MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Mems?

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Ken75 
#1 ·
Hi
My R75 has been into the dealers today to sort out a few minor things on warranty two of which were the trip computer throwing up all sorts of different numbers and an eneven tickover (it was ticking over at 500rpm) Speaking as someone who's engine knowledge stopped at the BMC A engine I am slightly confused by the diagnosis. They told me my Mems???? had somehow reprogrammed or lost its program and it had to be reprogramed to put things right. Its now running correctly and the trip computer is now working ok but my question is what the hell is a Mems exactly. Sorry to be so thick but I am just curious.

Also I was given a R25 courtesy car and even though it was only the base model I quite liked it. It seemed to be a better drive than the 45 I had before the 75. Its nice to have the 75 back even though I was only a day without it.

I obviously know that the Mems is some sort of computer program but does it really run the show?
Ken

#3 ·
I have just been reading up on mems and it say's that it learns from the way the car is driven over a period of time. As I am the second owner with 7000 on the clock and I have just completed 800 miles myself would that account for the mems needing to be reprogrammed? In other words if my driving was completely different from the previous owner? or should it just have learnt my driving style?

#4 ·
You won't have done anything with your driving style to cause the problem. It will have just adapted to your style.

Sounds like just one of those things. Electronics go wrong from time to time.

#7 ·
I have now done about 200 miles since the mems was reprogrammed and the car has become smoother especially when pulling from 1st to 2nd gear. It used to be a bit jerky almost as though the engine was shutting down in the split second between the changes, now that has gone. I thought it was just me getting used to the new car but obviously it wasn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.