Blue tinted headlamps? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 22-11-2016, 08:45 Thread Starter

Car: 04 75 CDTi 127k, 54 plate. Rover 45 1.6, 88k miles, 54 plate. MGF VVC, 95k miles, '96.
Blue tinted headlamps?

Legal or not? There are various opinions on the interweb, with a common theme seeming to be that there should be no blue lights shown on the front of the vehicle. This morning a lorry coming the other way on the M4 had about 20 of them for decoration!

I bought some cheapo ebay bulbs, but now I'm not sure about fitting them. They're listed as 6000k, and I've read that the limit for white light is about 4200. I see cars with a blue tint to the headlamps every day. So, what's the score???

The ones I've got are rated at 100/90W, so will the wiring and fuses be ok?

No big deal if I can't use them, they were only 5.75 for 4!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 22-11-2016, 10:56

Car: 2004 Facelift 75 Connoisseur 1.8 turbo with DD Pack. And remember, the troof is out there.
I believe the MOT regulations - if that's what's relevant to your query - state that headlamps should emit white or yellow light (from a yellow headlamp), although some lamps will display a blue tinge (a range of colours is also seen at the periphery of the beam from long distance), but it must be essentially white. This spectral effect is typical of HID lighting transmitted through a projector lens, but isn't the same as a lamp producing essentially blue light. That contravenes the rules. I guess in some cases of doubt, it would be down to the MOT tester's opinion. HIDs at 6000K are acceptabe though they are considerably bluer than the default 4300K most OEM lamps come with. This is a luminance issue rather than light colour. The non-HID projector bulbs fitted originally by MGR were Philips Blue Vision. I suspect this reflected the growing fashion for bluish tinged light rather than any technical advantage.

The description of '6000K' for filament bulbs is misleading IMO. It's more a marketing thing than a true representation of the light quality. However, the addition of xenon gas in filament bulbs improves whiteness and this has evolved a marketing stance that these filament bulbs are 'Xenons' (aka HIDs). I personally wouldn't recommend fitting headlamp bulbs of higher wattage than stated in the Handbook. They will run much hotter than standard, with potential consequences. They may also be a reason for MOT failure.

Lorries seem to get away with anything around Christmas, but some seem to make a year round exhibition.

TC
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 22-11-2016, 11:23

Car: MG ZR
I've fitted every car I've owned since the 80.s with 100w bulbs and that's many.
I'm still running them and my lads mg will be getting them so...
My info is first hand.
I have had ne issues ever from running them,the wiring fuse and switches are more then good enough.
I did 100.000 miles in a400 bubble with them fitted.
As for the blue tints,I've tried and moved on quickly.
Clear bulbs are best and give much more light and that's what we're after right?
The blue is like sticking sunglasses on them.
When buying your bulbs I tend to buy 2 sets incase one goes.that way it's a perfect match and cheap although I can't remember any going.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 16:55 Thread Starter

Car: 04 75 CDTi 127k, 54 plate. Rover 45 1.6, 88k miles, 54 plate. MGF VVC, 95k miles, '96.
Well, the car passed it's MoT with the new bulbs fitted, although I've had to replace one blown bulb already. May bite the bullet and get some genuine Nightbreakers if another one goes. Are these recommended?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 12:35

Car: 2004 Facelift 75 Connoisseur 1.8 turbo with DD Pack. And remember, the troof is out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenHealey View Post
May bite the bullet and get some genuine Nightbreakers if another one goes. Are these recommended?
Yes, they're very popular for 75/ZTs.

TC