Bent Tappet Lifters,, CDTI - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 28-02-2017, 17:24 Thread Starter

Car: mgzt190+,mgztcdti+mgzr105,kawasaki zx6r
Bent Tappet Lifters,, CDTI

As title says,, could i have bent some lifters. , story goes,, I removed an overcompensating diesel injector, removed copper washer, sprayed and wiped the seat. sprayed quite a bit of cleaner/lube in there.. fitted new injector checked and started.. that particular injector missed for 5 seconds or so then kicked into life.. BUT, now i have a Tap,Tap,Tap like a tappet knock.. though the car runs drives perfect and injector balances are now + or - .50mm^3... Im now wondering if the initial start up has pushed 2 valves up hydraulically and bent a lifter?. now on the cdti m47 the "lifters" are under the cams, one side the hydraulic tappet and other side the valve with a roller in the middle..
Now im hoping someone will have heard of a lifter bending under the pressure now giving me a tappet knock..?

Last edited by keith8000_0; 28-02-2017 at 18:18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 28-02-2017, 19:25

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
having just done a Peugeot with the same set up lifters cams followers , if the valves are compressed onto the cam and followers then the follower is designed to snap or break so a valve doesn't get bent .
It may be the injector that is making the tapping sound if not sealing correctly , or the injector itself could be faulty.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 28-02-2017, 20:07 Thread Starter

Car: mgzt190+,mgztcdti+mgzr105,kawasaki zx6r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy400 View Post
having just done a Peugeot with the same set up lifters cams followers , if the valves are compressed onto the cam and followers then the follower is designed to snap or break so a valve doesn't get bent .
It may be the injector that is making the tapping sound if not sealing correctly , or the injector itself could be faulty.
Thanks for your response.. yes after i started it and heard the tapping,, i cleaned and put the origional injector back in. with new washer and its sealed ok.. might have to look into buying a couple of new followers and remove the cam cover to check for excessive play..