Does 2nd hand ECU part numbers have to exactly match ECU's its to replace - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 15-11-2013, 15:06 Thread Starter

Car: 135+ CDTI
Does 2nd hand ECU part numbers have to exactly match ECU's its to replace

Hi all hope you well.

Rover 75 Diesel 2002 Club my fathers in 7th wk of non starting fault.
ECU at fault, been away for repair, no fault found but further diagnostics is saying is ECU, have had money refunded and decided to buy off ebay 2nd hand ECU, EWS3 and Transponder in hope would be cheaper option.
Already posted re prob but still require little advise:

Stuff off ebay arrived and advertised EWS3 was actually a Glow Plug Relay. No surprise no further coms from seller.

So have found another set of ECU/EWS3/TRANSPONDER but the ECU part number off my fathers car is:
BOSCH NNN 100 692
7 785 541
The one I have now found on eBay from a running doner Rover 75 Diesel 2002 part number is:
BOSCH NNN 100 720
7 788 053

I think I know answer to this but does this matter? They look identical, the ECU I have already purchased off eBay as previously mentioned above was the exact same part number as my fathers car which is what has stopped and made me query the compatibility.

I have noticed all the EWS3 part numbers etc for sale appear the same.
Could I simply purchase one of these EWS3 off eBay? and use this with the ECU off eBay I currently have which as mentioned is the same part number as my fathers car.

Again folks any help would be really appreciated.
Steve
PS have auto electrician ready to match it all up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 15-11-2013, 15:27

Car: Mk2 ZS T16 turbo
Send a message via Yahoo to pscott
No, they don't have to be the same number as sometimes items are superceded so the number changes but the early and late items are still interchangeable, the trick is to discover if the original item was superceded by the one that you have as a replacement.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 15-11-2013, 15:30

Car: Mk2 ZS T16 turbo
Send a message via Yahoo to pscott
Entering the 2 part numbers NNN100692, & NNN100720 into Rimmers Bros search box suggests they are not interchangeable.

www.rimmerbros.co.uk

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 15-11-2013, 16:04 Thread Starter

Many thanks for rapid response,
suspected as much,
never thought to look at Rimmers stuff cheers for looking ave gone fault blind on this one.
Will try source set with matching part numbered ECU.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 15-11-2013, 18:07
Trader Supporter

Car: MG Express (Van)
Garages
The numbers have to match, the 720 is an automatic ecu of no use to you.

TS Autos - I do everything apart from paint and bodywork, I excel in trim, mechanical and electrical faults on all models, but know ZT/75's every nut and bolt quite literally. Please PM me if you need a part or work doing to your car! location as requested Midlands Area DY8 1XQ
www.tsautos.com
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 15-11-2013, 20:54

Car: 2013 MG 3 VTI Tech Style
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts autos View Post
The numbers have to match, the 720 is an automatic ecu of no use to you.
As a line in a Wings song goes "won't you listen to what the man says?" Terry knows these things big style.

Last edited by simcor; 16-11-2013 at 22:29.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 16-11-2013, 22:25 Thread Starter

Many thanks guys,
super cheers to TS Autos, prevented a wasted purchase
Steve
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-11-2013, 10:28 Thread Starter

Well Peeps just to finish this thread.
It seems the unscrupulous ebayer did us a favour.
It worked!!!!!! car running perfect.
So anyone with an ECU that has got wet or suspected faulty there are 3 options:
1). Send it away for repair as I did (but mine came back saying was ok when it was not, money been re-embersed) Is this an isolated incident I ask myself or is ECU repairing a little hit and miss?????
2).Look for second hand ECU (must I STRESS MUST be exactly same DDE NNN part no. to be absolutely sure you get a compatible ECU, number will be on side of ECU), EWS3(Immoboliser) and car key with transponder, ensure is off the same car, the car was a runner prior to these items been taken off. The transponder by the way is in a compartment within the key fob when you open it up, small and black it is.
PS. Be wary you don't get the Glow Plug Relay instead of the EWS3(IMMOBILISER) as I did, as relay is in same compartment as ECU in the plenum chamber compartment and looks similar so can see why people may think its the EWS3.
NOTE: This method may require an auto locksmith to sync the rolling bar code from your original key to the EWS3 immoboliser, this was the route I was going to take(but got a glow plug relay instead) so have not personally tried this myself.
3).Purchase a 2nd hand ECU with exactly same DDE NNN number, got mine for 50, then I personally took mine to ACE Diagnostics Graham 079567 631491 www.acediagnostics.co.uk you will have to disconnect ECU from car and either send it to him or if local he will pick it up or you can drop it off with him and for 80 he takes all data off your non serviceable ECU EPROM and blows it into your replacement 2ND hand ECU. Beauty of this is all your car VIN, rolling bar code and various other car data is still the same. I simply connected my replacement ECU into car and she fired up straight away, and both keys still worked.
The guy so easy to deal with, very knowledgeable, points out any pitfalls first and offered free of charge a I was local to come out to car if after I'd connected ECU it did not start, truly superb service, always returns calls, highly recommend.

So 2mths later having tried following using my car as donor (MG ZT Diesel)
MAF
under bonnet fuel pump
under back seat fuel pump (was faulty by the way)
crankcase sensor
fuel pressure sensor]
cam sensor
clamped fuel line back to tank from injectors to see if was injector leak back issue
sprayed cold start into inlet, started and ran for a few seconds (shouldn't do this or bump start cars so I have been told)
disconnected Fuel Rail Sensor electically, (this bypasses sensor and car goes into limp home mode but at least starts)
Didn't check high pressure pump other than look for leaks.

Toodlepip
Steve
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-11-2013, 16:13

Car: Far too many!
Do you still have the original broken NNN100692 ECM then Steve ?

I may well be interested to have a look at this.

Cheers

Brian
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-11-2013, 21:48 Thread Starter

Certainly have Brian, diagnosis came back evidence of water ingress/damage, areas cleaned but when bench tested was good to go so no fault found.
T4 Diagnostic Tool said differently and car would not start