manual gearbox oil change - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PICKY737

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 14:41 Thread Starter

Car: 75
manual gearbox oil change

please bare with me and my stupid questions, but i had a go at changing the gearbox oil on my transmission by following this guide; https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=87703

i have located the drain plug and the filler plug which require size 8 hex but the problem is the filler plug seems to be in a very awkward spot, i've managed to go as far as insert my socket wrench in the plug but have no space to turn the wrench well maybe about an inch or two but didnt continue any longer cause i wouldnt be able to fit a hose through it to fill it. but my question is it is easier if i remove the wheel first? i had it on jack stands at the lowest possible elevation because operating the trolley jack was sketchy as hell..

any tips on this at all???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 20:24
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Bear with it - it's awkward but do-able. I usually use a combination​ of working from below and above to get the plugs out. Remember the car will need to be near level when you top up the oil.

gnu
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 09:00

Car: 54 Conny 1.8T BRG
ALWAYS remove the filler plug first.If you remove drain plug first and then find you can't remove the filler plug then you are stuck with an empty gearbox.
COLVERT likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 09:04 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKY737 View Post
ALWAYS remove the filler plug first.If you remove drain plug first and then find you can't remove the filler plug then you are stuck with an empty gearbox.
yeah ive read about that.. but can't you fill it through the drain port anyways?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 17-06-2017, 15:15 Thread Starter

yaay

finally done it.. more fiddly than difficult but this is how i did it, i basically followed the instructions on the link ive posted above but here are specifics;

when the car's raised turn the wheel/ steering wheel to the left. that way you'll be working mostly at the front of the front tyre, i tried removing the wheel as i imagined it would be easier but the nuts seem stuck.

filler plug was easy to loosen which was a relief and done it with an extended ratchet
bottom drain port was more of a pain to loosen, which had to be done under the car by the front tyre as well. gave the ratchet a good kick and that sorted it.

bottom drain plug can be replaced with the fingers, filler bit's more fiddly possible with fingers but it would be easier with the plug attached on the extended ratchet..

drained about 1.8 litres

next job would be sorting out the foggy headlights, then radioator cooler fluid.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 18-06-2017, 16:42
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Good one

gnu