MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Mg ZT CDTi 135 Noise On Engine

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  zt new boy 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just Bought An Mg Zt 135 Cdti, Im Getting A Noise At 3000 Rpm Which Continues Up To The Redline - Like A Heatshield Rattle, My Local Garage Says It Could Be Piston Slap Or Camshaft/tappet Noise... Is This A Common Problem, I Test Drove 3 Other Cars Before I Bought This One And They All Made The Same Noise....
I Have Some Dealer Warranty (3 Months) Its A 53 Plate And It Has 53000 On The Clock......

Also I Am Experiencing Smoke Under Hard Braking, The Back Discs Look ******ed Tho, Which Could Be The Answer, 1 Other Thing, The Clutch Pedal Is Very Low And Heavy - Is This Normal.....

Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated...

#2 ·
what colours the smoke ? if its had recent new discs it could be the protective coating off the disc but this should only last a day or so , are the brakes clean and do they work well ?

All in all if its under warranty take it back if your not happy because it shouldnt smoke when you brake and get them to look at the engine noise and clutch issues

#4 ·
Well piston slap normally happens when the engine is cold but should go away when the engine warms up.

Get someone to follow you down the road. If it's chucking out smoke from the exhaust then you know that the engine/turbo needs looking at.

The BMW diesel engine you have is normally smooth as a turbine and runs clean to they're not known for chucking out smoke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.