2Likes
  • 1 Post By Man in the Car
  • 1 Post By Man in the Car

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 02:42 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG ZS
ZS value so confusing lol

I find it so comical that myself and several other forum members have attempted to sell thier ZS cars without success while I saw another mk2 ZS on eBay this week which had a first bid on it for £600 which is around what my daughter was looking to get for her car.
Why does it make me laugh I hear you ask, well my daughters mk2 ZS comes complete with an engine and gearbox lol
Just thought I would share as it made me chuckle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 10:37

Car: MG ZS180 :D
Right person, right place, right time!
Get the adds out in as many places as possible. The world is run on social media now so the more outlets you use the better off you will be.

Sent from Drew @ Roverdose
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 12:16

Car: Evolution VII RS, MK5 RS2000, Trackday MK2 ZR 160, MK2 ZS 120+
If it ain't on Ebay it ain't selling

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 13:33 Thread Starter
Supporter

I don't mind buying on eBay as I have saved thousands over the years but hate selling on there as you get so many numpties lol, you can get some of the most stupid questions imaginable.
I will start stripping it after Christmas now as I don't have time and it's getting colder plus I don't have a garage lol, no rush as my daughter is happy driving around in her Nissan SUV, takes all sorts
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 18:12
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren10 View Post
... while I saw another mk2 ZS on eBay this week which had a first bid on it for £600 ...
Without an engine and gearbox? Perhaps a mate bidding to get things going?

gnu
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 20:53 Thread Starter
Supporter

Maybe ? Think it's an mg place selling the car on after removing engine and box for owner to place in a kit car. Personally I would have left the V6 in the mk2 ZS lol
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 10:07
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Tbh where you are can make a difference: cars can be sold in London for more than in rural areas.

gnu
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 10:42

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
If it ain't on Ebay it ain't selling ....
Of course, they don't necessarily sell on eBay - you frequently see cars that appear to have sold for good money being relisted because either the winning bidder didn't bother to contact/pay the seller, or because the winner turned up and then thought they were going to be able to haggle their over generous winning bid back down to a realistic level (in such circumstances most sensible sellers will tell them to go do one!)

However, it does seem odd how some people asking sensible money for a good condition car with a good provenance struggle to get any interest, whilst others seem to get silly money for a shed
Bren10 likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 16:09
Supporter

Car: Rover 25 Spirit S & Rover 75 1.8 Club Tourer
I've been looking for a car to replace my wifes Vectra, now i want something there is nothing any good any where near what i want to pay and within a reasonable distance.

There were loads last week when i didn't need anything. Thats just the way it goes.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 18:55
Banned

Car: MG ZR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
Of course, they don't necessarily sell on eBay - you frequently see cars that appear to have sold for good money being relisted because either the winning bidder didn't bother to contact/pay the seller, or because the winner turned up and then thought they were going to be able to haggle their over generous winning bid back down to a realistic level (in such circumstances most sensible sellers will tell them to go do one!)

However, it does seem odd how some people asking sensible money for a good condition car with a good provenance struggle to get any interest, whilst others seem to get silly money for a shed
The problem with Ebay is more about sellers than buyers and it can get worse depending on whats being sold.

There used to be a saying that the camera doesnt lie,but its far far from the truth and even a bad example can be made to look good.The skill is in spotting someone whos being very selective in what they show and how its shown.
A good example is seat bolsters,someone being less than up front will take a picture of what appears to be a great seat,yet the crucial bit is missing.
So when a vehicle sells,buyer turns up and finds its not as described,or more to the point,not what was expected then they cock on the sale and its relisted with the infamous line,buyer was a time waster bla bla.The thing is had the vehicle been described and shown honestly then that buyer probably wouldnt have bid at all.

Heres a recent one that i found yesterday,it goes on about engine and interior being as new but nothing about the exterior.Now that could be an oversight but it could also mean it doesnt match the rest and leaves room for the buyer wasting the sellers time and their own,if they are expecting a car as new' as the advert implies.
Worse though the seller orginally listed with a £500 buy it now which was (taking condition as implied) very cheap.What i suspect happened is they suddenly got plenty of email interest and realised their mistake and pulled the advert.Now its being bidded on with private bidders,something i cant imagine any other reason to use other than your pumping your own price up hoping someone will jump in when they have jacked it up.
Also they have consciously turned off the full size photo option a strange move for something of what could be a great find.

Rover 25 showing 7,000 miles

coincidentally sitting at the £500 buy it now price for now...

RARE 7,000 miles - ROVER 25 IL 16V 1.4 2002, Sunroof

Despite there being both less than straight buyers and sellers,Ebay has the biggest shop window anywhere and if you cant sell a vehicle there,its either crap,too dear,or your advert sucks.
As for haggling,if a seller misrepresents,then its quite right the buyer should either walk or haggle.

There are some key words that if a seller uses i look at something else.

SHE,WOW and the relisted due to time waster line.I cringe at some of the adverts some use to try and sell their cars.

Last edited by JT Dent; 06-11-2016 at 19:05.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dent View Post
The problem with Ebay is more about sellers than buyers and it can get worse depending on whats being sold.

There used to be a saying that the camera doesnt lie,but its far far from the truth and even a bad example can be made to look good.The skill is in spotting someone whos being very selective in what they show and how its shown.
On the contrary; it is for the prospective buyer to go and inspect the vehicle BEFORE they bid. Anyone who bids blind without first viewing the vehicle first hand has to live with their rash decision to bid and pay up. If a bidder has bid too much for the condition of the car, that is their problem.

Quote:
So when a vehicle sells,buyer turns up and finds its not as described,or more to the point,not what was expected then they cock on the sale and its relisted with the infamous line,buyer was a time waster bla bla.The thing is had the vehicle been described and shown honestly then that buyer probably wouldnt have bid at all.

As for haggling,if a seller misrepresents,then its quite right the buyer should either walk or haggle.
NO, definitely not. The winning bid is a binding contract. If someone bids without first viewing the car first hand they have to live with that rash decision and pay up. Almost all of the non-paying bidders on car listings are people who don't go and have a look first, and I doubt if any seller would refuse a request to view beforehand.

Bidders are bidding to buy, not for the right to come and make a derisory offer.
Bren10 likes this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 20:17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
On the contrary; it is for the prospective buyer to go and inspect the vehicle BEFORE they bid. Anyone who bids blind without first viewing the vehicle first hand has to live with their rash decision to bid and pay up. If a bidder has bid too much for the condition of the car, that is their problem.

NO, definitely not. The winning bid is a binding contract. If someone bids without first viewing the car first hand they have to live with that rash decision and pay up. Almost all of the non-paying bidders on car listings are people who don't go and have a look first, and I doubt if any seller would refuse a request to view beforehand.

Bidders are bidding to buy, not for the right to come and make a derisory offer.
Are you following me?

I agree that its best to have a look before bidding,but theres nothing binding in law, when a seller has purposely misrepresented their item infact..........

The Misrepresentation Act is perhaps more appropriate when it comes to the sale of used cars, but it covers you against a seller making a false or fraudulent claim that encourages you to buy a car.

What redress is open to you depends on what sort of misrepresentation you have experienced. If the misrepresentation was ‘fraudulent’ (ie the seller knew what they were saying was untrue), then you can cancel the deal or claim damages; if it was ‘negligent’ (ie the seller says something carelessly), you can claim some financial loss; and, if the misrepresentation was ‘innocent’ (ie the seller was not at fault and reasonably thought what they were saying was true), you can cancel the deal.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 20:39

I am certainly not 'following' you (whatever that means?) You, however seem to be intent on arguing witrh everything I post. You have been on this forum for five minutes - what is your problem?

We are not talking about motor traders making fraudulent claims in their adverts - most of the eBay listings that experience problems are private sales to private buyers and very few can be construed as fraudulent or misrepresenting. Buyers who assume that a vehicle is as good as the pictures make it appear and bid well over the odds without inspecting it first hand have only themselves to blame. I don't think any claims of misrepresentation would stand up if they tried it on.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 20:41
Banned

Being new on a Forum doesnt make me brand new, but like i said,you enjoy the rest of your weekend.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 18:09

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
One of the under lying principles of ebay is a honest description (including photos).

In the ideal world one should be able to view before bidding but it isn't always possible.

One of my cars, my maestro, came from 150 miles away through ebay, no chance to view before hand and was exactly as described (as it should be).