VVC Conversion - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 11:27 Thread Starter

Car: BMW 3 series
Send a message via MSN to Ralz
VVC Conversion

Am I right in assuming its possible to convert the ZS 120 into VVC?
I was thinking that this would give power closer to the 180, without the weight of the extra pistons etc. and without the huge tax and servicing costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 11:30

Car: 525d, T4 & MG ZR and half a ZS
No but would have a huge conversion cost that would be far better sticking with what you have or buy a 180, plus it becomes harder to sell when its modded from standard.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 18:55
Stu
Administrator

Car: Merc E250 Convertible + Alfa Mito Turbo
Garages
Send a message via MSN to Stu Send a message via Skype™ to Stu
The advantage the KV6 has over the VVC in a car the weight of a ZS is low end torque.

Doesn't mean its not worth doing, but you won't be able to directly compare the performance of the two.

Stu

Get cash back on your Insurance and many other web purchases through Quidco

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 19:00
D/T

Car: MG ZR 160 Mk2
Send a message via MSN to D/T
Wouldn't you need to change the internals too ie pistons and that as the ones from the vvc are uprated or am i talking crap ??
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 19:00

Car: 120+
What about the cams from a 135bhp mgtf, straight swap..valve springs the same etc, 20+bhp for a small price. can let you know in the new year what it's like if you want mate.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 19:03

Car: MKII ZS180, 2 x 200 BRM LE (:D), 214 8v (RIP), 414 Sli, VVC coupe (gone) . . . and a WRX STi ;)
While we're talking K4's vs KV6 - how's about a 1.8turbo? no heavier than a N/A K4 really with 160bhp standard output - possibly worth putting in a ZS if a few more ponies could be found?

I understand the comments about conversion costs / difficulty to sell on - but depends why you would want to do it and how well it's done.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 19:44

Car: MGF Trophy 160 and MG ZR+ TD
Quote:
Originally Posted by garythesnail View Post
While we're talking K4's vs KV6 - how's about a 1.8turbo? no heavier than a N/A K4 really with 160bhp standard output - possibly worth putting in a ZS if a few more ponies could be found?
Now that I know has been done, by a certain member of this fair forum. His car was on the MGOC stand at the NEC Classic Car Show - A silver MkI ZS with a facelift 180 bodykit. It has various mods but the end result is a 1.8 turbo which on the rolling road showed 199.8bhp, so comfortably up on the KV6. A beautiful car...

I'm hoping he'll come along now and tell you more!!!!

Raising funds for Dee's Charity ... The 2009 Southmids Sportsters Calendar
Click here for details.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 19:54

Car: MKII ZS180, 2 x 200 BRM LE (:D), 214 8v (RIP), 414 Sli, VVC coupe (gone) . . . and a WRX STi ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieMG View Post

I'm hoping he'll come along now and tell you more!!!!

I'm hoping so now, too!

(I have a hankering for putting one of these in to a Rover 400 and painting it brooklands green, giving it an orange mouth and red leather interior. . . . . . one day!)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 10:49
Mmmm....Rover..

Car: Mk2 ZS 160, 200vi(RIP) & Freelander XEDi
Send a message via MSN to technozen
Another forum member, ZS105, fitted the 1.8 turbo lump to his ZS back in 2005.

Details here...

1.8T swap starts this weekend! (56k warning)

Free Fob Programming and Diagnostics for forum Supporters... see here.

Pektron SCU/BCU Technical Information and Common Faults... see here.

Discounted Pektron SCU/BCU Relay Replacement for forum Supporters... see here.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 20:13

Car: MGF 1.9 & MG ZS 1.8 K Turbo, and the rest..
Red face

Now thats a good looking car Rich, oh hang on a minute, thats mine

Regarding the various engines modifications(upgrades) for the ZS etc anything is possible and not too expensive.

My current car I have fitted a k1.8 Turbo which the engine itself drops straight in, the only modifications required are in making it work which are the exhaust system, cooling, intercooling and then electrical (ECU and wiring). I wont go into full detail as it will take a while to type out and I'm currently a little too tired to do so but if afew people are interested in whats involved with the full conversion then I will make a new post at a later date. Cost wise for the K-Turbo conversion it has cost me around 4-5,000 and this is with the majority of parts being Brand New and me taking my time in putting it all together.

