Deep Joy. A rare EUREKA Brakes experience. - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MGJohn

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:06 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Cool Deep Joy. A rare EUREKA Brakes experience.

Some of you may recall my disappointment with the Brakes on several of my MG ZT projects over the past four years. They work of course and no issues come MoT time but, never as nicely as those Brakes on my MG ZS ( mainly driven by my better half ) and my workhorse for the past dozen years, a 1999 Rover 620ti. Both have fine brakes with an operation, pedal travel and above all, a "feel" or feedback which suits my driving style.

My most recent project, a 05-Reg MG ZT-T 1.8t does have Brakes with the better qualities I prefer listed above. Much more impressive than the five others I've driven.

So, recently I removed the front Brake Pads from that 05-Reg ZT-T and fortunately, the pads were young enough with light corrosion to still show the Brand. MINTEX. :~

I bought a set of MINTEX Front Brake Pads for 19.50p delivered off an ebay seller which arrived two days later. Fitted those to my 55-Reg and was delighted to find they do indeed have those Brake qualities I prefer. I expect further improvement as the new Pads bed in.

Suits me nicely

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 11:14

Car: 54 Conny 1.8T BRG
I've got Mintex all round and never had a problem with them.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 18:16

Car: 75
awesome.. does the brake pad wear warning light work at all? i replaced the pair on my 214 when it started whining...
gotta do something about my rear brake lines too as it was an advisory from the previous mot (corroded)... im thinking something happened to the car before i bought it cause the mot failures it had were leaking brake fluid, ****** rear brakes, and a rear suspesion protector thingy's broke

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 18:27 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
awesome.. does the brake pad wear warning light work at all? i replaced the pair on my 214 when it started whining...
gotta do something about my rear brake lines too as it was an advisory from the previous mot (corroded)... im thinking something happened to the car before i bought it cause the mot failures it had were leaking brake fluid, ****** rear brakes, and a rear suspesion protector thingy's broke
Corroded brake-lines are an MoT favourite. If the corrosion is merely light, all you need do is manually rub the light corrosion away with wet and dry or other abrasive paper, then a coat of Hammerite Silver to greatly reduce the chances of further corrosion.

Brake warning light sensor. With ignition on, carefully "ground" it's metal end on a disc or metal part of the car when you renew the Pads next time. That should light it up. As the pads wear down to a minimum, the metal bulge on the Sensor's head will come into contact with the Brake Disc which should illuminate the Instrument icon to alert the car user.
pingpong likes this.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......