FBH odd behaviour - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 12:17 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 75 Tourer CDTi Connoisseur
Question FBH odd behaviour

It was cold one day last week - the car's temp sensor said 3.5C. When I got to work, and switched off the engine, I noticed the FBH was running. After about 15 seconds it switched off.

So, assume that it has worked correctly by activating itself due to the temp being below 5C.

However, it takes me 40 minutes to get to work, so the car would have got to operating temperature easily. Also, when I got to work, the temp was 7.5C. So why would the FBH still be operating when I got to work?

Is this normal behaviour? I always assumed that it would switch off once the engine got near operating temperature.

Cheers

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 13-10-2009, 10:11

Car: 75cdt +Ronbox+ FBH thanks to FrenchMike
Unhappy

If you do a "Search" for the FBH..........lot`s of info. Sounds like yours has the pcb problem that lots have. If it just starts on it own or when you open a door or the bonnet, then it gone west!
You will need to remove the power cable or it could run the battery down over night. Cost of a fix.........
pete
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-11-2009, 12:28 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 75 Tourer CDTi Connoisseur
Pete, thanks for your reply - I've only just noticed it -I thought nobody had bothered!

Can you point me in the right direction to a thread re this PCB issue please.

The FBH seems to work in itself, however I would have expected it to switch off after the engine has warmed up, not stay running all the time. What is normal behaviour for the FBH?

BTW, I've just bought a new battery because the car wouldn't start this morning. I'm now wondering if the battery might be OK because the FBH is playing up!

Cheers

Al

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-11-2009, 12:35

Car: 03 75 club auto 2 litre tourer beastie with working fbh, but arseless cupholder
al it may or may not be true that the fbh switches off when temp is reached but i noticed last week that mine was still running at journey end , however it was only 3.5 outside at the time , the same happened this morning and journey end was 2.0 outside so it looks like it runs on outside temp and not coolant temp , something new i have learned methinks. Flyer.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 30-11-2009, 13:35
Trader Supporter

Car: MG Express (Van)
Garages
See my post for webasto
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 22:37

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
I'm also having troubling with my FBH. It's doing the the common trick of turning on briefly when the car's unlocked or disturbed but not turning on via the remote or control panel in the armrest.
Had a slight glimmer of hope earlier. I checked all four fuses and since doing so, the unit starts as does the ATC but then cuts off within a second.
From what I read during numerous searches it looks like my FBH is shot but haven't been able to find any definite answers. I'm going to try the reset procedure (unplug the 6-pin then 2-pin plugs) and see how it goes.
I was chuffed when I saw the car had the FBH and bloody miffed when it didn't work!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 22:41
Trader Supporter

Garages
plug in may help with t4 there is a diagnostic procedure on there
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 22:53

Car: 03 75 club auto 2 litre tourer beastie with working fbh, but arseless cupholder
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlxs View Post
I'm also having troubling with my FBH. It's doing the the common trick of turning on briefly when the car's unlocked or disturbed but not turning on via the remote or control panel in the armrest.
Had a slight glimmer of hope earlier. I checked all four fuses and since doing so, the unit starts as does the ATC but then cuts off within a second.
From what I read during numerous searches it looks like my FBH is shot but haven't been able to find any definite answers. I'm going to try the reset procedure (unplug the 6-pin then 2-pin plugs) and see how it goes.
I was chuffed when I saw the car had the FBH and bloody miffed when it didn't work!
i had the very same thing on my first 75 fbh , the fan would start up when you lifted the bonnet then stop just as suddenly , needless to say the pcb had took a permenant hissy fit and it became a working or non working unit for the rest of its useless life aarrghh . flyer.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 23:03

Car: 06 MG ZT CDTi
You guys are so lucky to have a FBH - I crave that warmth in winter mornings.

However I once had a Metro with the blower button jammed on, the elastic band that moved the vent distribution had snapped and the heater did not work so I had cold air blowing on my hand and face permanently - great on a winters morning.

I had to drive that thing with gloves, scarf and a balaclava as it was warmer outside.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 23:09
Trader Supporter

Garages
Ive seen pick up pipes missing from the tank pump a couple of times can only assume they were dislodged when replacing or checking tank pump it's like a drinking straw from the top union down into the fuel a pipe within a pipe
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 23:31

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartm1 View Post
You guys are so lucky to have a FBH - I crave that warmth in winter mornings.

However I once had a Metro with the blower button jammed on, the elastic band that moved the vent distribution had snapped and the heater did not work so I had cold air blowing on my hand and face permanently - great on a winters morning.

I had to drive that thing with gloves, scarf and a balaclava as it was warmer outside.
i dont like to rub it in stu but i must say these last couple of days the 75 has been TOASTY hee hee. nite mate . flyer.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 09:50

Car: 75cdt +Ronbox+ FBH thanks to FrenchMike
The "issue" with the pcb is that you can not just buy one. It appears that Webasto do not give out information etc and you have to book the car in for them to investigate. Others on here have done lots to find away around this but as far as i know.........no luck.
When i phoned, was told that it may cost 300 to fix! Now thats just a rip off!
If you have any luck, do please repost.
pete
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 09:56

iirc keith alexander had the same problem when he was repairing FBHs for members in that he could,nt source the printed boards, sadly after being let down by some folk he no longer repairs them . Flyer.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 16:16

Update: I pulled the plugs out to reset the FBH unit and now it behaves slightly differently. It activates upon unlocking/opening door as before but now when I tun the unit on, I can hear coolant being circulated which happens for longer then the unit fan stays on. Any ideas if this is a good or bad sign? I want it working!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 16:25

Quote:
Update: I pulled the plugs out to reset the FBH unit and now it behaves slightly differently. It activates upon unlocking/opening door as before but now when I tun the unit on, I can hear coolant being circulated which happens for longer then the unit fan stays on. Any ideas if this is a good or bad sign? I want it working!!
if it,s firing the fan should run , if you aint getting warm exhaust coming out of the exhaust pipe then it,s not firing up IMHO , flyer.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalburnflyer View Post
if it,s firing the fan should run , if you aint getting warm exhaust coming out of the exhaust pipe then it,s not firing up IMHO , flyer.
Cheers Flyer. The fan seems to run but not sure about any exhaust gases. Whereabouts is the exhaust pipe?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 17:39

Quote:
Cheers Flyer. The fan seems to run but not sure about any exhaust gases. Whereabouts is the exhaust pipe?
it,s a straight down pipe that comes out of the bottom of the unit , it,s stainless steel so you cant miss it , if the unit is running correctly it will be hot so dont grab it [ouch] , flyer.