Finally Found My ZT - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 20:56 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZT+ MK2 1.8Turbo
Finally Found My ZT

So after thinking of coming back to driving a MG since I sold my ZR160 2 years ago and having owned 2 other cars since, they have both got on my nerves in some way or another for me to think I'll just go back to a MG as I enjoyed my 160 i just needed a change however I had less hassle with my MG than other cars and they are cheaper to buy and up keep, SO! I decided I was going to get a diesel zt........ But after months of looking I couldn't find 1 that took my fancy .....

Then! I came across a lil Gem of a ZT 1.8T and thought **** it, I'll snatch it up forget diesel, I always have been a petrol turbo person at heart lol. Only has 60,000 miles on it and lots of recent new engine work and paperwork and looks spotless! I'll collect it on Tuesday, but 1 question I have and wondering if anyone can explain, is that well we all know the company went under in 2005 and yet the latest regy mg cars I've come across have been at latest the end of 05 and very rarely an early 06 plate but the 1 I have just bought has a 2007 reg and I double checked it is legit and was first registered in march of 2007! How is this as it's 2 years after the company shut down.... anybody? Just curious, Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 20:59

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
Looking forward to the pictures.

I suspect the car will be a 2005 built but not sold until 2007.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 21:03 Thread Starter

Yeah I'll try get some up once it's home and cleaned.

Hmmm,... yeah I suppose that's probably the case makes sense. Thanks

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 21:07
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
After the company went under, the administrators released the cars that had been built but not registered (a lot had been sat on airfields reputedly) to various dealer networks. A few part-assembled cars were completed and sent for sale by the administrators once off the line also.

Many dealers had a fire sale, buying the cars cheap and selling them at 0000's below list price to get shot, presumably because they thought no-one would be interested. Some dealers however kept prices inflated, holding the cars unregistered in wait for the perfect buyer. Emissions regulations imposed a deadline for registration for these final cars, which from memory was 31st March 2007 (which correlates with your car).

So while your new ZT may have an '07 plate, it will have been built in 2005.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 21:09 Thread Starter

It's going to need a nice sporty exhaust syestem on her, hear it sing! Any suggestions guys? And also is an induction kit any use on these? Space wise? I know the ZR was a nightmare trying to get 1 fitted as no space for the hose.... or should I just stick a k&n panel filter in it?

Will be putting some mk2 ZS alloys on it aswel refurbished, I loved the ones I had on my 160,.. Miss them
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 10:02

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG ZR Jackass View Post
.......1 question I have and wondering if anyone can explain, is that well we all know the company went under in 2005 and yet the latest regy mg cars I've come across have been at latest the end of 05 and very rarely an early 06 plate but the 1 I have just bought has a 2007 reg and I double checked it is legit and was first registered in march of 2007! How is this as it's 2 years after the company shut down.... anybody? ....
Whilst volume production ended in early April 2005, the administrators did have a limited number of key line workers back in to finish off a quantity of nearly complete cars in around June 2005, and then (after the Chinese had removed the lines and other equipment, and XPart had been in and stripped some of the remaining part assembled cars for part stock), they then had these workers back again to build up as many complete cars as they were able to from the components still in the factory stores - a member of this forum was one of those workers (ts autos).

The administrators held back cars in stock and released them in batches to the dealers over the next few months to ensure some continuity of supply in the hope that new owners would restart production - the final batch were released to the dealers in March 2006.

I think the claims that there were 'airfields full' of unsold brand new MG Rover cars was proven to be a myth at the time (nearly all the ones that were in off site storage were ex lease cars).

Whilst some dealers cleared their stocks of new cars at reduced prices and got out quickly, others stayed the course and some unsold cars remained in stock for several years. Due to changes in emissions regulations at the beginning of 2006 (which the MG Rover cars didn't comply with), the administrators of MG Rover applied for a dispensation to allow stocks of new MG and Rover cars to be sold - this exemption was supposed to run for 3 years from the date of the last car being manufactured (at the time it was stated that all MGR cars should be registered by August 31st 2008). The result is that there were new cars still in some dealers stocks and being registered as new until the exemption expired, so the last remaining cars would have been registered on on 08 plate. Whilst they are few and far between, you do occassionally come across cars with 56 and 07 plates, and less often a 57 or 08. There have even been reports of one or two cars slipping through the net a being registered on a 58 plate (one which was verified was an Ignition Blue MG ZS which was in use by the security team at Longbridge for a couple of years - there are some pics somewhere on the forum).

Despite the year of registration, these cars will all have been manufactured in 2005, and will have been stood in a showroom or forecourt for the intervening time. Some of the 2006 and 2007 registered cars have an off-assembly date which was some weeks or months before MG Rover went bust.

On an 07 plate, this could possibly be one of the very last built, so may be worth checking out the details on www.mg-rover.info. the very last 75/ZT recorded on the build records had VIN/serial number of 355194.

Sounds a nice tidy example, but you won't be fitting the ZS 11 spokes to it - the 75/ZT has five wheel bolts where the ZS only had 4. They did factory fit the same style of wheel to the 'SE' versions of the ZT though, so you should be able to find a set of those.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 11:19 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man in the Car View Post
Whilst volume production ended in early April 2005, the administrators did have a limited number of key line workers back in to finish off a quantity of nearly complete cars in around June 2005, and then (after the Chinese had removed the lines and other equipment, and XPart had been in and stripped some of the remaining part assembled cars for part stock), they then had these workers back again to build up as many complete cars as they were able to from the components still in the factory stores - a member of this forum was one of those workers (ts autos).

The administrators held back cars in stock and released them in batches to the dealers over the next few months to ensure some continuity of supply in the hope that new owners would restart production - the final batch were released to the dealers in March 2006.

