Handbrake release button - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 15:40 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 75 Tourer
Question Handbrake release button

Hi gang , anybody know if it is possible to tighten up a loose handbrake release button without removing the handbrake lever from the car ? hopefully it's just a loose nut or something . At certain speeds it rattles and it's getting on my wick! I've managed to stop one rattle on my 75 cdt tourer which was a 5p piece that had fallen down that little gap under the rubber mat above the light switch .I'm driving to alicante in 3 weeks and would like her to be rattle and squeak free. P.S. just been given free in tank pump by a friend in the trade from a 1.8 petrol just hoping it's the same pump as used in the diesel .thanks peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 19:54

Car: Rover 75 V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
Hi gang , anybody know if it is possible to tighten up a loose handbrake release button without removing the handbrake lever from the car ? hopefully it's just a loose nut or something . At certain speeds it rattles and it's getting on my wick! I've managed to stop one rattle on my 75 cdt tourer which was a 5p piece that had fallen down that little gap under the rubber mat above the light switch .I'm driving to alicante in 3 weeks and would like her to be rattle and squeak free. P.S. just been given free in tank pump by a friend in the trade from a 1.8 petrol just hoping it's the same pump as used in the diesel .thanks peter
The short answer is yes but to do it you'll need to remove the faux leather gaitor assembly (strong elastic band holds it onto the rear of the grip and the bottom part is on palstic just push rear to remove) and then break the glue bond that holds the grip on and remove the grip (a twist with protected mole grips will do this then v. strong glue to replace).

hth

Mike

Then the whole assembly is available to you to quieten as you wish.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 20:03

Car: Rover 75
Send a message via MSN to Alex30013k
Wow mike, Have you been pulling your car apart?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 07:51

I get exactly the same!

I'll expect some pictures patrolman pete!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 09:24 Thread Starter

Exclamation Handbrake release button

I've removed the the grip and the gaiter in the past and been left with the metal handbrake lever but there does'nt seem to be a way to access the button end . It looks like a sealed unit but i didn't fancy taking the lever off the car just to find that i,ll have to replace the whole lever ! I feel that it must be a loose nut?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-09-2006, 15:11 Thread Starter

Talking

Just had 3 days off work so i decided to give the car a full service including all filters .The diesel models are so easy to work on that i couldn't justify any garage touching it plus it only cost me just over 70 for all the parts! After stripping and adjusting the handbrake i decided to take a closer look at this rattling hand brake button.With the lever stripped bare i noticed that there were 2 small indentations on the top of the button just where it goes into the lever .These to me looked like crimping marks so i gave them a gentle prise with a small electrical screwdriver and checked the button.The rattle that i've had for 3 years has dissapeared! It just goes to show what you can do when you can find the time!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-09-2006, 08:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
The short answer is yes but to do it you'll need to remove the faux leather gaitor assembly (strong elastic band holds it onto the rear of the grip and the bottom part is on palstic just push rear to remove) and then break the glue bond that holds the grip on and remove the grip (a twist with protected mole grips will do this then v. strong glue to replace).

hth

Mike

Then the whole assembly is available to you to quieten as you wish.
A slight hijack to this thread. I've just discovered that the gaitor around my handbrake has a tear in it, virtually all the way from top to bottom, and thus will be replacing it shortly. Quick question guys, what glue is recommended to refasten the grip with?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-09-2006, 08:30

Car: Rover 75 V8
I'd use Araldite two part epoxy following the instructions to the letter

hth

Mike
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-09-2006, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I'd use Araldite two part epoxy following the instructions to the letter

hth

Mike
Thanks Mike
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-09-2006, 20:59 Thread Starter

Thumbs up

There wasn't any glue on my handbrake grip ,i just twisted and off it came. I refitted the grip by pushing it on firmly and it's nice and tight! I wouldn't want to glue it on anyway as it's easier to adjust the handbrake cable with the grip and gaiter removed.