Paint advice needed - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 20:39 Thread Starter

Car: 04 75 CDTi 130k, R45 1.6, 90k miles, 54 plate. MGF VVC, 96k miles, '96. 02 plate Peugeot 206, 67k
Paint advice needed

Any paint experts out there? I've done a fair bit of car painting in my time, but always with plain colours, where an average finish can be improved by cutting with 1200 grit wet-and-dry and/or a polishing compound, T-Cut etc.

I've knocked out, filled, and flatted the dent my lovely wife made for me, and sprayed it with Black Pearlescent from a rattle-can. Now, the finish definitely needs polishing up, but should I polish it before and/or after applying the lacquer?

I suspect both, but I'm slightly concerned that I might dull the surface of the base coat and then it will always be dull under the lacquer.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-11-2016, 08:41

Car: ZT-T remapped to 160 using map from my old car ;)
Your clear lacquer will put it right. I always flat down before lacquer so it keys in. I'm no professional painter though I've just either been very lucky or picked it up as I've gone along. Be both of those I suspect.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-11-2016, 09:00

Car: mgtf 135 trophy, Rover 800 Coupe 2.0 Turbo, Rover 800 MK1 Vitesse, Rover 620 Ti
If your preparation and environment are clean then there should be no need to flat down the base coat. Sure some dirt can get onto the paint during spraying but more of a problem is that of spitting from rattle cans. check and clean the nozzle regularly to ensure this doesn't happen.

If the dirt specs are tiny then the lacquer should cover them ok and if any evidence after clear coat and polish a touch up pen on the spot would be better than seeing scratches in the base coat through the lacquer as these can not be removed.

In respect of keying in a light key would only be necessary if the base coat has been stoved or left for a long period of time. Using rattle cans will always produce a finish that gives a shimmer (orange peel) appearance but can be polished out successfully if sufficient lacquer is applied in even coats. Spray light coats first to avoid runs and allowing flash off time in between and build the finish, finishing with a full wet coat.

As with all things paint preparation is 95% of the finish, take you time and make sure everything is clean. use pre paint wipes and tak cloth to remove dust and fibres. pouring boiling water over the area to be painted and leaving to dry can help eliminate static which can draw dirt and fibres. mix/shake cans thoroughly no short cuts here also where possible get paint and substrate to even temperature. Paint will perform much better at correct temperature than cold. where possible spray out a test piece to ensure colour match.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-11-2016, 09:03

Car: mgtf 135 trophy, Rover 800 Coupe 2.0 Turbo, Rover 800 MK1 Vitesse, Rover 620 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenHealey View Post
Any paint experts out there? I've done a fair bit of car painting in my time, but always with plain colours, where an average finish can be improved by cutting with 1200 grit wet-and-dry and/or a polishing compound, T-Cut etc.

I've knocked out, filled, and flatted the dent my lovely wife made for me, and sprayed it with Black Pearlescent from a rattle-can. Now, the finish definitely needs polishing up, but should I polish it before and/or after applying the lacquer?

I suspect both, but I'm slightly concerned that I might dull the surface of the base coat and then it will always be dull under the lacquer.

Any thoughts?
only flat with 1500 grit wet and dry after lacquer then use polish mop to bring back. allow plenty of time for paint to cure fully before polishing if using rattle cans and cold temps
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-11-2016, 09:08

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
You only flat the base coat if absolutely necessary (try to avoid it), and you'll need to apply a final "drop" coat of basecoat with no flatting before applying laquer or you'll tend to marr the surface.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-11-2016, 09:25
Banned

Car: MG ZR
Pretty much all been said.

All the prep should be done at primer stage.The base coat has only one purpose and thats for colour and shouldnt be touched or need to be,it should also be followed fairly soon with a dust coat of clear.You can then build up with clearcoat layers as much as you want.
The first couple of clear coats dont matter if they dont shine,its the last coat that matters.That can be worked as much as you want once its hardened.

Dont use T cut,use G3.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 16-11-2016, 12:54

Car: CityRover
Shouldn't you polish at the end? Part of the role of polish is to protect the other layers, especially the lacquer. I don't know about putting layers of polish before this, isn't the lacquer designed to go directly on by itself?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 16-11-2016, 15:15

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Polish is removal of the surface to form a nice flat surface to give good reflection which you do after painting.

I assume you mean wax/sealer products which sit above this layer. If so then the general advice is no, don't use anything for a reasonable period of time after painting (as paint takes a while to cure when it isn't baked).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 17-11-2016, 11:03 Thread Starter

Car: 04 75 CDTi 130k, R45 1.6, 90k miles, 54 plate. MGF VVC, 96k miles, '96. 02 plate Peugeot 206, 67k
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_driver View Post
Shouldn't you polish at the end? Part of the role of polish is to protect the other layers, especially the lacquer. I don't know about putting layers of polish before this, isn't the lacquer designed to go directly on by itself?
I think "polish" in the context of this thread is being used as a verb, rather than a noun. I.e. cutting back the "roughness" of the finish to achieve a smooth finish before applying a polishing product such as Turtle Wax.