MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1.8T Alloy T-Pieces. Bought Two and a tad Disappointed.

655 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MGJohn 
#1 ·
Took over a month to arrive and when they did, I was disappointed with their "unfinished" condition. Not really concerned by their "Tatty" cosmetic appearance but a more serious concern was the razor sharp edges on all six of the open ends of the larger tubes. Sharp enough to draw blood if you're not careful and would soon cut through the soft rubber hoses leading to coolant loss and who knows what other more serious problems.

Unseen deep within one of the T-Pieces, a long curled shard of sharp alloy left where the machine had cut the hole for the upright shorter tube was over a centimetre long when uncurled. Had that become detached it could go anywhere in the engine, turbo or other parts of the cooling system. I carefully removed it.

Despite all that, I suspect that with some pre-fitting preparation they would become much better and without problems when fitted. So using a worn rasp file to smooth off those razor edges, Grades 180 and 1200 of Wet and Dry plus a bowl of warm soapy water, they shaped up nicely after about forty minutes. :~

I had bought one off ebay a couple of years ago and that was much better finished. Even so, that needed some smoothing to ensure no problems when fitted.

Mention this for the benefit of anyone fitting one of these otherwise ideal items. Check for and remove any sharp edges or you could regret not doing so at the roadside some time later.

See less See more
#4 ·
X-Posted from my post on 75/ZT Club site.

They look like the now defunct Spencer Ashley ones.
There was concern about these when they first appeared: Spencer Ashley T-Piece SERIOUS QUALITY ISSUES - The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

TC
Pepper Performance. I bought two after seeing this post #51 on the thread. That was five weeks ago. They arrived on Friday.

Post #51 :~

2 left at pepper performance be quick
Meantime since paying for my order, several phone calls to the mobile number on the on-line web site .. no answer .. left message ...still no response. Plus the email adds. on the site were returned as no longer active.

They have shaped up nicely after my efforts with the file and wet and dry.

#5 ·
Pepper Performance. - - - Meantime since paying for my order, several phone calls to the mobile number on the on-line web site .. no answer .. left message ...still no response. Plus the email adds. on the site were returned as no longer active.
Pepper Performance = Spencer Ashley
They're all the same people and are effectively bankrupt. I'm surprised they're still selling stuff, but I guess they're desperate for income. The T-pieces are probably old stock from way back.

More background:https://www.endole.co.uk/company/SC480337/pepper-performance-ltd

TC

#6 ·
X-Posted from my post on 75/ZT Club site.

Considering the time delay between placing my order and receiving the items, I began to suspect that they had farmed out production for my order rather than supply off the shelf.

From what you now say and reading the other old thread you previously posted a link to, it would appear I've been lucky to get my T-Pieces.

After my reworking them, I'm pleased with the end product. The one I bought two years ago and fitted to my other ZT 1.8t appears fine.

EDIT to ADD @ 11:49

I paid £30 each for mine. I think this post over on that earlier linked thread nails it from the cost effective viewpoint. Even so, my two looked hurriedly manufactured. A little more time would result in a far nicer end product. Speed does not always equate to efficiency and a satisfied customer. I used to run my own company and providing good product and service ensures hard won customers keep coming back for more. Otherwise they will vote with their feet.

Here's that single post on the other thread :~

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums - View Single Post - Spencer Ashley T-Piece SERIOUS QUALITY ISSUES

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.