Cutting out - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 15:10 Thread Starter

Car: R75 Mk2 1.8t, Mazda6 (Gen 2) TS2- 2.2TD
Cutting out

If you look I have just put up another thread out a leak and changing the fuel filter. Well I have sorted the leak out and changed my filter fine.

But my problem now is I must have disturbed something. The car runs fine on tick over and low rev's. But after putting my foot down and giving it a little blast the car seems to cut out. Just like its running out of fuel.

Took it for a small drive it was fine, then put my foot down and took it up the rev range. Was fine with my foot down but then when I took it off and slowed down it ran for a few seconds and the started to cut and then died on me. If I then give it a few seconds it starts up again more or less straight away.

I have checked and triple checked the filter housing and all it connections, nothing is leaking or sucking air in. Non of the pipes seem to be bent or kinked in anyway. But yet I cant seem to figure it.

Is it just a case that I havent bleed it correctly? If so what is the recommended way to bleed the system. Car currently has around 1/2 a tank so I would have thought that was plenty.

Other thank that has anyone any ideas, I just cant think of anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 15:29
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
I replied in your fuel filter thread.

You should put orange clip onto filter housing as metal circlip do not hold filter housing thight so you have air in the fuel line. Look at MGJohn guide on this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 15:38 Thread Starter

Yes I have refitted the orange clip to the filter housing.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 20-04-2017, 11:38 Thread Starter

Right I have more baffling info on this.

I have a look this morning. When the car is stationary its totaly fine, up or down the rev range. The problem only arises when moving, even only a few feet. Just after the car starts to move any distance it seems to start struggling, as if it isnt picking up fuel.

Everythign seems in place correctly, Im just struggling to get my head round this problem now as it was fine before.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 20-04-2017, 16:22
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Problems you are describing all point on problem with fuel pump or fuel filter problem.

Since all of this started when you changed fuel filter, although you did all you should, I cannot give better advice but to re-check all items including o-seals if sitting properly and not bent for any reason.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 20-04-2017, 17:52

Car: 2004 Facelift 75 Connoisseur 1.8 turbo with DD Pack. And remember, the troof is out there.
The orange clip can be only half of the FFS solution, it certainly was for me. So, I think I'd double-check the thin o-ring on the filter module cap. If it's still the original it may have distorted. If it was recently replaced, it may have twisted and displaced on tightening up. It's so thin and fragile it requires plently of lube and careful tightening.

TC