Definitive World Wide List of Garages & Parts Centres - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 166 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
post #41 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:39 Thread Starter

Car: Audi A4 S-Line TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdrinkwater View Post
If Satan wants to make a post with the updated list ONLY in it, then I can make that a sticky, but I don't want this thread as a sticky as it would be kinda messy. A single post with the details in it wuld be good.

We can then close the sticky & only reopen it when Satan sends me additional garages to add to the sticky.

This way it would keep the list clean & uncluttered.

Hope that makes sense, and will help everyone.

Regards, Rob.
Yup, that makes sense. Perhaps it's best only to make it a sticky once there are garages under most of the locations on the list? Or... if it's made a sticky (with only the list in it) would I still be able to add things to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:50
Poacher turned Gamekeeper

Car: MG ZT-T CDTi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork.satan View Post
Yup, that makes sense. Perhaps it's best only to make it a sticky once there are garages under most of the locations on the list? Or... if it's made a sticky (with only the list in it) would I still be able to add things to it?

If we made it sticky & closed it, you would need to either sendme the detail you wanted to copy & paste in, then I could add that content, or I could open the thread for you to edit & then close it again, either way it would be editable.

As you say, once we've got a good cross section across the country, a list will be worthwhile.

Keep in touch on it.

Regards, Rob.
post #43 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:52
Poacher turned Gamekeeper

Car: MG ZT-T CDTi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldelhi View Post
Collison Motoring Services
127/129 London Road
Cowplain
Waterlooville
Hampshire
PO8 8XL
02392 259311
www.collisonmotoringservices.co.uk

Used as a result of recommendation by Rob Drinkwater on this forum.
Highly Recommended by myself.
Superb Service in every respect.

This thread is a great idea.
Regards Ian
Glad to hear that Rob & his team down there at Collisons are still doing an excellent job, and that my recommendation was fully founded.

Nice premesis, friendly knowledgeable staff & a good job at sensible money. It really is the way all garages should be.

Regards, Rob.

post #44 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 14:22

Car: Honda Odyssey EX-L
Just noticed that Wridgways get mentioned twice.

If they are recommended by two members then it maybe more productive just to add satisfied members to the one listing.

This may also give the service provider a rating. If someone goes to a mechanic on recommendation from this list and is satisfied just add their member name.

Just a suggestion???

Edd
post #45 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 14:34 Thread Starter

Well spotted!

I've edited the list. I'll add the new recommendations when I get home...
post #46 of 299 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 14:34

Another thing... I don't see Lates in the list. I have never been there but many members have and usually rave about the place. I know he doesn't like having his address published and he works on appointments only.

So can someone who has experienced his services make the recommendation and just publish his website.

If for some reason he doesn't want to be included then forget this post and I will delete it.

Edd
post #47 of 299 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 23:25
Supporter

Car: facelift 75 CDTi
Looking forward to when this list is a lot more complete by including the rest of Europe..Excellent for piece of mind....Would also like to see something in Ireland , so come on chaps (and ladies).
post #48 of 299 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 07:55

Thinking about this list, as-yer-do...

Any garages or service centres that gets listed here are ones that we personally have used and recommended because we are very pleased with the quality of service provided. Many newbies will have the option to use these garages on our recommendation. Also some established members may even change to using these people too. So we need to be sure that these services are okay to recommend.

The level of service will vary according to the service provided. For example; I would assume if they can do cambelts for a V6 engines or something equivalent in a diesel engine, would put the said garage in the high end of the services they provide.

This doesn't necessarily eliminate other garages who may do excellent work on other aspects of our vehicles. So I was thinking that when we make a recommendation, make sure you mention what was done. This may even extend to saying things such as a great paint job or if a valeting service you was pleased with the clean ash trays etc. Hope you get my drift?

I see that that are still many areas not covered. If you do find somewhere you are happy with don't hesitate to mention them. If you have an issue with a place don't mention them for all sorts of legal reasons. Assume if a place is not mentioned it doesn't come up to scratch. If you do use a place not mentioned then give a review. As more members use the recommended places tell us and you're member name will be added to the recommended service. The more we use them the more ratings they will get.

No garages should be able to buy a place on the list as it will give them a lot of Kudos to be included by us users. The list should be driven by the users. As our cars get older this list will become a very valuable resource both to members and the service provider.

This list will soon be made a Sticky without all these posts underneath and only Mods and Clockwork Satan will have the option to edit the list. If you come across a garage or service you would be happy to recommend and you wish them to be added to the list then start a thread about it or if you see a thread already started you can mention a service provider you want to recommend. I think by doing this via a public thread will be better than a PM to a Mod or Clocky who may or may not know the service provider so they can be verified. This would give an opportunity for someone who may have used the provider to express a review as well. The more the recommendations the better.

Sorry this has rambled on a bit but if the list does become a Sticky it will be a very good resource for members.

All the above is my 2P's worth only, if anyone wants to add to or comment on the above please do so before the list is made a Sticky and subsequent posts are deleted.

