Test using Compressor - Interesting - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-03-2016, 17:40 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
Test using Compressor - Interesting

I just did something you might find interesting to tell the difference between IMG and HGF.

I disconnected the return line from the radiator to the expansion bottle, at the bottle end, and plugged it with a pressure gauge.

I then connected an air compressor to the expansion bottle where the return line would normally go.

Therefore this is like a pressure test of both the system and the cap, since the cap regulates pressure.

I found that the system went to 1.2 bar, and then slowly bleeds back to 0.8 bar, and eventually to zero bar.

However, the oil level on the dipstick goes up.

Meanwhile, doing this over and over so that 1 liter of coolant is lost does not produce anything in the cylinder when cranking without plugs.

Therefore, I know that my initial plan to replace the IMG Inlet Manfold Gasket will not actually solve problem,
it is a HGF between oil and water passages not involving the cylinder, as all compression check at 140 psi-ish.

Does anyone thing this conclusion is not valid, if so please let me know.

Also, when it comes to cleaning the system out, pumping in air in this fashion is a good way to forcible eject all the crap out the top of the rad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-03-2016, 17:53 Thread Starter

P.S: >> What would happen if I drove it with the cap loose, so as to not let it pressurize?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-03-2016, 19:45

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
the water will boil and get loads of air in it , pressuring the system allows it to get to higher temps and not boil thus causing no air in the system

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-03-2016, 01:12

Your logic appears sound to me.

All I would add is that this diagnosis gives you the option to use a sealant with a reasonable level of confidence. I'm aware this is heresy, but BARS LEAKS has worked for me in the past.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-03-2016, 09:00

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
I'd be worried about inducing HGF pumping it with compressed air.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-03-2016, 11:20 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingcars View Post
The pressure supply is mild, and pressure never goes above expansion gap maximum pressure. Pressure is applied at expansion bottle. The effect is the same as a conventional pressure test.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-03-2016, 11:42 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhturner View Post
Your logic appears sound to me.

All I would add is that this diagnosis gives you the option to use a sealant with a reasonable level of confidence. I'm aware this is heresy, but BARS LEAKS has worked for me in the past.

You know, I went through all the Bars Leaks products on their website, but only one seems to mention coolant-to-oil leaks specifically:

Cooling System Treatment | Coolant Seal

Anyone got any idea where I could get this?
Although the car is in Ireland, I work in Canary Warf in London 4 days a week.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-03-2016, 17:04

Coolant to oil should be much the same as coolant to air.

I've only used the small rectangular bottles (about 5.00). Tablets are available on Amazon, but I would look in Halfords first, as I'm always weary of products that might potentially be counterfeit.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 19-03-2016, 19:59 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhturner View Post
Coolant to oil should be much the same as coolant to air.

I've only used the small rectangular bottles (about 5.00). Tablets are available on Amazon, but I would look in Halfords first, as I'm always weary of products that might potentially be counterfeit.

What troubles me is - why only mention coolant-to-oil in the datasheet of only one product. Tablets from Amazon seem to be US markets - signing up to those websites asks for zip code.

I've just had a very disturbing thought...

My test results could indicate liner movement - coolant to oil via the compromised hydromar sealant at the bottom of the liners. I do have a piston slap type rattle when cold - actually liner rattle?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 20-03-2016, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingcars View Post

Pressure testing the coolant system is a common practice in garages. It normally just involves screwing a connector on to the expansion tank and pressurising the system.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 22-03-2016, 21:07

Quote:
My test results could indicate liner movement - coolant to oil via the compromised hydromar sealant at the bottom of the liners. I do have a piston slap type rattle when cold - actually liner rattle?
I suspect you're over-thinking the problem. If a liner had slipped you would have major head gasket symptoms, not just coolant leakage into the oil.