New exhaust for CDTi ZTT - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 21:12 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZT-T CDTi+ 135/ Mini Cooper 1998 Classic /Volvo XC60 R Design 2010
New exhaust for CDTi ZTT

I replaced the exhaust today on my oil burner ZTT. I bought the Klarius one from Euro Car Parts. The price 148 made the decision a no brainer, plus a few extra bits from Rimmers, the metal sealing washer and joining clamp plus additional rubber hangars fron ECP, the total cost was about 165.

Kwik fit wanted over 500 to supply and fit, Halfords would beat their price by 50. As I live over 60miles from either of those outlets decided to fit myself then had a confrontation with a bench saw at work, slicing the bottom off the end of my thumb. That was 5 weeks ago. Thumb still very sore. Got the old exhaust off. It was more holy than the Pope.

Getting the rubber hangars on with one thumb was difficult but its now on and running very quiet. Only downer is the back box hangs lower than the old one, and knocks on the back strap running across the tunnel. I have an old rubber wedged between the pipe and the bracket for now, but does anyone have a better suggestion. Old exhaust was a proper Rover double skinned unit but not one piece. Also no need to take all the undertray off just the four rear turn clips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 06:54
T4 Diagnostics

Car: R40, R41, P6, FL2, Imp, R56, Street Twin
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by zony View Post
I replaced the exhaust today on my oil burner ZTT. I bought the Klarius one from Euro Car Parts. The price 148 made the decision a no brainer, plus a few extra bits from Rimmers, the metal sealing washer and joining clamp plus additional rubber hangars fron ECP, the total cost was about 165.

Kwik fit wanted over 500 to supply and fit, Halfords would beat their price by 50. As I live over 60miles from either of those outlets decided to fit myself then had a confrontation with a bench saw at work, slicing the bottom off the end of my thumb. That was 5 weeks ago. Thumb still very sore. Got the old exhaust off. It was more holy than the Pope.

Getting the rubber hangars on with one thumb was difficult but its now on and running very quiet. Only downer is the back box hangs lower than the old one, and knocks on the back strap running across the tunnel. I have an old rubber wedged between the pipe and the bracket for now, but does anyone have a better suggestion. Old exhaust was a proper Rover double skinned unit but not one piece. Also no need to take all the undertray off just the four rear turn clips.

After trial fitting the Klarius rear pipe and being unable to tolerate the amount of it hanging down past the bumper, I cut 1 1/4" from the overall length exhaust hangers, and re-welded them to get it looking half decent relative to the rear bumper. However if your car has a rear roll bar then I think it would hit the roll bar mountings. Mine was a Turbo saloon Rover hence no roll bar, additionally I cut away a little bit of the roll bar mounting on the rear subframe to ensure plenty of clearance.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 13-10-2015, 20:00 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZT-T CDTi+ 135/ Mini Cooper 1998 Classic /Volvo XC60 R Design 2010
Thanks for that Lovell. I will need to do something, I thought bending the welded on bracket closer to the back box on the new exhaust might do it, but see what you mean.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 22-10-2015, 19:35

Car: ZT-T remapped to 160 using map from my old car ;)
I fitted a second hand longlife back box from a 2.0 petrol on my diesel. Petrol back boxes are usually half the price and mine although straight through hardly sounds any louder.
When I turned the car around with no exhaust on it wasn't that loud.