rough running 1.4 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 20:49 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45, Classic mini (on blocks at mo)
Question rough running 1.4

Hi folks,

Back with another problem....

I put a new battery in my 45 1.4 yesterday. A Varta C6. Much higher amp hour rating than my old battery, in readiness for winter. And yes, its listed as suitable for the car. Can't see how this could possibly relate to the problem I've subsequently had but thought I should mention it anyway.

Last night I started the car and it was running like a tractor at first. After about 10 or 15 seconds it ran OK and didn't miss a beat from there on. I should mention that it was very cold last night.

Again, today, I used the car in the early afternoon. It started and ran perfectly. Temperature was about 12 degrees.

Tonight, its freezing (ice on roof and bonnet), and I've just used the car to nip to the local shop. Running like a pig again for the first 10-20 seconds. Sounds like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders. After that its ran sweet, accelerated well etc.

I'm thinking the problem is related to the outside temperature. Could it be the plugs/leads? Anyone had a similar problem?

BTW the car is a 2003 model with 39k on the clock.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 21:41

Car: Rover 45 impresssion s
Smile

you are describing exactly the same symptoms that i get/got ......fine in the summer iffy in the winter ......i have been given several reasons so if it helps it could be a sticky valve or hydraulic tappet ....for that try a oil change use a 15-40 semi synthetic add a flush agent just prior with a additive afterwards for the tappets etc ....the other possibility is a leaking IMG it can leak internally into cylinder 1 causing a misfire for a few seconds you can check your leads as well but i did with mine but it didnt help ......PS i doing my IMG next week...done the oil earlier in the year but it aint been cold down here yet ...hope this helps....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 21:43

Car: MG ZS 180ish 02 plate/ VW Golf Gt tdi 05 plate/ Saab 9000 Aero N Reg/ Pug 206 Gti (140)/Astra gsi
Send a message via MSN to Bobadob
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudspeirs View Post
Hi folks,

Back with another problem....

I put a new battery in my 45 1.4 yesterday. A Varta C6. Much higher amp hour rating than my old battery, in readiness for winter. And yes, its listed as suitable for the car. Can't see how this could possibly relate to the problem I've subsequently had but thought I should mention it anyway.

Last night I started the car and it was running like a tractor at first. After about 10 or 15 seconds it ran OK and didn't miss a beat from there on. I should mention that it was very cold last night.

Again, today, I used the car in the early afternoon. It started and ran perfectly. Temperature was about 12 degrees.

Tonight, its freezing (ice on roof and bonnet), and I've just used the car to nip to the local shop. Running like a pig again for the first 10-20 seconds. Sounds like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders. After that its ran sweet, accelerated well etc.

I'm thinking the problem is related to the outside temperature. Could it be the plugs/leads? Anyone had a similar problem?

BTW the car is a 2003 model with 39k on the clock.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Check IMG .. Gives same symptoms as HGF , Rough idle steam from exhaust , Lumpy as ferk on startup

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 22:41 Thread Starter

Thanks,

Don't think it could be the IMG. I changed it when I did the head gasket last December. No Problems since then. She was serviced about 8k ago and I used a good semi-synth oil so I don't thing there are problems there. Don't anticipate any tappet/cam problems either as the head was dismantled to install 2 new valves and everything was checked at that stage (also last December).

I was wondering if it could be a coil pack problem??
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 23:03

Car: MG ZS 180ish 02 plate/ VW Golf Gt tdi 05 plate/ Saab 9000 Aero N Reg/ Pug 206 Gti (140)/Astra gsi
Send a message via MSN to Bobadob
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudspeirs View Post
Thanks,

Don't think it could be the IMG. I changed it when I did the head gasket last December. No Problems since then. She was serviced about 8k ago and I used a good semi-synth oil so I don't thing there are problems there. Don't anticipate any tappet/cam problems either as the head was dismantled to install 2 new valves and everything was checked at that stage (also last December).

I was wondering if it could be a coil pack problem??
Honestly buddy unless you used the uprated img from rimmer bro's , i had 3 go in 2 years !!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 20:33 Thread Starter

Another update that may shed some light?....

Started her up again tonight. Bitterly cold again and she started like a tractor. I noticed a very strong smell of unburnt fuel from the exhaust. Would I be correct in assuming it's likely to be an ignition problem rather than the IMG or the tappets?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 21:57

Car: Rover 45
How old are your plugs? It might be worth changing them. Check the gap and condition at least.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 23:21 Thread Starter

Thanks for that. New plugs ordered. BTW, got a mega bargain on ebay - 4 genuine MG/Rover Platinum plugs for 8.00!! Here's hoping.....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 23:28

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
The smell of unburned fuel doesn't tell you much other than it's not a shortage of fuel.

For any sort of misfire I always reckon you should start at the plugs and work back through the ignition system. The problem may be elsewhere but you have to start somewhere and removing the plugs is one of the easier jobs.

However, in your case, since the problem clears itself after 10-20 seconds, I would be less confident than usual that it's the ignition system at fault. After 2-3 minutes, a car can warm up enough to clear minor electrical issues, but a few seconds is pushing it.