KV6 - Head gasket or cracked Liner or ?? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 13:06 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZT 180+
KV6 - Head gasket or cracked Liner or ??

Hi all,

I fear the worst for the zt180 I bought before Christmas. If I'm not mistaken it may well be an ebay spares or repair job. Bit disappointed the chap I bought it off wasn't more honest in his answers, but hey, some people....and perhaps more fool
me.

Here's the story. (A repeat to some people who read earlier posts). Car will occasionally lose coolant. First happened a couple of weeks back. Driving along, heater went cold then temp needle went up. Pulled over water had come out of somewhere near air box. Took a good 2 to 3 litres to refill it, but it was fine after that. Was doing lots of short journeys, checking the water regularly for any loss. None evident.

Then yesterday I had to drive round the M25 to Uni. 40 mile journey took nearly 2 hours (oh joy). By the end the heater was getting a bit cool so checked the coolant level once it had cooled down. It had gone from just above max to just below min. Refilled and drove home with trepidation in my heart. Made it without incident.

Symptoms are:-

From as soon as I got it.... i.e. Before the coolant loss.

Fine when started from cold. Runs smooth and no steam from exhaust.

Once thoroughly warm it develops a mis-fire at tickover and steam comes from the exhaust. Still pulls fine and is a nice car to drive. Temperature needle stays in the middle of the gauge – although I understand that means very little with this engine.

Let the engine cool right down and their is still pressure in the cooling system.

The car has been fitted with the metal thermostat housing and there is no leak between the V’s. The cap on the header tank appears sound. The fan works as it should. All hoses are sound and clips are good. header tank doesn’t bubble when cold...haven’t tried it hot for obvious reasons. Oil appears to be free of coolant (cursory check), certainly no mayo round the filler cap. Not sure it may be using some oil though, which considering the few hundred miles I’ve done would not be a good thing.

From this I guess it is safe to assume there is a leak in one (or more) of the cylinders allowing coolant into the combustion chamber and exhaust gases into the cooling circuit. I would remove the spark plugs to see what story they tell, but it is too darn cold today and getting to the rear ones will be doubly awful because of the LPG system being bolted to the removal able bulk head.

My questions are:-

1. Could it be anything else.

2. Is there any way without removing the head(s) of telling if it is the head gasket or a liner? I take it the liners cost more to replace than a straight head gasket change...even though that may beyond economical repair.

Seems I’ve bought a lemon...boy will the wife give me stick. Paid just shy of a grand for it so not the worst disaster...but have fitted new tyres, had the LPG system serviced by some monkeys who knew jack (I had to fix it after their efforts) and bought all the bits for a service.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by h4house; 17-01-2013 at 14:14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 13:41

Car: mgzt190+,mgztcdti+mgzr105,kawasaki zx6r
it does sound like a cracked liner. when the steam and misfire occurs, i would stop it and check the plugs. you may find one wetter than others. a liner swap is not that bad to be honest, and if youre lucky enough to find the leaking liner its a case of removing that head bank and the liner can be slid out with the piston in place, and a new liner can be slid over the rings in situe.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 14:17 Thread Starter

Hhhmm, beyond my competancy I fear. Don't have the time or all the tools either. Worked on a few motorbike engines but their more manageable!

Anyone know a reasonably priced garage/mechanic in the kent/east sussex/surrey/London area? I'll give MGR Services a call in Borough Green, but I don't think he gets involved with the V6.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 14:19

Car: 2004 Facelift 75 Connoisseur 1.8 turbo with DD Pack. And remember, the troof is out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4house View Post
- - - - -
To any Moderators reading.

Readers using the forum's 'Light' interface can't see a word of this post.
Why does the system have colour options that can't be read on either interface?

TC
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 14:28 Thread Starter

That was my fault. I hate the interface so wrote the post in outlook then pasted it. Have changed the font colour now...hopefully everyone can read it now?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 14:36
Trader Supporter

Car: MG Express (Van)
Garages
Don't forget the inlet manifold gasket on the odd bank,probably not replaced when the thermostat was done, these get overlooked and leak into cyl 5.

TS Autos - I do everything apart from paint and bodywork, I excel in trim, mechanical and electrical faults on all models, but know ZT/75's every nut and bolt quite literally. Please PM me if you need a part or work doing to your car! location as requested Midlands Area DY8 1XQ
www.tsautos.com
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 14:37

Car: 75 v8, tourer 2.5 auto, 1.8T auto, 90, 105S, 105R, 110, p5BCoupe, P6B, Van den Plas, Range Rover
I hate to admit it, but I think TS is, for once, talking sense!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 14:54

Car: 2004 Facelift 75 Connoisseur 1.8 turbo with DD Pack. And remember, the troof is out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4house View Post
That was my fault. I hate the interface so wrote the post in outlook then pasted it. Have changed the font colour now...hopefully everyone can read it now?
Not your fault. The vBulletin interface options should ensure readable text no matter what colour it is or which interface is used to read it. It only needs someone with high level access to tweek the issue away, but it won't happen.

TC

PS: Still not visible on the Light interface. (??)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 15:31 Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up on the inlet manifold. I'm going to guess that the odd bank is the back one since sod's law dictates it has to be the most difficult to reach.

I'm awaiting the delivery of my Haynes manual so it should point me in the right direction for cylinder numbers.

One question and excuse my ignorance. If it were the inlet manifold would this still cause the coolant to be pressurized when cold? That said the coolant doesn't smell of exhaust gases........

Cheers.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-01-2013, 15:50
Trader Supporter

Car: MG Express (Van)
Garages
1,3,5 are at the front, take the plug out and check for coolant staining on the plug

TS Autos - I do everything apart from paint and bodywork, I excel in trim, mechanical and electrical faults on all models, but know ZT/75's every nut and bolt quite literally. Please PM me if you need a part or work doing to your car! location as requested Midlands Area DY8 1XQ
www.tsautos.com
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-01-2013, 15:16

Car: 2004 MG ZT190+ V6 LPG, MG ZR 1.4, Jaguar S-type 3.0 LPG
Hi i have a 190 and i have a coolant leak which i can't find then i changed the inlet manifold gaskets and now its sorted.

This sounds like your problem as you can't find the leak and if your IMGs were leaking then your coolant is be sucked in the cylinders and burnt with the fuel/air mix and could cause a misfire if the spark plug is getting wet!

Have a look at this-
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=131367
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-01-2013, 16:04 Thread Starter

Hi Simon.h

Let's hope so, sounds a lot better than a HGF or cracked liner. Will have to wait for the weather to warm up a bit before I venture outside and take a plug or two out to see if there is any sign of coolant stainig.

Cheers