Installing TOAF - Page 5 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #81 of 197 (permalink) Old 30-04-2016, 13:44 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
In a moment of what if !!! I wonder if you did one of those firmware updates on the 2 din radios that can turn your 2 din into a computer, if TOAF was loaded in to the 2 din via the sd card port (runs on Wince 5 or 6) you could have all your diagnostics within the car !!!
Nice idea using the Windows based DD for TOAF especially live data, but I imagine that even if you could load and run TOAF getting the input from the OBD would be a problem. Mind you, there are some very clever Poles around, perhaps Marcin Misek has the same kind in his car.

But one of the reasons I wanted TOAF was not just for me but also to be able to help others within our local club. I live just off the main north - south highway and have previously offered free VIS testing and fitting to those passing (thanks Dave), appreciating a cup of coffee in return, (Does that count as trading?). I’d also like to be able to help with basic diagnostic services using TOAF and perhaps dealer options, hence the need for a laptop driven version.

Local T4s in Sweden seem as common as in Australia, and the postal service similar too, though I think 10 days from UK - Sweden beats China - Australia.

Perhaps we will one day see a TOAF location map similar to the T4 one.

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 197 (permalink) Old 30-04-2016, 19:15

Car: 75 1.8T connie SE, 75 CDTi Tourer connie SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by longer86 View Post
Vitesse, maybe your obd socket need some tweaks with connectors?

Muggerbee , yes probably pins are not connected.
What engine?

For a 2 or 3 days will be available next ver. With some fixings. Like better engine ecu identification (2.0 v6 mostly) and will be fixed IKE coding tab...
CDTi , not tried it on the 1.8T yet I got this cable Ebay 281312488164
think i might need to get soldering I hate soldering :P
update, tried it on the turbo, same result

Last edited by Muggerbee; 30-04-2016 at 19:37.
post #83 of 197 (permalink) Old 30-04-2016, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggerbee View Post
CDTi , not tried it on the 1.8T yet I got this cable Ebay 281312488164
think i might need to get soldering I hate soldering :P
update, tried it on the turbo, same result
What with pins? Are they connected?

post #84 of 197 (permalink) Old 30-04-2016, 20:36

nothing connected. just a kkl 409 with a 232 chipset
post #85 of 197 (permalink) Old 30-04-2016, 20:45

Pins 7 and 8 in your cable... Are they connected together?
post #86 of 197 (permalink) Old 30-04-2016, 20:50

Nope, I'm assuming that's tomorrows job for the man who solders like a bird crapping on a bonnet
post #87 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:42 Thread Starter

My soldering of the VAG lead was none too pretty as the iron wasn’t dainty enough for the job, but it works.

You could always try bridging the pins from within the socket by using stiff wire, or a couple of turns of eights of fuse wire. If I were to try I think I’d find some pins / nails just slightly smaller in diameter than the OBD pins, put the pins in a vice in a mirror spacing and use welding wire (springy) to make a bridge. Test with multimeter. Might work.

Regards
post #88 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 09:36

Car: 2004 MG ZT+ CDTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse v8 View Post
You could always try bridging the pins from within the socket by using stiff wire, or a couple of turns of eights of fuse wire. If I were to try I think I’d find some pins / nails just slightly smaller in diameter than the OBD pins, put the pins in a vice in a mirror spacing and use welding wire (springy) to make a bridge. Test with multimeter. Might work.
I tried this - it was surprisingly difficult and the pins / socket is very flimsy - first time I plugged it in I ended up snapping the PCB from the socket and had to get a new cable.
post #89 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 09:42 Thread Starter

OK, forget that idea then.

But thanks for sharing the info, successes & even failures help others.

Regards
post #90 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 10:47

Car: ZT-T remapped to 160 using map from my old car ;)
The trick is to tin the bridge piece first.
Make sure your soldering iron is good and hot,don't rush it.
Practice making a few bridge wires first and pick the best one.
That way as soon as the pin 7 and 8 solder melts just dip the bridge in and hold for a few seconds and your done really cleanly.
Soldering for beginners.
post #91 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 12:17
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse v8 View Post
Nice idea using the Windows based DD for TOAF especially live data, but I imagine that even if you could load and run TOAF getting the input from the OBD would be a problem. Mind you, there are some very clever Poles around, perhaps Marcin Misek has the same kind in his car.