I think the claims that there were 'airfields full' of unsold brand new MG Rover cars was proven to be a myth at the time (nearly all the ones that were in off site storage were ex lease cars).

Whilst some dealers cleared their stocks of new cars at reduced prices and got out quickly, others stayed the course and some unsold cars remained in stock for several years. Due to changes in emissions regulations at the beginning of 2006 (which the MG Rover cars didn't comply with), the administrators of MG Rover applied for a dispensation to allow stocks of new MG and Rover cars to be sold - this exemption was supposed to run for 3 years from the date of the last car being manufactured (at the time it was stated that all MGR cars should be registered by August 31st 2008). The result is that there were new cars still in some dealers stocks and being registered as new until the exemption expired, so the last remaining cars would have been registered on on 08 plate. Whilst they are few and far between, you do occassionally come across cars with 56 and 07 plates, and less often a 57 or 08. There have even been reports of one or two cars slipping through the net a being registered on a 58 plate (one which was verified was an Ignition Blue MG ZS which was in use by the security team at Longbridge for a couple of years - there are some pics somewhere on the forum).

Despite the year of registration, these cars will all have been manufactured in 2005, and will have been stood in a showroom or forecourt for the intervening time. Some of the 2006 and 2007 registered cars have an off-assembly date which was some weeks or months before MG Rover went bust.

On an 07 plate, this could possibly be one of the very last built, so may be worth checking out the details on www.mg-rover.info. the very last 75/ZT recorded on the build records had VIN/serial number of 355194.

Sounds a nice tidy example, but you won't be fitting the ZS 11 spokes to it - the 75/ZT has five wheel bolts where the ZS only had 4. They did factory fit the same style of wheel to the 'SE' versions of the ZT though, so you should be able to find a set of those.
Awesome thanks for that in depth review, interesting, feel lucky to have 1 of the last ones made,.... think she's a keeper, not sure what the VIN was I'll maybe give it a look tomorrow.

Ahh ok thanks for thenalloys tip I knew I had seen the same alloys on ZT's also I just assumed they had picked up a pair of mk2 ZS 180s alloys but they only 17" so thought that was strange to put them smaller wheels in bigger car, so the ZT SE must have those alloys in 18" I'll need to keep a look out for a set. I'll try uploading a pic of the Ones I used to have going to get them done the same they were stunning.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 21:07 Thread Starter

So!,...

Bought her and got her home, looks stunning not a mark on it seems practically faultless and think I love it already...

Although couple things! ... lol

1st 1 I may suspect may be a biggy and I'm thinking it could be the turbo... when I was on the motorway and when i plant foot it's like it starts to pick up then stutters looses boost then picks up again maybe another stutter then it's fine,... when it's just cruising along no matter what speed it feels fine and pulls hard. What you guys reckon it is?

2nd issues is just the fans seems kinda noisy inside for the hot and cold air it's like a whistling noise when blowing the air, any ideas as to how to quieten it.

Other than that EVERYTHING! Else is spot on! And engine runs nice and smooth and quiet.... it's just when you plant the foot for a fast pick up it stutters at points,... could this be needing a new turbo? And is that going to be expensive? It's only on 60,000 miles btw. Thanks for any helpful advice guys.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 14:13 Thread Starter

Anyone know what the problems could be???^
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 20:46
Supporter

Garages
The stuttering might not be the turbo necessarily. Does it do the same thing lower down off boost?

The noisy fans could be something simple like leaves in the vent system. They can get sucked in. The intake is in the plenum chamber. Inspect now!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 21:26 Thread Starter

Lower down the revs and normal driving it is fine it's smooth. So if it's not the turbo what other possibility could it be you reckon?

I'll look in the plenum chamber.

Also new issue I changed the side lights today and plugged them in working fine but now the airbag light has now come on the dash lol, honestly! Just my kind of luck so what's happened here? Have I blew a fuse no doubt?

Thanks
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 18:03
Supporter

Garages
The SRS light is a common problem, usually easily resolved. Under each seat is a connector for the seatbelt pretensioner. The connectors are crap so with the ignition off, disconnection each, give it a clean and reconnect. Hopefully this will sort it. Google it for more info.

The fact the car stutters under heavy load could point to either the ignition system (plugs/leads/coil packs) or fueling (the fuel pumps are a weak point on these). The turbo pipework can also fail resulting in dissipating boost. Check the pipes very carefully for holes or splits (they can be VERY hard to spot).
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 18:50
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
As LeRich says... I'll just add 'FFS'. By that I mean fuel filter syndrome, which has often been reported as a problem in these cars. Unfortunately the filter is in the tank and has been known to rotate and block. MG John has posted an excellent illustrated explanation of this. Worth also considering as a possibility...

gnu
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 18:58

Car: mgzt190+,mgztcdti+mgzr105,kawasaki zx6r
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG ZR Jackass View Post
Anyone know what the problems could be???^
the engine stutter/jolt, will be overboost cut.. check the small pipes coming from the turbo wastegate etc, to the boost control solenoid located on the air cleaner housing,, pipes can split and cause boost leak( bleeding off), or the solenoid can seize.. new pipes and the final fix for the boost control solenoid is a Vauxhall insignia part..
Genuine Vauxhall Insignia Signum Vectra C Turbo Vacuum Solenoid Valve 12787706
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 20:06 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the helpful info guys, unfortunately I'm not that well skilled mechanically wise to tackle a problem like this I'm afraid.

So would need to hand it into my garage at some point, but can at least show them what I think the suggested symptoms could be.

I'll try the trick with the cables under the seats for the airbag light on.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 20:51 Thread Starter

Managed to get the airbag light off the dash

Also checked the plenums they seem clear and no water but still Whistling air into the cabin when fans up med/high,.... but I will need to put up with that and the stuttering until I can see if the garage can fix them for me .