MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MoT time for MG ZT-T 1.8T Project #6

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  MGJohn 
#1 ·
Took my latest project MG ZT-T 1.8T for its annual MoT Test today.

Glad to report the car passed the MoT test with relative ease this afternoon. Lives on for another thirteen months..:smile:

Start of test.. allow engine to warm up fully.

After various safety item checks whilst up on Ramps, then onto the brake tests. Having used the brakes quite firmly on the way to the Test Station, I was very confident all would be fine even the... wait for it... "They all do that" Handbrake operation.

Front Service Brake Test Readings:~

Rear Service Brake Test Readings:~

Handbrake Readings :~

Very acceptable balanced readings. No wonder the car pulls up so well. It's the MINTEX Pads on the front wot did it...

There's another Bonus. One thing I do not have the necessary kit to check were the emissions. Thus they are always a concern for me particularly so when the Tester Guy stated that non-standard exhausts can be "iffy" and often result in a fail. The car has a good quality non-standard Stainless Steel Exhaust from the Exhaust Downpipe to the full length including the large diameter single outlet pipe in the rear Silencer. All Stainless Steel construction with what he believes is a "Sports" Cat... :

So imagine our delight and surprise to observe the following emissions readings ~ all came up Green well within the Parameters. :~

Tester remarked never seen readings that good with any non-standard exhaust even Stainless Systems. Many newer cars he tests not as good. He also said that he believes the Exhaust System on the car would cost at least £500. I have a good look at it whilst up on the lift ramps.

Nice result for what is a twelve year old car closing in on 90,000 miles.

End of test :~

See less See more
#3 ·
Sudden loss of power.

Thank you.

However there has been a minor event with this car.

Further to my #1 post, driving the car this morning it was definitely down on power. Still went well but, not the same. Here's why when lifting the bonnet. Boost escaping via loosened Boost Hose to Throttle Body.. :~

Now I undid that to gain better access to the 8mm bleed bolt when putting fresh Anti-freeze in the cooling system a week or so ago. Now did I tighten it sufficiently or did I not seat it correctly when I did tighten it. I don't know... :dunno:

Another mystery to ponder. Lost boost power now fully restored. :)

#7 ·
idk why it's your least favourite colour, it's pretty cool.
:dunno: Just there's a sea of car greyness out there and my eyes prefer to look at more vibrant colours like Rover Reds, Yellows and Blues.

Further to my post #5 some images I thought I had added to that post are not there. Here's a few more from that memorable trip yesterday.

Attachments

#5 ·
Now showing 90,000 Miles.

Used this car for close to a 300 mile round trip to both North and South London today picking up my older son Martin in the far north east of Gloucestershire. The car never missed a beat so I'm delighted.

My sons Martin and James insisted we came back via the North Circular Road and visited the World famous "ACE KAFF" as we used to say back in my 1960s Motor Cycle days. Martin treated us to a nice nosh-up at the Cafe. Last time I was there and had some Sausage, Egg, Chips and Beans was about 1962 when it was a typical "Greasy Spoon" type of Transport Cafe joint. Big changes since those now faraway days.

Tonight was an American Car event with plenty of impressive Big Yankee metal on display.

Good day had by all. See images attached. The yellow Ford Anglia must have had a huge V8 installed. It took off up the road like a scared bunny! What a noise ... :D

Attachments

#9 ·
Read somewhere that apparently, dealerships, fleet buyers and the few folks who actually buy cars privately see various shades of grey as a safe "residuals" option when the time comes to dispose of the car. I think they are wrong.

My small fleet of ZT-Ts are Grey, Blue and Red. Much prefer the more vibrant colours although all three look good :~

#10 ·
Took this ZT-T 1.8T for an AirCon re-gas today. Local guy I've used before charges a mere £20. Previously £25.

Leak/Pressure test and re-charge all went well but, no cold at all from Climate Control. The guy spotted and drew my attention to the broken wire to the Compressor. I shall clean that up and fix soon and then see it that does the trick. My other ZT-T has very efficient AirCon and is a delight to be in when the heat builds up outside as it has done recently. You really notice the BIG difference in temperature when getting out of the Climate Controlled car into the heat.

I want this car to be just like that before I sell it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.