Edd
post #49 of 299 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 16:31 Thread Starter

Those are great tips, Mr.Edd. It definately is a good idea not to mention garages that people might have had bad experiences with - one small slip could lead to large legal ramifications should the garage catch wind of what's been said on the forum.

Obviously (I hope) everyone on here will be an enthusiast and will want only the best for their cars, so once it is more complete it will be of vital use to new owners or ones that are looking for a good place to get their car serviced.

Anyways, that's the list updated again with the most recent addition. And here I go with another shouty bit:

WE NEED MORE RECOMMENDED GARAGES FROM SCOTLAND, N.ENGLAND, WALES, IRELAND, and THE REST OF THE WORLD!!!

So... Er, get your thumbs out!
post #50 of 299 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork.satan View Post
WE NEED MORE RECOMMENDED GARAGES FROM SCOTLAND, N.ENGLAND, WALES, IRELAND, and THE REST OF THE WORLD!!!

So... Er, get your thumbs out!

Pardon?

Can't hear you!

Edd
post #51 of 299 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 21:59

Car: R45 1.8 Impression S - Platinum Silver
Perhaps this thread should be publicised in the other sections, am sure the 25/ZR, 45/ZS, etc owners can fill in some of the blanks.
post #52 of 299 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Perhaps this thread should be publicised in the other sections, am sure the 25/ZR, 45/ZS, etc owners can fill in some of the blanks.

Good point. I have posted a thread in the General MG Rover chat area with a link to this thread.

Perhaps others can do the same in other areas?

Edd
post #53 of 299 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 22:19

Car: 54 ZT260 SE
But what happens if someone wants to rant on about a poor repair/service that they may have had. Surely everyone needs to be made aware of such a place, god forbid. There must be someway we can communicate this thoughout the forum. For everyone's benefit, we shouldn't keep quiet - what if someone else gets bad treatment. I sure would feel guilty if someone went somewhere where I had received bad/poor treatment and didn't tell them before hand!
Cant someone keep a list of such places - off thread of course !!

Last edited by OhNoItsD; 08-05-2009 at 22:25.
post #54 of 299 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienp View Post
But what happens if someone wants to rant on about a poor repair/service that they may have had. Surely everyone needs to be made aware of such a place, god forbid. There must be someway we can communicate this thoughout the forum. For everyone's benefit, we shouldn't keep quiet - what if someone else gets bad treatment. I sure would feel guilty if someone went somewhere where I had received bad/poor treatment and didn't tell them before hand!
Problem is that owners of such places can get to hear about it and put the site admins under legal pressure. Though perhaps no reason they cannot be listed and it left at that.
post #55 of 299 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Edd View Post
Good point. I have posted a thread in the General MG Rover chat area with a link to this thread.

Perhaps others can do the same in other areas?

Edd
Posted link to 45/ZS section.
post #56 of 299 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Problem is that owners of such places can get to hear about it and put the site admins under legal pressure. Though perhaps no reason they cannot be listed and it left at that.

I guess it is a matter of buyer beware. If a place is recommended by us chances are others will get good service too. If they choose to use somewhere else and the service doesn't come up to scratch they don't get listed in here. If the member wishes to rant about a place in his own thread then the normal forum rules would apply.

If this becomes a sticky no one else will be able to add a place to this list. If someone has a bad experience at one of the listed places it can be removed if it is justified.

A little common sence is all that is needed.

Edd
post #57 of 299 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 22:41

Quote:
Cant someone keep a list of such places - off thread of course !!
I guess if some one (like you) were to keep a book of none recommended service providers. Then if someone asks here if a none listed provider is okay. Then another member could tell them to PM you and if that provider is on your list you can PM back and tell them. If the provider is not on either list then buyer beware for the person making the enquiry.

Edd
post #58 of 299 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 22:45

Car: 54 ZT260 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Edd View Post
I guess if some one (like you) were to keep a book of none recommended service providers. Then if someone asks here if a none listed provider is okay. Then another member could tell them to PM you and if that provider is on your list you can PM back and tell them. If the provider is not on either list then buyer beware for the person making the enquiry.

Edd
Good point Mr Edd - I could handle that, but i wouldn't want to be drawn into any debates between forum member & crap garage.
post #59 of 299 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 22:54

Quote:
Good point Mr Edd - I could handle that, but i wouldn't want to be drawn into any debates between forum member & crap garage.

Excactly!.. So if a provider is NOT listed then if someone wants to try a none listed place it is his choice. If the service is quality he can ask for them to be added to the list if not then if he says so in his own thread then normal forum rules apply.

Maybe if they were to do a forum search using that providers name it may show up in a thread and he can make his own mind up based on the info in that thread. He will then realise that is why the provider was not in our list.

Edd
post #60 of 299 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 23:39

Car: 03 75 club auto 2 litre tourer beastie with working fbh, but arseless cupholder
Quote:
the problem with a list of crap garages is it would be like war and peace [HUGE] flyer.