Just been rear ended (Oo-err missus!) - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 09:49 Thread Starter

Car: 04 75 CDTi 130k, R45 1.6, 90k miles, 54 plate. MGF VVC, 96k miles, '96. 02 plate Peugeot 206, 67k
Just been rear ended (Oo-err missus!)

I was involved in a not-at-fault accident this morning. My car only has cosmetic damage, but will undoubtedly be a technical write-off, as any repair will exceed the value of the car. Am I right in thinking that as the claim is against a third party I can insist on my car being repaired?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 14:54

Car: Rover 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenHealey View Post
I was involved in a not-at-fault accident this morning. My car only has cosmetic damage, but will undoubtedly be a technical write-off, as any repair will exceed the value of the car. Am I right in thinking that as the claim is against a third party I can insist on my car being repaired?
It seems to depend on the insurance company. If all else fails, just get a payout, buy it back and fix it yourself. Bumpers off in ten minutes and they are plentiful (you can often get the correct colour too). It won't make any difference to the resale value, being a cat C or whatever as they sell for peanuts now anyway.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 17:10

Car: 06 MG ZR+120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenHealey View Post
Am I right in thinking that as the claim is against a third party I can insist on my car being repaired?
No; it was always quoted as being the case that you could do so, but I think the rules have been clarified or updated within the last couple of years, and it is not the case that you can insist on a repair regardless of cost. For cosmetic damage, I would think the cost would be such that you would have a good chance of being able to persuade the insurer to carry out the repair though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
.....If all else fails, just get a payout, buy it back and fix it yourself.
That sometimes depends on the insurance company as well - some of them will not allow the claimant to purchase the salvage if the have accepted a payout, and some won't even tell you where or when the damaged car is to be sold for salvage, so you can't even go down that route.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 17:38
Supporter

Car: MG ZS
Garages
When the third party ins,co contact you to settle claim first see what they offer but find a few similar models year mileage etc for sale and if offer seems low quote the adds you have found and try to up the offer, remember ITS your car so then say how much to retain salvage and if you lucky will end with car and cash to fix it plus a bit left over
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-11-2016, 15:53 Thread Starter

Car: 04 75 CDTi 130k, R45 1.6, 90k miles, 54 plate. MGF VVC, 96k miles, '96. 02 plate Peugeot 206, 67k
Worked out fairly well in the end. They paid me 1082 and I kept the car. The missus reversed it into a post-and-rail fence shortly after the first accident, I've repaired that as it was much worse than the "write-off" damage, but can't be ar$ed to fix the original, very minor damage.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-11-2016, 19:58
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Goodo

btw - which car was damaged?

gnu
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Goodo

btw - which car was damaged?
Sorry, the 75.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:30
Banned

Car: MG ZR
Some insurers are now loading for 'non faults' and rightly so.