zs manifold cure - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 13-12-2012, 23:00 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 600
Exclamation zs manifold cure

Ive recently bought a brand new inlet manifold and vis motors but i wanna know if theres anything i can do to prevent the rattle coming back. Ive heard of fitting a catch tank but all the ones ive seen all have the inlet and outlet port close together with no filter meaning big droplets will be collected but any fine mist is going into the manifold! Short of venting to atmosphere i cant think of anything else. Im not sure if you want a lil bit of oil coming into the manifold to lube the buttetflys would be helpfull. Sorry to.repeat threads i did search the forum but couldnt find the info i wanted. Any replys would be helpful cheers guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 14-12-2012, 02:02

Car: Rover 45
Send a message via Skype™ to fathead431
Quote:
Originally Posted by british classic View Post
Ive recently bought a brand new inlet manifold and vis motors but i wanna know if theres anything i can do to prevent the rattle coming back. Ive heard of fitting a catch tank but all the ones ive seen all have the inlet and outlet port close together with no filter meaning big droplets will be collected but any fine mist is going into the manifold! Short of venting to atmosphere i cant think of anything else. Im not sure if you want a lil bit of oil coming into the manifold to lube the buttetflys would be helpfull. Sorry to.repeat threads i did search the forum but couldnt find the info i wanted. Any replys would be helpful cheers guys!

many end up removing the VIS motors and valves completely, theres lots of threads on removal
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 14-12-2012, 09:42 Thread Starter

Wink eC

lol yeah ive seen lot of people do that but im convinced there must be a way of saving them

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 14-12-2012, 12:20
ZeV

Car: 04 ZS 180 MK2
Apart from a oil catch tank I don't think there's any other options, I was thinkin of buying a brand new one and putting a catch tank on the big vacuum hose and leave the smaller one, personally I wouldn't want any oil going in there to be burned, but I've decided to pocket the cash and just rip the valves out lol.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 14-12-2012, 18:06 Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Well id bought several second hand manifolds over the use and they all end up the same way think ill just keep buying new ones normally get good 40-60k before they start ratting just hope catch tank does the job maybe even a in-line fuel filter. Cant say i blame you 465 for manifold and vis motors bank balance is hurting lol
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 14-12-2012, 22:39

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
I think the problem is the heavier oil getting through, the fine mist will help keep the valves lubricated.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 15-12-2012, 00:24

Car: MG ZS 180 MG ZT CDTi 135+ ,MGF 75th Anniversary, MG ZT 120+
Send a message via MSN to Carl Send a message via Skype™ to Carl
Something to think about , my car is on the original manifold ( 9 years old ) the car has a catch tank on the small pipe , but its been run on fully synth 5w40 oil from 1000 miles , I wonder if this slightly thinner oil has made a difference ?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 15-12-2012, 22:35 Thread Starter

I opened up my last manifold seems like a mixture of oil and carbon. The thinner oils prehaphs not a bad idea. Its obv. Worked with your.
Thanks for replys!