But one of the reasons I wanted TOAF was not just for me but also to be able to help others within our local club. I live just off the main north - south highway and have previously offered free VIS testing and fitting to those passing (thanks Dave), appreciating a cup of coffee in return, (Does that count as trading?). I’d also like to be able to help with basic diagnostic services using TOAF and perhaps dealer options, hence the need for a laptop driven version.

Local T4s in Sweden seem as common as in Australia, and the postal service similar too, though I think 10 days from UK - Sweden beats China - Australia.

Perhaps we will one day see a TOAF location map similar to the T4 one.

Regards
Im still waiting for my cable to arrive from China !!!,thats what you get for buy it real cheap !!!
Re the 2 Din radio,see ERISIN do a 2 din radio for the Rover 75 with a quad core and mentions it can hook up to ELM via the bluetooth so as you say, not easy but I think do- able !!
Im not in the local Rover club over here so not sure if they are aware about TOAF but I might email them anyway.
Most of the guys in the local club have vintage cars but I know they have a couple 75s and ZTs in hte club.
If I get proficient in TOAF may do the same as you and offer a few services to help them out.
post #92 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Im still waiting for my cable to arrive from China !!!,thats what you get for buy it real cheap !!!
Re the 2 Din radio,see ERISIN do a 2 din radio for the Rover 75 with a quad core and mentions it can hook up to ELM via the bluetooth so as you say, not easy but I think do- able !!
Im not in the local Rover club over here so not sure if they are aware about TOAF but I might email them anyway.
Most of the guys in the local club have vintage cars but I know they have a couple 75s and ZTs in hte club.
If I get proficient in TOAF may do the same as you and offer a few services to help them out.
Wouldn't you need to bridge 7 and 8 on the elm327 as well ??
post #93 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 20:19

Car: 2004 MG ZT+ CDTI
Quote:
Wouldn't you need to bridge 7 and 8 on the elm327 as well ??
Most likely, yes - as far as I'm aware it's not a deficiency of the adaptors, rather an uniqueness of the way different modules on our cars use different pins to communicate, but should all be read as one.
post #94 of 197 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 21:52

Car: 2013 MG 3 VTI Tech Style
I did have a quick test the other day with installing Toaf onto my diagnostics tablet and using my modified ELM 327 interface for my Ford, my Ford uses HS can and MS can to access various ECU's so my modified adapter has a toggle switch to switch between the two can networks.

However I was unable to get my ELM 327 to work with Toaf, however when selecting anything in Toaf it was making the LED's flash on my adapter.

I was using it with Windows 10 though, I have not tried Windows 7.

It was purely out of curiosity if it would work with my adapter.
post #95 of 197 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 15:49

Car: ZT-T remapped to 160 using map from my old car ;)
Exclamation

Am I understanding that correctly?
Over the other side someone has mistakenly soldered the pins on the socket in the car and not the USB adapter lead and then taken their car for a T4 session and killed a T4?

EDIT: It did say that but it was a load of rubbish!

Last edited by Shawn; 03-05-2016 at 07:30.
post #96 of 197 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 16:32

Send a message via MSN to Alex30013k
I got my lead, just got a bit of bare wire made a loop and tightened it with a pair of pin nose pliers around the two pins and the excess just broke off. Job done. Works a treat and if I need to remove it I can.
post #97 of 197 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 16:37 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Am I understanding that correctly?
Over the other side someone has mistakenly soldered the pins on the socket in the car and not the USB adapter lead and then taken their car for a T4 session and killed a T4?
That's my understanding too.

My favourite comment there must be Picky737's who said something like if I want to read pages of people arguing about TOAF I come on here, if I want to know how to set things up I go to the other site.

Priceless
post #98 of 197 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 17:54

I would like to know who was so smart and soldered socket?!

Or maybe this is imagined scary story to discourage Possibly users
post #99 of 197 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 17:55

Smile

Yayyy managed to bird dollop solder my pins together and had a play about, double flash hazards and autolock enabled on the diesel but couldn't find the digital speedo thingamajig Hooked up to the petrol but it couldn't find the ECU (mems not compatible ?? ) but it cleared the 81 blown bulbs in 12 years
post #100 of 197 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 18:01

Quote:
Yayyy managed to bird dollop solder my pins together and had a play about, double flash hazards and autolock enabled on the diesel but couldn't find the digital speedo thingamajig Hooked up to the petrol but it couldn't find the ECU (mems not compatible ?? ) but it cleared the 81 blown bulbs in 12 years
Instrument cluster coding tab is missing at version.43 developer mistake. Also connection with mems will be fixed. Sorry