MG-Rover.org Forums banner

75 diesel wont turn over

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  simcor 
#1 ·
Hi

I have searched all the threads but to no avail, so im hoping someone can throw some light on the below issue.

My dad recently purchased a y reg 2001 75 with the 2.0 diesel (BMW) engine.

The car all of a sudden started getting harder and harder to start, with symptoms of the starter motor. This has now been replaced. Once replaced the car fired startight away. Went for a drive, then upon next starting the car took 3 or 4 attemps before she fired up.

Now there is nothing, wont even turn over. Can hear the fuels pumps etc, then when you turn the key just get a click from under the bonnet and nothing else.

Have checked the battery and thats fine, after reading on here about the troubles with keys have tried the spare. Earths and live to starter are fine.

Any suggestions or advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Hi

I have searched all the threads but to no avail, so im hoping someone can throw some light on the below issue.

My dad recently purchased a y reg 2001 75 with the 2.0 diesel (BMW) engine.

The car all of a sudden started getting harder and harder to start, with symptoms of the starter motor. This has now been replaced. Once replaced the car fired startight away. Went for a drive, then upon next starting the car took 3 or 4 attemps before she fired up.

Now there is nothing, wont even turn over. Can hear the fuels pumps etc, then when you turn the key just get a click from under the bonnet and nothing else.

Have checked the battery and thats fine, after reading on here about the troubles with keys have tried the spare. Earths and live to starter are fine.

Any suggestions or advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
What age is the car and what age is the battery that is on it currently?

Do the headlights flash when trying to start it?

Chances are you need a new battery, checking the battery can provide false information that the battery is ok when in reality it is not.

Any battery older than 4 or 5 years is likely to be on its last legs.

The derv need a lot of cranking amps to start it a battery thta is not on tip top condition will struggle, you may have had the starter motor replaced when in reality all you may have needed was anew battery.

Try a good known battery before you dismiss it before doing anything else. (needs to be same kind of spec as original)

Simon

#6 ·
Have tried a direct feed but no difference.

The lights do flash when trying to start, what does this mean?

Also tried jump starting it, but made no difference.

Turn the key click from engine and thats it!!!

First diesel engine I have done any real work on, do they require alot more power than a petrol engine to start.

Will take the battery and get it properly tested tomorrow to ensure this is not the issue.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

#7 ·
Diesels require much more power to start due to the higher compression and longer stroke, not to mention requiring some power for the heater plugs before cranking. I'd still try getting a new battery as even with a direct feed, the battery can still be an issue.

#9 ·
Will get battery tested tomorrow and keep fingers crossed its that which in causing the issue!!

Might not tell the old man he may of wasted money in a new starter though!!

Thanks to you all for the advice
There is no point getting the battery tested as that will not be indicative of whether the battery is actually any good.

If the headlights flash then the battery is knackered and needs replacing so you need to get a new battery on it and it will start fine.

Simon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.