So i bought some K-seal - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 16-01-2017, 18:26 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZS
So i bought some K-seal

Do not worry! my MG has not been subjected to this liquid filth, i have an old, rather broken Vauxhall Frontera that has a serious case of head gasket failure between a water jacket and a combustion chamber, i am looking for a new engine to replace this one so whats the harm in trying to bodge this one to work just a little bit longer i thought.

So after shelling out 30 quid! on a bottle of this liquid glitter i added the whole lot to the rad and ran it up to temperature as per instructions and the usual happened, coolant boiled and pressurised which spat it out the overflow and all over the engine bay, however once topped back up with a bit of water, a miracle happened, the engine lasted 15 mins without overheating, i even drove it about, sat in traffic and nothing! no overheating, no boiling! normal levels of pressure in the rad and it even stopped steaming from the exhaust!

Very good, it seems like the glitter has indeed fixed the leak, however only time will tell how much damage this stuff really does! i will keep you all posted on my findings and results of various tests, i plan on taking the front ender off roading which is notoriously hard on the coolant system (lots of revs and effort at low speeds, sudden hot/cold cycles etc)

Don't get me wrong, i would never use this stuff in a car i loved like my ZS, however for a cheap banger that you couldn't care less about, it might just prolong its life until the next MOT

Cheers all

Roo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 16-01-2017, 18:51

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
saw the topic and was looking for the punch line lol.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 16-01-2017, 18:57
Banned

Car: MG ZR
" i will keep you all posted on my findings"

Only if you really really must!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 16-01-2017, 18:57
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Interesting - keep us posted.

gnu
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-01-2017, 08:34

Car: mg zs 180 mk1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furryroo View Post
Do not worry! my MG has not been subjected to this liquid filth, i have an old, rather broken Vauxhall Frontera that has a serious case of head gasket failure between a water jacket and a combustion chamber, i am looking for a new engine to replace this one so whats the harm in trying to bodge this one to work just a little bit longer i thought.

So after shelling out 30 quid! on a bottle of this liquid glitter i added the whole lot to the rad and ran it up to temperature as per instructions and the usual happened, coolant boiled and pressurised which spat it out the overflow and all over the engine bay, however once topped back up with a bit of water, a miracle happened, the engine lasted 15 mins without overheating, i even drove it about, sat in traffic and nothing! no overheating, no boiling! normal levels of pressure in the rad and it even stopped steaming from the exhaust!

Very good, it seems like the glitter has indeed fixed the leak, however only time will tell how much damage this stuff really does! i will keep you all posted on my findings and results of various tests, i plan on taking the front ender off roading which is notoriously hard on the coolant system (lots of revs and effort at low speeds, sudden hot/cold cycles etc)

Don't get me wrong, i would never use this stuff in a car i loved like my ZS, however for a cheap banger that you couldn't care less about, it might just prolong its life until the next MOT

Cheers all

Roo
i used this ages ago like coming up for 6 months now! had a mysterious coolant loss topping the header tank up every three months or so! no mayo, no signs of hgf, temperature normal, no power loss or spluttering but loosing a tank of coolant every three or so months theremostat housing and v area dry, checked this whilst doing a cam shaft gasket on the back had a blocked oil divider causing a dry tappet nearest the firewall any way back to the leak, so i bought K-seal only 250ml and hey did the trick for me car later over 2000miles and 6 or so months later still going strong but i must admit the amount some people are using does seem extreme with this guess its like cooking you can add but never take away and i do drive my car fairly tough i will let you know if it gives
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-01-2017, 09:26

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furryroo View Post
....., i have an old, rather broken Vauxhall Frontera that has a serious case of head gasket failure between a water jacket and a combustion chamber, i am looking for a new engine to replace this one so whats the harm in trying to bodge this one to work just a little bit longer i thought.
It will probably work fine on an engine with a metal gasket - it is designed to seal gaps and cracks in metal.

