable price.

Also, replace both at the same time as if ones gone the others probably not far behind.

Have a look for any of his posts and these pipes are on the list in his footer.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-02-2015, 14:37

Car: R45 TD

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 15-02-2015, 15:21
rqt

Car: Rover 45
If "can't be more specific" is the best your garage can do then you desperately need a new garage.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-02-2015, 17:31 Thread Starter

It is weird they can't say the name of the part but the garage I go to have always been spot on with my car and never had any complaints. I showed them a photo from DMGRS site of the oil cooler pipes and said it isn't them. Said it's a pipe that's all metal, anyone have any other ideas what pipe it could be in that area?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-02-2015, 19:56

Car: 2004 45 conni TD Saloon
These are the pipes that go into the oil cooler near the oil filter.

From memory I can't think of any other pipes in that area.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-02-2015, 06:14

Car: MG ZS
could be the oil pressure or return pipe on the vaccum pump which is fitted to the end of the alternator,its very like a brake pipe,dont think you can buy them new,it may be easier to get second hand pump complete with the pipe as they usually snap when you try to take out of the vaccum pump.I had this on my diesel zs it took a while to figure out exactly where it was leaking from
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-02-2015, 06:34 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies lads, I'm going to try and stick with the garage and hopefully I can find out what part it is. Failing that I know someone who should be able to look at it and get a second opinion on it to get it verified.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-02-2015, 15:32 Thread Starter

I can't get down to have a look at the sump area but I did take these photos from pipes and around the alternator. Could it be related to the leak the garage mentioned or would this just be built up dirt, at a guess?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-02-2015, 16:29
rqt

Car: Rover 45
The rubber pipes in your photographs are for the power steering, the larger diameter one is from the reservoir to the pump & the other is the return from the steering rack to the reservoir. They do tend to weep at the ends with the original clips fitted, and can eventually drip quite badly at the steering pump end if not attended to - this drips onto the air con compressor & then drips off the bottom of the air con compressor into the undertray at the front of the sump. The solution is to replace the clips at any leaking joints with normal worm drive ("Jubilee" type) clips - this can be done without separating the joints but it may be necessary to remove the alternator to get at the clip on the pump. The clip at the reservoir end of the pipe to the pump has already been replaced. You may also have a leaking power steering pump - I thought mine was but it turned out to be just the hose clip at fault.

Last edited by rqt; 18-02-2015 at 16:36.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-03-2015, 20:55 Thread Starter

Just in case it's a help to anyone in the future I'll post an update. I replaced the one original clip on the reservoir end with a jubilee clip. It was still leaking but I think that was down to me not tightening it 100% purely through fear of something snapping. I then tightened it as far as it would go and touch wood the leak appears to have stopped assuming there are no others.