Some advice about Rover 45 head gaskets - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-09-2007, 15:40 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
Some advice about Rover 45 head gaskets

We have a Rover 45 W reg with about 45000 miles on the clock. The engine uses water and the oil is becommomng discoloured. From what I have read on here I guess its the head gasket.

Could someone give me and idea what it would cost to correct this as we want to keep the car and understand that there are now better products that mean the problem could dissapear.

Also is there anyone in the Cotswolds, Nr Cheltenham who could do the work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-09-2007, 15:56
Never forgotten

Car: Other Manufacturer. Previously - more Rovers than I care to remember.
When you say that the oil is discoloured, do you mean that there is a dirty coloured sludge on the dipstick and oil filler cap? If so, then you have head gasket failure and it will cost you between £250 and £500 depending on who does it and what parts they change. Parts should include cam belt and tensioner plus water pump.

If there are no signs of mayonnaise in the oil, the coolant loss may well be for another reason. They don't all fail gaskets!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-09-2007, 16:21 Thread Starter

The car needs topping up with water once a week, there is a fine spray of oil on the large coolent hose in front of the rad. Only a small amount of dirty coloured sludge is visable inside the oil cap.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-09-2007, 17:37
Never forgotten

There should be no oil on the outside. Can you see where it is coming from?

If there is only a small amount of mayo under the cap, it could be due to only making short trips. It is difficult to say without seeing it.

Top up once a week could indicate a coolant pump leak. This amount would dry up before you could see it. It could also be a leak from any number of other places which can blow away in the wind before you can see them. Try feeling round with a kitchen towel to see if you can find traces.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-09-2007, 18:03

Car: Rover 75 1.8T
Inlet manifold gasket is a possibility, just had mine replaced as it leaked when cold, needed a litre when topping up daily and only leaked when cold
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-09-2007, 21:58

Car: Rover 416IXL, Saxo VTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Macadoo View Post
Inlet manifold gasket is a possibility, just had mine replaced as it leaked when cold, needed a litre when topping up daily and only leaked when cold
This on the new 45?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-09-2007, 23:09

Car: Rover 420 (95-99)
you're just looking for an excuse to pull the thing apart rover king ...
young and eager to learn ..

good on you .

all the best.mark
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-09-2007, 20:52

Car: Rover 416IXL, Saxo VTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboard_epsilon View Post
you're just looking for an excuse to pull the thing apart rover king ...
young and eager to learn ..

good on you .

all the best.mark
Well yes I do want to pull it apart, but it does leak coolant, and was misfiring upon startup in the morning. I think its just the inlet manifold gasket, but I dont want to do the inlet manifold gasket and have a new timing belt etc. fitted and then the head gasket does blow in a few thousand miles time and its all gotta come off.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-09-2007, 22:31
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoad View Post
We have a Rover 45 W reg with about 45000 miles on the clock. The engine uses water and the oil is becommomng discoloured. From what I have read on here I guess its the head gasket.

Could someone give me and idea what it would cost to correct this as we want to keep the car and understand that there are now better products that mean the problem could dissapear.

Also is there anyone in the Cotswolds, Nr Cheltenham who could do the work.
Not always the case.

So, what exactly, if anything, is wrong with your car. Impossible to be certain 'remotely' from here but, from what you describe, not a lot I would say.

It may simply be suffering only from the kind of use that along with say a worn expansion bottle cap, gives the conditions you describe. With such a low mileage I suspect that only short journeys are the car's regular use levels. If this is the case, a few decent long runs could improve things.

Firstly, above all you or someone must identify what if anything is wrong. If it does need a replacement cylinder head gasket, I know of someone local who can do the job both well and at reasonable cost. However, lets not jump that hurdle until it appears.

I work and live not far from Cheltenham so could have a look ~ best to do that after you've got some professional opinions and recommendations. Even if a damaged cylinder head gasket is indicated, get at least one other 2nd opinion. The first one may not be good advice, particularly if from someone with a 'they all do that' mindset ~ avoid like the ........

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 20-09-2007, 22:47

Car: Rover 420 (95-99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover_King View Post
Well yes I do want to pull it apart, but it does leak coolant, and was misfiring upon startup in the morning. I think its just the inlet manifold gasket, but I dont want to do the inlet manifold gasket and have a new timing belt etc. fitted and then the head gasket does blow in a few thousand miles time and its all gotta come off.

whoops ...sorry rover king and Roadtoad about that ...should of apeared on another post of roverking ...so probably didnt make a lot of sence to you or others ...lol

all the best.mark
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 24-03-2009, 14:25

Rover 45 Gunk in water tank, Help!!

Hi, CAN YOU HELP!! ive got a rover 45 W reg 1.8 IXL (70,000 on clock), ive known the car for about 2 years as it was a friends, bought it about a month ago then had the cambelt and oil changed (as far as I know the Head Gasket has never gone). Since this time there seems to be a build up of light brown coloured gunk accumilating around the sides of the water tank. Ive cleaned it out and after about 100 miles its back again.

The car does not overheat and there is no sign of water in the oil, it drives fine, just this sludge in the water tank. Could this be the begginings of a Head Gasket problem, or just crap in the radiator?
Im a bit apprehensive as I have to drive 400 miles to scarborough tomorrow!

PLEASE HELP!!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 24-03-2009, 14:58
Never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky489 View Post
Hi, CAN YOU HELP!! ive got a rover 45 W reg 1.8 IXL (70,000 on clock), ive known the car for about 2 years as it was a friends, bought it about a month ago then had the cambelt and oil changed (as far as I know the Head Gasket has never gone). Since this time there seems to be a build up of light brown coloured gunk accumilating around the sides of the water tank. Ive cleaned it out and after about 100 miles its back again.

The car does not overheat and there is no sign of water in the oil, it drives fine, just this sludge in the water tank. Could this be the begginings of a Head Gasket problem, or just crap in the radiator?
Im a bit apprehensive as I have to drive 400 miles to scarborough tomorrow!

PLEASE HELP!!!
Repost - Rover 45 Gunk in water tank, Please Help!!