Clutch fitting problem advise needed. - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 12:52 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
Question Clutch fitting problem advise needed.

Hello all need help for my 2005 1.8 kseries

Have recently done a full engine rebuild after the cam belt auto tensioner bolt snapped. Have managed to rebuild entire engine and now runs smoothly however having problems with the new clutch I've bought. I have bought a complete clutch kit but have noticed when I tighten the bolts up on the clutch pressure plate the springs move inward towards the clutch plate.

My question is should this happen?

Are there different clutch kits for my model of rover?

I have already tried to fit once and I have broken a slave cylinder because it's been over stretched I think.

Any advise on this would be of great help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 14:26

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Yes the clutch fingers move as you tighten it up against the flywheel, that's normal

It is also normal for the slave cylinder to fall apart upon removal. New ones have a plastic tag that breaks as soon as you press the pedal. So long as it is all fitted back in the same order in the right place then it should be fine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 18:44

Car: Rover 75
You didn't put the driven plate in the wrong way round did you? It should be marked for the flywheel/engine side if I remember correctly.
Mike

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 22:41 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise all the parts fitted were new and I did ensure all were fitted correctly. The slave broke when I applied pressure to the pedal after bleeding the system. I noticed it didn't feel right. It felt soft at first but as pressure built I heard the slave pop then on inspection noticed clutch fluid leaking from inside the gearbox. I have now removed the engine and gearbox for closer inspection. The first thing I noticed was the clutch pressure plate, the fingers were all facing inwards towards the engine and would not release unless the bolts holding the pressure plate were loosened. The clutch plate as you rightly pointed out is marked showing which way it should be facing. This was installed correctly.

I will try to upload some pictures tomorrow to show what I mean maybe it may give you a better understanding than myself of what the problem may.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 00:41

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
saw this about 10 years ago and it was incorrectly supplied part due someone changing the fly wheel previously and the new owner not knowing . In your case it may just be an incorrectly supplied part i would try to match them up against the old stuff if you still have them .
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 18:46

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Joselyn View Post
Thanks for the advise all the parts fitted were new and I did ensure all were fitted correctly. The slave broke when I applied pressure to the pedal after bleeding the system. I noticed it didn't feel right. It felt soft at first but as pressure built I heard the slave pop then on inspection noticed clutch fluid leaking from inside the gearbox. I have now removed the engine and gearbox for closer inspection. The first thing I noticed was the clutch pressure plate, the fingers were all facing inwards towards the engine and would not release unless the bolts holding the pressure plate were loosened. The clutch plate as you rightly pointed out is marked showing which way it should be facing. This was installed correctly.

I will try to upload some pictures tomorrow to show what I mean maybe it may give you a better understanding than myself of what the problem may.

I assume you didn't try to press the pedal with the gearbox disconnected from the engine? If you did that will always break the slave cylinder.

From memory when I did my 1.8T last year the clutch fingers stick out until bolted to the box and then they are almost flat when it is bolted down properly. Sorry I didn't take any photos! (I was too busy swearing at it!)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 23:37 Thread Starter

No I didn't try to push the clutch while the engine was on the bench 😂 That would have been silly but it's always worth the check.

I haven't had the chance to do anything with it today but I have bought another clutch kit that arrived today and there are some noticeable differences for example the clutch pressure plate is a lot thinner than the last one which protruded from the housing I'll try to get some photos to explain what I mean when I refit. The last one fitted had all the fingers pointed clearly inwards towards the engine. I'm fairly certain form your explanation this is my issue.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 13-03-2017, 12:05
Supporter

Car: facelift 75 CDTi
Success?

Interesting! How did you end up? I can only assume all has gone well
John