MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Tensioner knackered or belt stretched?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  billpine 
#1 ·
Hello again chaps.

For a while now the tensioner on my motor has been bouncing or vibrating quite a bit on tick-over. Once the revs get up it seemed to sort it's self out and as odd as it sounds appeared to tighten up.

Had another look at it today and to my eye the tensioner seems perilously close to the idler on the right!

What do you chaps reckon?

See less See more
#5 ·
i'd be taking the belt off and checking it against a new one. I reckon it is either the wrong belt or it is badly stretched (unusual). Also check that the tensioner runs true on the belt (and not at an angle) as this is how the tensioners usually fail.

#6 ·
Funny you should mention that. My local motor factors identifies parts based on reg number. The first belt they gave me was for the original engine with AC, that turned out to be too short. Went back and told them the car wasn't on it's factory engine and got it replaced for a longer belt that was for the non AC version and that seemed to fit OK.

If the belt is too long it would explain why the tensioner bounces quite badly. It is still pretty tight around all the pulleys, albeit very close to the pulley on the right.

I'll whip it off tomorrow and check..

#7 ·
Got the belt off and it would appear that I did have the wrong belt. GSF list 2 for my motor, 6PK1185 and 6PK1462. The one I took off is a 6PK1470?

Don't want to get ahead of myself but I'm assuming the last 4 numbers is the length in MM :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.