My previous car, an M reg 416 bubble, I fitted a mems3 VVC engine and PG1 gearbox, this was basically a very straighty forward conversion with just dropping the VVC engine and PG1 gearbox straight in after converting the mounts and linkages etc from the 1.6 and R65(gearbox) setup over to the PG1. The only real modification (brain tickler) was converting the wiring loom of the body to match up to the engine as it was going from mems1.9 to mems 3, but if your doing this conversion on a 45 or ZS there isn't really much alteration required with the wiring loom as you only have to add 4 wires (3 if you split the power supply one) that go to the VVC actuators, into your exsisting engine loom and then simply plug in the VVC ECU. The exhaust system can retain as per the original setup or do what I did on the 400 and fit the ZR160 manifold, downpipe and cat after changing the rear exhaust flange to match the ZS one(3 bolt flange changed to a 2 bolt) and all of the cooling pipes etc stay as per original.

There has been a ZS120 mk2 which undergone a VVC 160 conversion that is featured on the MGOC website (along with a ZR 1.8 Turbo) this had a complete brand new engine fitted but if you do fancy a VVC conversion then you can retain your current bottom end and just swap the head over to a VVC, I did this to my original ZS120 engine and then fitted it into a friends Rover Metro GTi, quick plug which is for sale

I think that will do for now but as I said if you want to know more detail on the conversion(s) then let me know and I will shed some light on the subjects for you. BTW Currently working on a full write up on the build of my ZS200 that will be in the next for-coming issue's of Enjoying MG and then there will also be a feature in MG Enthusiast's within the next few months.

edit:
forgot to give a guide of cost for a VVC conversion, its all down to what you can get a VVC engine for or just the parts required, works out cheaper to buy a complete engine which can be as little a 150 up to 700 for a second hand unit, but you can never be too sure on the mileage and history but thats usually reflected in the price you pay.

Matt Parker.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:19

Car: MGF Trophy 160 and MG ZR+ TD
Cheers Matt. Very informative and thought provoking!

Raising funds for Dee's Charity ... The 2009 Southmids Sportsters Calendar
Click here for details.

Last edited by RichStone; 03-12-2008 at 18:12.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 13:45

Car: MG ZS
A few people on ZSCentral.com are doing various things with VVC part (most of which I don't understand!) http://www.zscentral.com/phpbb/viewt...hp?f=20&t=5042

Also a dutch lad is waiting to pick up his recently converted MK2,

http://www.zscentral.com/phpbb/viewt...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

There are a couple more threads as well.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 23-09-2009, 11:34

Car: MGZS160VVC - MGBGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyf3854 View Post
Also a dutch lad is waiting to pick up his recently converted MK2,

http://www.zscentral.com/phpbb/viewt...st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Lol, just noticed this thread while browsing the forum.

So, a huge bump, but that Dutch Lad would be me

After owning a MKI180 I bought a MKII 120.
The car was great but I still lacked those 60 extra horses.

First I fitted the TF135 cams (or R140 cams from PTP) but that did very little to the performance, so I decided to take the plunge and had my 120 converted to a 160VVC.

It's almost a year ago now and I'm still very pleased with it.
Beginning of the year I made a trip to Portugal and back and the car/engine gave me no trouble at all.

Pictures can be found here in my car's topic on ZSCentral.
http://www.zscentral.com/phpbb/viewt...=725&start=165

The Car also featured a 3 page article, including a full ffront cover picture, in the June issue from Safety Fast, the MGCC monthly magazine.

If you have any questions, please PB me here or on ZSC.

Cheers,
Pete
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 18:34
Supporter

Car: MG ZS
Quote:
Originally Posted by R118GTA View Post
Now thats a good looking car Rich, oh hang on a minute, thats mine

Regarding the various engines modifications(upgrades) for the ZS etc anything is possible and not too expensive.

My current car I have fitted a k1.8 Turbo which the engine itself drops straight in, the only modifications required are in making it work which are the exhaust system, cooling, intercooling and then electrical (ECU and wiring). I wont go into full detail as it will take a while to type out and I'm currently a little too tired to do so but if afew people are interested in whats involved with the full conversion then I will make a new post at a later date. Cost wise for the K-Turbo conversion it has cost me around 4-5,000 and this is with the majority of parts being Brand New and me taking my time in putting it all together.

My previous car, an M reg 416 bubble, I fitted a mems3 VVC engine and PG1 gearbox, this was basically a very straighty forward conversion with just dropping the VVC engine and PG1 gearbox straight in after converting the mounts and linkages etc from the 1.6 and R65(gearbox) setup over to the PG1. The only real modification (brain tickler) was converting the wiring loom of the body to match up to the engine as it was going from mems1.9 to mems 3, but if your doing this conversion on a 45 or ZS there isn't really much alteration required with the wiring loom as you only have to add 4 wires (3 if you split the power supply one) that go to the VVC actuators, into your exsisting engine loom and then simply plug in the VVC ECU. The exhaust system can retain as per the original setup or do what I did on the 400 and fit the ZR160 manifold, downpipe and cat after changing the rear exhaust flange to match the ZS one(3 bolt flange changed to a 2 bolt) and all of the cooling pipes etc stay as per original.

