How do you wash your car? Am I the only person left in UK still washing his own car? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 15:57 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 75
How do you wash your car? Am I the only person left in UK still washing his own car?

It seems most people these days take advantage of our Eastern European friends with their jet-washes, and never get their hands cold in the bucket of soapy water themselves.

I gave up using automated car-washes years ago because of the grazes over all the paintwork. And my only experience of the newer "hand wash" was that the high powered jet washes took off any bit of flakey or loose paint or laquer.

So for those still hand-washing - how do you do it? After much experimentation, I now spray the whole car to saturate the grime, then use a sponge and soapy water starting with the roof and doors both sides - then rinse that with the hose, then sponge the back and front, then rinse that, then do the wheels with a brush from an old dustpan. Then I shammy the whole car, but usually get left with watermarks when it's dried. If I've got time I'll polish, which removes the watermarks and certainly makes washing much easier next time.

How about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 16:13

Car: Rover 75 Tourer
Send a message via Yahoo to Allanmorse Send a message via Skype™ to Allanmorse
Talking

I use a long brush attached to my hosepipe,it has a built in shampoo dispenser.
I usually use Auto Glym conditioning shampoo,which gives me a streak free finish.
I use a much bigger brush when washing the beast in my avatar lol
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 16:46

Car: ferrari 430f1 spider,sl65 amg,vauxhall zafira vxr family bus,focus rs 305ps
i also use autoglym products, i think they are excellent.

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 17:12

Car: Other Manufacturer
I clean the same as you grandtourer, its so much better, also a long while ago I did use a drive in wash , it took off the dirt and ripped off all four mudflaps (resulting in a bit of damage).
Since that day I have washed by hand the same way you do
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 17:38

Send a message via MSN to cheekylad
i dont clean mine often cos it never looks dirty and on the rare occassion it does get cleaned i use the jet wash at the local garage.
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 17:50

Car: 03 75 club auto 2 litre tourer beastie with working fbh, but arseless cupholder
Wink wash

warm water good quality wax wash good sponge with plenty life in it , but remember boys n girls dont flood those plenums cos a fast flow hose trained on the top is guaranteed to fill it up in seconds use spray. coalburnflyer.
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 17:58 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalburnflyer View Post
warm water good quality wax wash good sponge with plenty life in it , but remember boys n girls dont flood those plenums cos a fast flow hose trained on the top is guaranteed to fill it up in seconds use spray. coalburnflyer.
Errrrmmm, what's a plenum?
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:01

Car: MGF Trophy 160, MGB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandtourer View Post
Errrrmmm, what's a plenum?

http://www.forums.mg-rover.org/showt...=plenum+drains

I'm hoping your question may be a joke.
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:19 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin View Post
http://www.forums.mg-rover.org/showt...=plenum+drains

I'm hoping your question may be a joke.
No, it was serious - Rats - now i've got something else to worry about.
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:20

I avoid mechanical car washes, may as well throw gravel at the paintwork IMO.

I occasionally use the local hand car wash if I'm in a hurry but I don't like it as I suspect they use truck wash and they tend to make a mitt-full of wash last for half the car.

If I do it myself, I use a pressure washer with a lightish spray to loosen the dirt. Then use Megs NXT wash and a lambswool mitt, two buckets. Rinse with the pressure washer on the same spray as at the start. Dry with a Megs Water Magnet and, if I have time, blow the crevices with a blow gun on my compressor. Finally, twice or maybe three times a year a good application of Megs NXT Tech Wax.

Wish I was brave enough to try claying and machine polishing as my car has quite a few swirls on the bodywork, I suspect the previous owner used car washes regularly.
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:35

Car: CityRover
Pressure washers, sponges and long brushes Hope no one from the detailing forum see's this thread!
post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:38

Car: Punto/saxo,others.
Send a message via MSN to mickh
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandtourer View Post
It seems most people these days take advantage of our Eastern European friends with their jet-washes, and never get their hands cold in the bucket of soapy water themselves.

I gave up using automated car-washes years ago because of the grazes over all the paintwork. And my only experience of the newer "hand wash" was that the high powered jet washes took off any bit of flakey or loose paint or laquer.

So for those still hand-washing - how do you do it? After much experimentation, I now spray the whole car to saturate the grime, then use a sponge and soapy water starting with the roof and doors both sides - then rinse that with the hose, then sponge the back and front, then rinse that, then do the wheels with a brush from an old dustpan. Then I shammy the whole car, but usually get left with watermarks when it's dried. If I've got time I'll polish, which removes the watermarks and certainly makes washing much easier next time.

How about you?
Add wash n wax to the bucket and thats pretty much how i do it.
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:45

Car: Rover 75 Club 2.0
Talking

Quote:
Wish I was brave enough to try claying and machine polishing as my car has quite a few swirls on the bodywork, I suspect the previous owner used car washes regularly.

Don't be scared to Clay your car. I am an absolute novice when it comes to that knid of thing and I found it really easy to do. The difference it made to my paint work was well worth taking the so called risk. Honestly, it was really easy.
post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
Don't be scared to Clay your car. I am an absolute novice when it comes to that knid of thing and I found it really easy to do. The difference it made to my paint work was well worth taking the so called risk. Honestly, it was really easy.

What would you recommend for a novice then?
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:50

Car: Rover 75 1.8 Club SE
Spent a good couple of hours today cleaning my baby, she looks wonderful, I clean her everyweek using autoglym shampoo and rinse with warm water from a watering can, leather her off (never have any water marks afterwards), today I also gave her a coat of polish, which I do approx every month. The reason i do it monthly is that I am sad I find it very theraputic.
It also makes here easier to clean.
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 19:13

Car: Rover 75 Club 2.0
Quote:
What would you recommend for a novice then?

Meguiars Quik Clay. Around 12.99.
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 19:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
Meguiars Quik Clay. Around 12.99.

Does that include a lubricant and idiot-proof instructions?
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 19:27 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegroboi View Post
today I also gave her a coat of polish, which I do approx every month. The reason i do it monthly is that I am sad I find it very theraputic.
It also makes here easier to clean.
No, not sad, polish is the good stuff - protects the car, keeps it cleaner, and you can definitely tell the difference next time you wash how much easier it is. Another good reason for avoiding the professional jet-washes - they take all your hard-earned polish right off.
post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 20:17

Car: MG ZTT
well did both my tourer & the Mrs Veccy this weekend, did they both the same way...

car mats out, shake them
me & Henry hoover all the insides then the mats & put them back in
hose the whole car, bucket of fairy washing up liquid & hot water with sponge
roof, side, hose other side then rear & hose then wheels with sponge too
bucket of clean cold water & shammy until dry, shammy doorsills, instead windows & dash... then shammy where the waters come out the wing mirrors

stand back & admire!
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 20:22

Car: ford fiesta 1.25lx zetec
bucket of cold water with flash car shampoo and sponge.