How do you wash your car? Am I the only person left in UK still washing his own car? - MG-Rover.org Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 15:57 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Car: Rover 75
Posts: 508
How do you wash your car? Am I the only person left in UK still washing his own car?

It seems most people these days take advantage of our Eastern European friends with their jet-washes, and never get their hands cold in the bucket of soapy water themselves.

I gave up using automated car-washes years ago because of the grazes over all the paintwork. And my only experience of the newer "hand wash" was that the high powered jet washes took off any bit of flakey or loose paint or laquer.

So for those still hand-washing - how do you do it? After much experimentation, I now spray the whole car to saturate the grime, then use a sponge and soapy water starting with the roof and doors both sides - then rinse that with the hose, then sponge the back and front, then rinse that, then do the wheels with a brush from an old dustpan. Then I shammy the whole car, but usually get left with watermarks when it's dried. If I've got time I'll polish, which removes the watermarks and certainly makes washing much easier next time.

How about you?
grandtourer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 16:13
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pontypridd
Car: Rover 75 Tourer
Posts: 101
Send a message via Yahoo to Allanmorse Send a message via Skype™ to Allanmorse
Talking

I use a long brush attached to my hosepipe,it has a built in shampoo dispenser.
I usually use Auto Glym conditioning shampoo,which gives me a streak free finish.
I use a much bigger brush when washing the beast in my avatar lol
Allanmorse is offline  
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 16:46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: lincolnshire
Car: ferrari 430f1 spider,sl65 amg,vauxhall zafira vxr family bus,focus rs 305ps
Posts: 3,759
i also use autoglym products, i think they are excellent.
buttsi is offline  
 
post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 17:12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Car: Other Manufacturer
Posts: 37
I clean the same as you grandtourer, its so much better, also a long while ago I did use a drive in wash , it took off the dirt and ripped off all four mudflaps (resulting in a bit of damage).
Since that day I have washed by hand the same way you do
imdougie2 is offline  
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 17:38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: west bromwich
Car: Rover 75
Posts: 81
Send a message via MSN to cheekylad
i dont clean mine often cos it never looks dirty and on the rare occassion it does get cleaned i use the jet wash at the local garage.
cheekylad is offline  
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 17:50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: glasgow
Car: 03 75 club auto 2 litre tourer beastie with working fbh, but arseless cupholder
Posts: 18,813
Wink wash

warm water good quality wax wash good sponge with plenty life in it , but remember boys n girls dont flood those plenums cos a fast flow hose trained on the top is guaranteed to fill it up in seconds use spray. coalburnflyer.
FLYER is offline  
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 17:58 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Car: Rover 75
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalburnflyer View Post
warm water good quality wax wash good sponge with plenty life in it , but remember boys n girls dont flood those plenums cos a fast flow hose trained on the top is guaranteed to fill it up in seconds use spray. coalburnflyer.
Errrrmmm, what's a plenum?
grandtourer is offline  
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hartley Wintney, Hampshire.
Car: MGF Trophy 160, MGB.
Posts: 3,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandtourer View Post
Errrrmmm, what's a plenum?

http://www.forums.mg-rover.org/showt...=plenum+drains


I'm hoping your question may be a joke.
kelvin is offline  
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:19 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Car: Rover 75
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin View Post
http://www.forums.mg-rover.org/showt...=plenum+drains


I'm hoping your question may be a joke.
No, it was serious - Rats - now i've got something else to worry about.
grandtourer is offline  
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hartley Wintney, Hampshire.
Car: MGF Trophy 160, MGB.
Posts: 3,566
I avoid mechanical car washes, may as well throw gravel at the paintwork IMO.

I occasionally use the local hand car wash if I'm in a hurry but I don't like it as I suspect they use truck wash and they tend to make a mitt-full of wash last for half the car.

If I do it myself, I use a pressure washer with a lightish spray to loosen the dirt. Then use Megs NXT wash and a lambswool mitt, two buckets. Rinse with the pressure washer on the same spray as at the start. Dry with a Megs Water Magnet and, if I have time, blow the crevices with a blow gun on my compressor. Finally, twice or maybe three times a year a good application of Megs NXT Tech Wax.