There has been a ZS120 mk2 which undergone a VVC 160 conversion that is featured on the MGOC website (along with a ZR 1.8 Turbo) this had a complete brand new engine fitted but if you do fancy a VVC conversion then you can retain your current bottom end and just swap the head over to a VVC, I did this to my original ZS120 engine and then fitted it into a friends Rover Metro GTi, quick plug which is for sale

I think that will do for now but as I said if you want to know more detail on the conversion(s) then let me know and I will shed some light on the subjects for you. BTW Currently working on a full write up on the build of my ZS200 that will be in the next for-coming issue's of Enjoying MG and then there will also be a feature in MG Enthusiast's within the next few months.

edit:
forgot to give a guide of cost for a VVC conversion, its all down to what you can get a VVC engine for or just the parts required, works out cheaper to buy a complete engine which can be as little a 150 up to 700 for a second hand unit, but you can never be too sure on the mileage and history but thats usually reflected in the price you pay.

Matt Parker.
Hi mate I have just got my self a brm 143bhp vvc engine and I was wanting to drop it into my mg zs 120 mk1 but I am at a total loss when it comes to the difference between the mems and marrying the looms up when I got the engine a thought it would just be a case of swaping my ecu and the immobiliser and engine bay loom but not the case any help would be grate
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 21:46

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Davies 2 View Post
Hi mate I have just got my self a brm 143bhp vvc engine and I was wanting to drop it into my mg zs 120 mk1 but I am at a total loss when it comes to the difference between the mems and marrying the looms up when I got the engine a thought it would just be a case of swaping my ecu and the immobiliser and engine bay loom but not the case any help would be grate
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your ZS120 will have MEMS 3 engine management.
The BRM 143VVC is MEMS 2.0J
The two systems are substantially different in many ways including the way they connect to the body loom and exhaust system.

TBH you'd be better moving the BRM engine on and getting a ZR160 VVC engine, gearbox, ECU and immobiliser. However if you are determined to use the 143 I can give more help.

James
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 07:47

Car: Evolution VII RS, MK5 RS2000, Trackday MK2 ZR 160, MK2 ZS 120+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralz View Post
Am I right in assuming its possible to convert the ZS 120 into VVC?
I was thinking that this would give power closer to the 180, without the weight of the extra pistons etc. and without the huge tax and servicing costs.
To get the 160 to 180 power in n/a form you will need throttle bodies and Piper 285 cam kit at the least there for removing the VVC anyway. In the 160 ZR the performance is close to a ZR180 because its slightly lighter and it has a lower diff ratio to help performance. Not sure what you mean about tax tho because they are the same and only real difference in servicing will be at cam belt time so for those reasons cant see the point of doing it? The K series is a expensive engine to tune if your looking at getting to to the 180 power your going to need about 3.5-4k into the engine, thats the point im at with my ZR but it does leave 180s behind on track
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 09:11

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
The post March '06 ZS180 is in a 450 tax band.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 09:26
Supporter

Car: ZR VVC
For the simplest(cheapest) conversion:
Put a VVC head on your 120 block. You'll need the coilpack rocker cover version
Fit a MEMS 3 VVC ECU and have it resynced/de-immobilised
Build a VVC engine bay boom to allow the ZS to have the connections to control the VVC mechs

SAWS Tuning - MGR Remaps
Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/SAWStuning/
Website - https://www.sawstuning.co.uk/
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 23:02

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Wow - big cobwebs.......
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 14:57
MG-Rover Mobile Mechanics

Car: MGF, MGTF, MGZS x6, MGZR x6, MGZT x1, ROVER 25, ROVER 216 Cabriolet, 93' CELICA
Garages
Send a message via MSN to **Kayleigh**
We have done a few vvc zs conversions, but find the 135 conversion is the cheapest and gives just as good gains in power.

** We specialize in Mg / Rover Head Gaskets, Servicing, Maintenance & Repairs **
-- Our Head Gaskets are 320 non vvc and 350 vvc --
... All Head Gasket Replacements are inclusive of the Cambelt & Waterpump ...
~ We can guarantee you won't find anyone offering the services we do, at the prices we do! ~
' Vehicle collection and return is also available for work needing to be transported to our unit '
* See www.mg-rovermobilemechanics.com or call/text 07595708278/07595704340 for more info *