Jaguar X-Type vs Rover 75 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 182 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 18:18 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZT+ 190
Jaguar X-Type vs Rover 75

whats the actual diff with these 2 cars? they both look really similar but the jag seems a little cheaper? i love rovers, but a jag does have a flashier name i suppose so how come they cost less!? take it insurance will cost more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 182 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 18:41

Car: Other Manufacturer
Dont be fooled by the jag, poor interior, poor build on the early ones, general all round sense of cheapness, the 75 is by far the better car.
post #3 of 182 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 18:43 Thread Starter

thats what i thought. they dont look remotely as nice inside. ive wanted a connoisseur for a few weeks but i stumbled across a contemporary today, and WOW! got the classyness of the connoisseur outside, with the sporty facelift and also a much sportier, sleeker black interior. is there anything about the contemporarys i should know?
post #4 of 182 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 18:47

Car: MGF
75 is more of an S-Type competitor for me.

X-Type is the modern equivallent of a Ford Scorpio in my book, but on a smaller floorpan (really narrow seats, intrusive B-post, rear legroom is compromised too (marginally worse than the Rover/ZT) - generally feels a lot smaller inside than the Rover/ZT).

On the plus side, the built in satnav is excellent (touch screen - cool!), heated front windscreen is good, takeaway hook on glovebox lid is handy too, 4WD is nice as well, and the optional odments shelf in the boot of the saloon is a great idea. And there is the badge too.
post #5 of 182 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 18:58

Car: 2008/58 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec
Send a message via MSN to tanvir
Quote:
Originally Posted by gritbox View Post
is there anything about the contemporarys i should know?
Yeah... they're nice
post #6 of 182 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 19:02 Thread Starter

haha. are they regarded as same spec as connoisseur, only sportier?

whats a good price for one, 9 grand good? i can hardly find any at all!
post #7 of 182 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 19:17
Ian

Car: Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Connoisseur Auto, Ford Mondeo, Citroen C5 Tourer, Volvo V60 and Kia Sorento
I tend to thing of the Connoisseur being on the same level as Contemporary and Connoisseur SE being on the same level as the Contemporary SE.

They both have different equipment levels, aimed at the different people that they attract.
post #8 of 182 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 19:24 Thread Starter

and contemps are for younger peeps aye?
post #9 of 182 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 19:28

Car: Rover 75
Send a message via MSN to DeeMan
Rover 75 unambiguously
have 2 cars Vauxhall Omega MV6 full spec,
and Rover 75 thats thing!,
belive that Rover will back to UK,
post #10 of 182 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 19:28
Ian

Car: Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Connoisseur Auto, Ford Mondeo, Citroen C5 Tourer, Volvo V60 and Kia Sorento
I guess the main differences for the Contemporary are, the body coloured side strips, as opposed to chrome on the rest of the 75 range. And a Black Ash Dashboard, as opposed to Light Oak or Burr Walnut.

And I guess that the Alloy Wheels look a little sportier on Contemporary models
post #11 of 182 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 19:31
Ian

I have had a Jaguar X-Type for a few weeks before, and as Scarlet Fever says, I found the interior to be small in comparison to the Rover 75. It definitely felt alot narrower.

Also, there were lots of 'Ford' switches littered about the dashboard. Most people probably wouldn't recognise them, but having driven lots of Ford products, I tend to pick up on these sorts of things. I just expected the X-Type not to adopt Ford parts, where the customer can see.

I found some of the plastics to be a bit hard and brittle - especially around the J-Gate transmission selector.
post #12 of 182 (permalink) Old 13-03-2007, 20:19

Car: MGZT-T RRON
for my sins

I work for jag and would never have an X-TYPE is an old mondeo with jag body most of the components are carry over underneath and as someone said the switches are nearly all ford. 75/ZT'S LOOK MILES BETTER.
post #13 of 182 (permalink) Old 14-03-2007, 09:44

Car: MG ZT
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelife View Post
I work for jag and would never have an X-TYPE is an old mondeo with jag body most of the components are carry over underneath and as someone said the switches are nearly all ford. 75/ZT'S LOOK MILES BETTER.
onelife - I work at the Jag - were are you ???
post #14 of 182 (permalink) Old 14-03-2007, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadydave View Post
Dont be fooled by the jag, poor interior, poor build on the early ones, general all round sense of cheapness, the 75 is by far the better car.

As driver of both here's my view.

My 75 is an 02 CDT with 105k miles on it, Synergy etc to boost power to 150bhp. My X-type is an 07 estate 2.0D S and standard, has 128bhp.

