MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Installing TOAF

61K views 199 replies 31 participants last post by  slovcan 
#1 ·
New thread as others might have similar problems.

Dusted off my ancient xp machine to try the long awaited TOAF programme but nothing happens. I’ve got BMW Scanner (usb) installed on the machine and that works, and imagined I could just install and then run TOAF but nothing activates.

I should be able to use the same cable, shouldn't I?

Should state as a very long term Mac user I know little about Windows, do I have to install new drivers (how?) even though the BMW scanner works?

Not able to post on the other side due to frustrating, single-minded censorship, certainly not the forum of 75 owners one expects.

Grateful for ideas

#2 · (Edited)
EDIT: I've come back to this to write the most important thing to do:
BACKUP EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES!
Hit that backup button!
Also stick with the modules that are an easy swap that don't need coding like BCU and LSM to begin with.
Then for belt and braces back them up to the cloud and if your not that techy then email the files to yourself so you will always have them.
END of EDIT
I also have the BMW scanner and was told months ago on the Polish forum that it wouldn't work so went about ordering a VAGCOM-KKl lead for £2.84 that I then soldered pins 7 and 8 together with a 1" piece of wire.If you can't solder I believe that an INPA cable at around £10 will work.:wink:
If I don't have my lead plugged in nothing works.
EDIT:
As to drivers I had mine up and running weeks ago but I see there are drivers on the TOAF download site.
I too no longer use Windows so I'm going to be vague here but to load a driver on something old like XP you plug the lead in and then in "device manager" you see what item has a big yellow question mark next to it and then right click and load new driver.Then go to a specific place and enter in where ever you left the downloaded driver. Or something like that :) bound to be a YouTube video for it.

EDIT AGAIN: A YouTube driver video for XP!

#7 ·
Nice to know I'm not the only one. Thought I'd give it some time and see if more ideas come in, otherwise I think I'll order this one, tomorrow. Shawn says that's what he's got and his works.

USB Cable KKL VAG-COM 409.1 OBD2 II OBD VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda Auto Diagnostic Tool | eBay

Can scarcely believe I've asked something TOAF related and the thread has neither been deleted nor locked, not what I was used to on the other site where the mere mention of Poles was enough to drive some mods to a semi-rabid sense, and at the same time forgetting the aim of the "club" and the value of an exchange of information between members.

I see you're in Norfolk and perhaps within easy reach of a competent T4 operator, but want to try things yourself. I believe my nearest one is Ed in London, nigh on a 1,000 miles away, so I really need to get this figured out.

Regards

#20 ·
Longer 86 ,sorry for crashing in on this toaf cable topic, Im trying to find out some information re getting my spare keys on two of my cars which work with my cars,they are able to start the cars but have not remote buttons working.
I believe we may have to pay somone ?to get a code ? or somthing to get a password ? know one seems to know how much to pay or who to pay the money to ??
Do you have any information on this ??

#22 ·
Finally after 10 days my VAG lead arrived from UK, soldered the pins together and out to the car. Automatically installed the VAG driver after disregarding the non-Microsoft warning and TOAF opened without any further fuss.

Read and cleared some faults, then on to the BCU. Back-up first. My RHD tourer BCU is now LHD, my window switches are no longer reversed, no more faults from the rear wiper which I don’t have (disabled), rear demister (disabled), didn’t quite get the single click entry to work as it opens only the front doors with one click. I’ll have to have another look later.

But all together a very easy to use programme and a huge thanks to the Poles for doing this. I have previously made a contribution as I felt it only right to do so considering the benefit to us all.

I’ll now spread word to our Rover Club of Sweden and make even more people happy.

Thanks again

#25 ·
Thanks guys, I love a happy beginning .....

French Mike: Hope the Chinese cable turns up soon, I was beginning to wonder if mine was really sourced in China, 10 days UK to Sweden!

Shawn: You mentioned the Remote T4. The innovator installed the necessary software on my windows machine using Teamviewer, which we also used in the background for communication e.g. rev the engine up to 3,000 rpm, re-starting the T4 (a lot of those). A brilliant idea in its day, but sadly received little support.

I suppose Teamviewer could also be used for TOAF, for complicated things or things I wouldn't dare to do and would prefer paying someone qualified to do. I was thinking of our friend genpk in Perth who was on about programming key fobs. Or re-maps perhaps.

Any thoughts?

Regards

#26 ·
TOAF is as simple as possible, You can also ask at FB fanpage, where you receive fast reply for your question, there are four of us to answer almost all the time via messanger from smartphones.

Team Viewer is common tool ;) ask about what You would like to do , I think that there will be no problem to connect and do things ;)

#27 ·
Thanks, appreciate that it is as simple as possible. I'm not really the right generation for FB but my daughter has an account which I guess I could borrow if I'm desperate.

I'll have another look at TOAF later today and try and figure out why the single click option doesn't open all the doors. Should it?

Oh and another positive thing, I've disabled speed locking.

Great programme, much appreciated.

#33 ·
How mamy rover/ mg cars did you saw with this feature?

We have spoke about that at our forum and the results are as below...
If BMW e46 is equal to rover/mg...
You need seats with memory(with SMAC module)
Our mirrors have 4 or 5 leads (heating and control) 2 extra leads when folded...
Same situation is in BMW, if mirrors are able to dip down she reverse they have 11 pins.
7 as above + extra leads to fold down.
I think to servomotors.

Did you know, when you have memory seats , when you choose settings, 1 , 2 or 3... Are mirrors settings too?
When yes, probably they have servomotors.

Following this there is procedure described at BMW forums, that you have to choose passanger mirror at the windows switch bla bla bla...
You have to interrogate your friend with this feature
About seats and mirrors, or try to use all BMW stuff from mirrors, but prices are to high to experiments

#34 ·
I've got the latest TOAF version installed on my Win 10 PC (I don't know if TOAF works on WIN 10 or will I need to install virtual machine (VM) and run Win XP pro in there!

My cable arrived but I cant make head nor tail on how to go about installing it on my pc:confused: even reading the meagre instructions on the installation disc make no sense.

#35 ·
As a very long term Mac user I can't advise on Windows, but noticed that an earlier poster Picky737 tried TOAF on two machines, windows xp & 7, he managed to get it working on the XP.

Mine installed the VAG driver software automatically on my ancient XP, after the usual Microsoft warning, can't remember if I had the ignition switched on at the time or not. I had download the TOAF drivers and placed them on the XP desktop but as far as I know they weren't used.

I didn't make any changes to the Port settings and TOAF just worked (could almost imagine it's Mac based!).

Good luck

#36 ·
I'll have to have a good look through some threads & gen up on the subject as much as I can when I've got time, unfortunately I've got other pressing jobs on the car to take care of first, I know just enough to get me into or out of trouble with PC's depending on how you look at it >:)

#37 ·
Went out today and tried TOAF for the second time. The xp machine wanted the VAG drivers again, which it got, and I noticed that I’m now using com port 5 for some reason.

The one click still only opens the front two doors, tried changing from enable to disable and back but no difference.

I’m able to read all modules except the engine, a message appears at the bottom of TOAF, engine module not found or something similar. Tried with the engine running but no difference. Restarted the computer but still no contact with the engine module. All other modules e.g. ipk, srs, bcu, lsm communicating.

Ideas please?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.