Petrol Fuel filter/housing- BMW? - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By the chauffer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 14:47 Thread Starter

Car: R75 Mk2 1.8t, Mazda6 (Gen 2) TS2- 2.2TD
Petrol Fuel filter/housing- BMW?

Well its been an eventful week.

The misses decided she wanted to go out the other weekend and take the Rover instead of the Mazda. So off I went and brimmed the tank. Hadnt done this yet as not need to as still doing work on it.

Well on the way home I could smell petrol rather bad, just thought some has sloshed out the top, but no, when I pulled up at home had a big leak. So out in the Mazda we went.
So Sunday I set to find out what it was. Didnt take long. At some point someone had tried to do something to the tank/filter housing. The connection for the pipe on the top of the filter housing was leaking. Easy one I thought, just push it back in, well that didnt work as planned.I managed to stop it leaking, but it constantly sucked air and the car ran awful.

So I managed to get a new connector and fitted it and well that was fine, but with taking the top off to check everything out I disturbed the large O ring and it wouldnt reseal. But that took a few days to figure out.

Why is the in tank fueling system so complicated?

Anyway I decide to change the fuel filter and all the O rings while I was at it. But everyone says it a life time filter, but as it was blacker than bottom of my coal fire, I wanted to change it.

Trying to find one was a pain, only a few places could get them, but wasnt paying over 30 plus p&p for one. So off I went to the internet and did some searching and research. Couldnt find much searching Rover but then had a thought, the cars system is BWM so why not have a look around. Took me all of 3 minuets and hit gold.

This is the bit that some may or may not know, but here goes anyway. The research I did so the very same system is used on the Mk1 BMW Mini (R50R53). So did a quick search for a filter for that instead, and bingo, straight away Amazon to the rescue.

I then googled the part number for the BMW and again got gold. The very first hit was a Russian site. The guy had put a thread up changing his filter, on a 1.8t 75 with the filter for BMW. Had picture the lot so could easily see everything was the same.

So ordered the filter half the price of the Rover ones I could find, it came today and everythings the same. Every O ring seal the lot.

Just thought Id share this and the link to the filter and the thread I found on the russain site, just so peeps and have a look.

Filter--
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Russian thread-- https://www.drive2.ru/l/6009877/
Billyuk1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 15:26
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
While you were changing fuel filter, have you applied orange clip in oder to prevent filter housing to split over time due to metal spring loosing its strength?

MGJohn did very informative guide on this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 16:40

Car: 2004 Facelift 75 Connoisseur 1.8 turbo with DD Pack. And remember, the troof is out there.
Also see: Mini Cooper S (R50/53): Replacing Fuel Filter

Wonder if Minis suffer from FFS? And if not, why not? (But I think I already know).

TC

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 16:43

Car: 2004 Facelift 75 Connoisseur 1.8 turbo with DD Pack. And remember, the troof is out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
- - - to prevent filter housing to split over time due to metal spring loosing its strength?
That sounds interesting. Which metal spring?

TC
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 16:49
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
That sounds interesting. Which metal spring?

TC
OK, what is the purpuse of metal ring in the middle of filter housing?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 20-04-2017, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
OK, what is the purpuse of metal ring in the middle of filter housing?
I can see what you mean, but I don't believe it gets weaker and causes FFS. From my own observations, I think the stiff pipe joining the filter and pump modules exerts a thrust on the filter body, something like this:

When the filter module is being replaced in the tank, you can feel the thrust pushing on the body.II think it turns it around just enough to loosen it on the thread/bayonet. I believe the bayonet design and the material of construction (a low friction nylon composite) promotes this effect and once FFS has happened it will only continue to get worse. This has been my experience and seems to explain all the reports.

TC