Rocking cyl head to break gasket - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 09:49 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
Rocking cyl head to break gasket

Haynes manuals talks about inserting two L shaped bars into head bolt holds and rocking it - presumably to break the seal without disturbing the liners.

What does rocking mean exactly? Rocking left to right?

Does it mean attempting to pivot the head about the exhaust side (i.e rotate inlet manifold up over towards the front of the car, about the exhaust side of the head as a pivot ) ?

ALSO : What position should put the engine in before dismantling? I seem to remember something about 90 past TDC but I can't see this in manual.

Finally, the manual I have is for 1 400, not my 2005 45. There is something about a new bolt tightening sequence or setting?

Thanks

Last edited by Bunsen Honeydew; 21-04-2017 at 10:00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 20:05

By rocking it means up and down. I usually grab the inlet manifold end and pull it up and down, it usually comes away fairly easy and I have never had a liner come out with the head so you should be fine.
The engine has to be set 90 degrees before TDC, you should see a mark on the cam belt cover that you line up with the mark on the bottom pulley.
As for torque settings they should be the same but post it on here and we can confirm its correct.
As long as you don't try to turn the engine with the head off the liners should be okay, it's unusual for them to move by themselves.
Good luck.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 20:08

Thinking about it you may find this has an automatic tensioner for the cam belt instead of a manual one, I'm not sure if the book mentions how to set them up, it's straight forward anyway.