It is reviled as far as the K series is concerned because it isn't going to provide any kind of reliable seal between a damaged silicone elastomer bead (which can move, compress or swell) and the alloy head (there is of course the matter of possibly blocking the narrow coolant passage between the stainless steel plate of the gasket and the head, and the couple of reported instances of K-Seal sealing the thermostat permanently shut!).
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-01-2017, 10:06 Thread Starter

not 100% sure what gasket is in this ecotec engine, though i assume it will probably be metal, i cant say i have heard of elastomer gaskets in anything other than k-series engines however in this situation with this engine it does seem to have worked, again i am not calling it a permanent fix for head gasket problems, this is more a temporary bodge, at the moment the thermostat is still opening, the heating is still working and all seems well on the engine side, though for just how long remains to be seen!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 20:09 Thread Starter

ok! update time

After a promising 2 weeks of relatively trouble free motoring, it would appear that the coolant system is not happy again, sitting for too long in traffic results in overheating and long trips usually result in the blowers going cold and the worlds largest airlock in the radiator

will be giving it another week or so then will most likely be testing k-seals "money back" guarantee and see where i get with that
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 27-02-2017, 21:18 Thread Starter

ok another update! the k-seal has definitely failed, after looking promising for a week the coolant is back to pressurising all over again, i have filled out a refund claim form and given evidence of the failure (which they ask for) in the form of a video:

the rep was very apologetic in his e-mail so we will see how well they stand up to their money back guarantee which oddly enough, despite claiming this is an ultimate permanent fix for head gaskets, you can only claim your money back within 26 days

It may well work for others but for me, it most certainly has not, will keep you all updated

Cheers all

Roo
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 27-02-2017, 21:29

If you expect it to do anything more than get you home you're being overly optimistic.

It's great for fixing radiator leaks because they are usually so mall and just rust issues.

Gasket leaks, kinda, but only expect it on giant iron engine blocks that don't really warp much to begin with.

The principle of how it works is sound but you can't do it for anything but tiny gaps because any bigger and it will simply clog up the main channels.

I've tested it on a simple wire mesh filter which is about the size of a REALLY fine sieve and it works incredibly well, but simply physics means that any engine can output more pressure than a few microns of copper can manage,.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 27-02-2017, 21:51 Thread Starter

to be totally honest i wasnt expecting it to work at all, so no real surprises for me, the bottle claims to be able to seal gaps of up to 0.635mm which i have no idea how big the gap in the Frontera gasket is, either way its down to the k-seal company now to see if they honour their money back guarantee!

Also i now have one hell of a clean up job trying to get it out of everything

Cheers

Roo
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 27-02-2017, 21:58

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
Not all head gasket failures are the same...

Any that involve combustion gasses will require a miracle to fix via a coolant additive because the pressures are so great. On the other hand, if it's simply the case that coolant is leaking, a successful outcome is realistic, being no more difficult than sealing a radiator.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 27-02-2017, 22:42

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
I would second the above - if it is either exhaust gases or oil under pressure forcing their way into the coolant system, they will be constantly pushing the sealer the wrong way. To work, such products need to make their way through the crack or gap with the leaking coolant to seal it up - in other words, it may work if coolant is leaking out of the coolant system, but is highly unlikely to be successful if things are going the other way.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 28-02-2017, 08:26 Thread Starter

again this was something i was sceptical off as it even says on the bottle that the stuff works by "sealing pressure differentials in in the coolant system" it also claims to be able to fix cracks in blocks! however does state that it is not suitable for oil to coolant leaks, however in this case the only way i thought it could work is once the engine was stopped then all that pressure would work its way back through the gap and into the cylinder, giving it a chance to seal the hole, but then of course once you start the engine again i doubt the copper glitter would have enough strength to hold back combustion gasses.

Either way on the plus side the product does not seem to have blocked any other areas in the system, the heater matrix still works, the thermostat still opens, no sign of the engine having any trouble other than the usual known issues

awaiting a reply to the refund claim today, see what they say

Many thanks

Roo
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 19:17
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
After viewing your interesting thread, I got a banner advertisement for k-seal across the top of the screen, complete with Roger Mellie wearing a baseball cap. Spooky

Last edited by gnu; 01-03-2017 at 20:31.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 19:34

Car: Rover 75
K seal is great for getting you to the garage for a trade in price!!!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 19:52 Thread Starter

Well a small update, the lovely gent on the other end of the e-mails says that the video is evidence enough that the k-seal has not worked and so will be processing my refund shortly, in fact tomorrow!

All in all cannot fault the customer service

Cheers all

Roo