Wish I was brave enough to try claying and machine polishing as my car has quite a few swirls on the bodywork, I suspect the previous owner used car washes regularly.
kelvin is offline  
post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Car: CityRover
Posts: 13,055
Pressure washers, sponges and long brushes Hope no one from the detailing forum see's this thread!
Phil is offline  
post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: brum
Car: Punto/saxo,others.
Posts: 1,916
Send a message via MSN to mickh
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandtourer View Post
It seems most people these days take advantage of our Eastern European friends with their jet-washes, and never get their hands cold in the bucket of soapy water themselves.

I gave up using automated car-washes years ago because of the grazes over all the paintwork. And my only experience of the newer "hand wash" was that the high powered jet washes took off any bit of flakey or loose paint or laquer.

So for those still hand-washing - how do you do it? After much experimentation, I now spray the whole car to saturate the grime, then use a sponge and soapy water starting with the roof and doors both sides - then rinse that with the hose, then sponge the back and front, then rinse that, then do the wheels with a brush from an old dustpan. Then I shammy the whole car, but usually get left with watermarks when it's dried. If I've got time I'll polish, which removes the watermarks and certainly makes washing much easier next time.

How about you?
Add wash n wax to the bucket and thats pretty much how i do it.
mickh is offline  
post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newark
Car: Rover 75 Club 2.0
Posts: 305
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin View Post
Wish I was brave enough to try claying and machine polishing as my car has quite a few swirls on the bodywork, I suspect the previous owner used car washes regularly.

Don't be scared to Clay your car. I am an absolute novice when it comes to that knid of thing and I found it really easy to do. The difference it made to my paint work was well worth taking the so called risk. Honestly, it was really easy.
DaveyDave is offline  
post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:49
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hartley Wintney, Hampshire.
Car: MGF Trophy 160, MGB.
Posts: 3,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
Don't be scared to Clay your car. I am an absolute novice when it comes to that knid of thing and I found it really easy to do. The difference it made to my paint work was well worth taking the so called risk. Honestly, it was really easy.

What would you recommend for a novice then?
kelvin is offline  
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 18:50
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Farnborough Hants
Car: Rover 75 1.8 Club SE
Posts: 75
Spent a good couple of hours today cleaning my baby, she looks wonderful, I clean her everyweek using autoglym shampoo and rinse with warm water from a watering can, leather her off (never have any water marks afterwards), today I also gave her a coat of polish, which I do approx every month. The reason i do it monthly is that I am sad I find it very theraputic.
It also makes here easier to clean.
Allegroboi is offline  
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 19:13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newark
Car: Rover 75 Club 2.0
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin View Post
What would you recommend for a novice then?

Meguiars Quik Clay. Around 12.99.
DaveyDave is offline  
post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 19:14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hartley Wintney, Hampshire.
Car: MGF Trophy 160, MGB.
Posts: 3,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
Meguiars Quik Clay. Around 12.99.

Does that include a lubricant and idiot-proof instructions?
kelvin is offline  
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 19:27 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Car: Rover 75
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegroboi View Post
today I also gave her a coat of polish, which I do approx every month. The reason i do it monthly is that I am sad I find it very theraputic.
It also makes here easier to clean.
No, not sad, polish is the good stuff - protects the car, keeps it cleaner, and you can definitely tell the difference next time you wash how much easier it is. Another good reason for avoiding the professional jet-washes - they take all your hard-earned polish right off.
grandtourer is offline  
post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 20:17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: darn sarf
Car: MG ZTT
Posts: 334
well did both my tourer & the Mrs Veccy this weekend, did they both the same way...

car mats out, shake them
me & Henry hoover all the insides then the mats & put them back in
hose the whole car, bucket of fairy washing up liquid & hot water with sponge
roof, side, hose other side then rear & hose then wheels with sponge too
bucket of clean cold water & shammy until dry, shammy doorsills, instead windows & dash... then shammy where the waters come out the wing mirrors

stand back & admire!
Cyril is offline  
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 24-02-2008, 20:22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: near coventry
Car: ford fiesta 1.25lx zetec
Posts: 296
bucket of cold water with flash car shampoo and sponge.
andybike is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MG-Rover.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Washing car without hose lawrenma2 Car Care & Detailing Forum 10 23-08-2008 07:53
Washing up liquid to wash car? Rover_King Car Care & Detailing Forum 4 02-12-2006 10:40
Car Washing Woes pshuttle MG / Rover Related Chat - up to 2005 18 12-10-2005 18:16
Car Washing Ken75 Others 16 08-09-2004 21:18

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome