'02 MG ZT 190+ low compression - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 14-03-2017, 20:09 Thread Starter

'02 MG ZT 190+ low compression

Hi all,
Ive had this car for a few months and it's my first ZT, after having two 400 and 200 series R8 and a MGF in the past.
The car wasn't perfect, but it was virtually a 1 owner from new and a full service history, with the belts changed a couple of years ago.
The engine wasn't very smooth and only a very minor judder at idle. Also, on startup, but not always, it would smoke a bit, but I took that as down to stem seals.
Despite a couple of issues that were easy to sort out, it has been a pleasure to drive.
Not long ago, I had a T4 session where it was detected that the balance ViS was faulty. I purchased and installed refurbished vis motors and sudddnly the big problems started. The car, although performed and acceletated better, it started to judder more on idle, as if it was misfiring. Then, the engine light came in. I used a generic code reader and it said that indeed there is a misfire on cylinder 1. The plug on cylinder 1 looked a bit oily, and the others were dry. Still, New plugs, swapped coils and cables... nothing. Still the damn misfire on cylinder 1 and the code reader says it fails to read the o2 sensor... but not showing showing up as an error in the ecu...
Well, Did a compression test and it's not good news.
Cylinders 2 to 6 gave a reading of around 170-180, the cylinder 1 gave around 100. Poured a teaspoon of oil into it and the compression jumped to the same as the other cylinders.

Question now is:
Change the oil to and add an additive to help temporarily recover some compression or sell the car?
Repairing it would be expensive, I assume?
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 14-03-2017, 21:17

Car: mgzt190+,mgztcdti+mgzr105,kawasaki zx6r
dropping the front head off isnt a difficult job.. and liner and rings can be fitted in situ with the piston at the top..
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 14-03-2017, 22:25 Thread Starter

My main point is, how expensive it is? Replacing the liner and the rings on the piston? But that would mean replacing the belts and that's not an easy or cheap job either..

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 15-03-2017, 09:28

Car: mgzt190+,mgztcdti+mgzr105,kawasaki zx6r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentil89 View Post
My main point is, how expensive it is? Replacing the liner and the rings on the piston? But that would mean replacing the belts and that's not an easy or cheap job either..
it all depends on who is doing the job.. if you are capable it can be done for under 100. used liners and pistons are readily available.. . also if the belts have been done you dont need to replace them again maybe.. if a piston has a hole in it it can take a bit longer(I suspect it may have) but still just sump off job to get to the conrod bolts.. A garage may not want the job.. or you could buy a good used engine for 150 and slot it in, take you less than a day with an engine lift..