The Jag is no substitute, but build quality and interior is comparable except for the plastics of the centre console which belong to an Amstrad 'hifi'. The steering wheel has the texture of carboard and has a thin rim and tacky Amstrad radio controls.

Ride and seats are firmer but there is less initial understeer entering a bend. Overall handling and grip seems about the same. The Pirelli Pzeros are noisy in a coarse roaring way.

The engine is quieter when revved and as smooth except around 1200rpm when it can be felt through the steering wheel. The clutch is much lighter.
Brakes lack the 75's initial bite, but otherwise are fine.

The performance is lively with somewhat over sensitive throttle response, whereby 80% of the performance needs barely 50% of the pedal travel. Its the opposite to the CDT, which requires 100% of the pedal travel for 100% of the performance but this more progressive action makes is easier to drive in urban areas.

Overall Jaguar need to address the areas of (relatively minor) critiscm before they can satisfy the majority of former 75 owners. A few quid spent by them would make all the difference.
However, I'll probably spend it instead, and will fit a wood dash kit and wood/leather steering wheel. Toyo Proxes T1R tyres look likely as well.

Centre console and steering wheel quality not good enough.
Fit some decent tyres
Soften the ride and seating.
Re calibrate the throttle position sensor to give a more linear response.

If you can find a used one at a good price and don't mind spending some money on the interior/steering wheel/tyres then an X-type would make a decent British built alternative. My Tu3 will be available shortly which will boost power to 155-160bhp and torque to 270lbs ft.
I would not let the critiscms put you off.

There is a page on my website with photos.

http://tuning-diesels.com/Jagx/jaghome.htm

One major overisght on jaguars part - NO automatic diesels.

Ron
post #15 of 182 (permalink) Old 14-03-2007, 13:09

Car: 75 Tourer Contemporary SE
The only think I think the Jag has better is the engines - what a car the 75 could have been with a 2.2 Diesel?
post #16 of 182 (permalink) Old 14-03-2007, 13:24

Car: X-Power Grey MG ZT CDTi + 135
Send a message via MSN to Spanky
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsleybill View Post
The only think I think the Jag has better is the engines - what a car the 75 could have been with a 2.2 Diesel?
Are the Ford TDCi engines better than the BMW ones...??

(it is a question by the way....)
post #17 of 182 (permalink) Old 14-03-2007, 14:32

Car: Focus ST 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

a good question.....

the Ford units are proven and usually bullet proof, the only upside i could see which separates the two would be the lower cost of parts for the ford engine, on the flip side, Ford engines are usually less punchy than the competion. I.e. Peugeot, Vauxhall, Renault (as a big blue oval fan, it hurts to say that!)
post #18 of 182 (permalink) Old 14-03-2007, 16:30

Car: MGZT-T RRON
halewood

sdavies4 I work in halewood at the moment, hopefully going back to the midlands soon
post #19 of 182 (permalink) Old 14-03-2007, 17:51

Car: 620iSD, Jag S-Type, new 620Ti project
To be honest I think the 75/ZT is quite bad for front leg room, and the B-pillar gets in the way on the 75/ZT when I drive it too (father owns a ZT I sometimes drive).

The ZT eats tyres much faster than my friend's X-type...

The centre console on the Jag is poor compared to the ZT, although the ZT seats are poor (already had 2 seats replaced on warranty, now the new seats are splitting - car has done 48,000 miles. My old 620 has done 147,000 and my bolsters are unmarked....).

The rear view isn't great on either but I think the ZT is worse.

I have no experience of diesels in either, but the Ford 2.5 V6 in the Jag is more powerful than the 2.5 KV6 and doesn't suffer from plastic manifolds breaking off, and has chain driven cams so doesn't need the KV6's expensive timing belt changes - but it's also heavier. In my opinion (but this is clearly very subjective) the Ford engine sounds better than the KV6.

Being an MG Rover forum it's natural that there's a large 75 bias here, although personally I prefer the X-type inasmuch as I have considered buying an X-type but have not considered buying a 75/ZT.

I hope this is taken in the manner in which it's intended - I'm not just trying to stir up 75 owners!!!
post #20 of 182 (permalink) Old 14-03-2007, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

My experience over the last 2 weeks is that the TDci engine (jointly developed with Puegeot - their HDI, but with Delphi injection), is quieter when revved, punchier due no doubt to the VNT turbo, but suffers a noticeable vibration at 1200rpm. Its also produces more torque (244lbs v 221lbs) than a CDTi and 2bhp less in an X-type (128 v 130bhp)

I'm sure the current version of the BMW engine (i.e in their own cars) is as good. The 75's engine dates back to 1998 and was the first common rail car engine.

Currently testing a Tu3 on it at present.

Ron