MG-Rover.org Forums banner

R75 & MG ZT/ZT-T Diesel Identification Codes

29K views 50 replies 29 participants last post by  Russnp 
#1 ·
As some people appear to be interested and I've been requested to do it, I've put together a document that lists all of the variant and version codes used for the Rover 75 and MG ZT/ZT-T diesel engines. Sorry it's taken a bit of time to get sorted and on the forum.

In the document you will find the codes used to determine what engine tune you have in your vehicle (either 116 or 131ps). One document looks after Rover 75 Saloon and Tourer and the other one looks after MG ZT & ZT-T (sorry that they are not very pretty to look at. If someone wants to make them look pretty, please carry on, just let me know what you've done before you "publish it" so to speak).

You need to look at your V5 document and at the top there should be 2 lines, one saying Variant and the other saying Version. Match these codes to the document and you should find out if you have what you think you have!

Any problems, drop me a line. I think that I have captured all of the codes, but having gone through documents from 1998, there are quite a few and I may have got a bit number blind!

Hopefully this will help you identifiy what your car was at the time it left MGR at Longbridge and if it's been "fiddled" with since. I hope that it is of use to you all.

Nic :)

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: COLVERT
#3 ·
Rincewind thanks for doing this, had a bit of a worry with my ZTT 135 CDTi, the V5 checkes out as 03C which is the 116 version, however after checking my VIN plate and seeing the white XPower sticker, it appears that the XPower upgrade was fitted at some point in the car's life. :cool:

#4 ·
fmfanuk said:
Rincewind thanks for doing this, had a bit of a worry with my ZTT 135 CDTi, the V5 checkes out as 03C which is the 116 version, however after checking my VIN plate and seeing the white XPower sticker, it appears that the XPower upgrade was fitted at some point in the car's life. :cool:
Not a problem, that's why I did it so people could check their cars. At least yours has been done properly and maked up correctly.

#6 ·
Vinny said:
Hmmm ... how else can I tell what version I have, as our documentation in Ireland is different?
Give me as much information as you can about the car. do you have any kind of V5 information that you could give me?

#8 ·
Grendel said:
Anything similar for 160/190 ZTs Rince?
I'll have a crack, that could take even longer to sort out, but yes, I should be able to sort something out for the petrol version cars. It's getting a bit busy again at work, so it make take a little longer to sort than it did with the squiesel versions (and that was a while!) but I'll try and sort it out for everyone.

Nic

#9 ·
rincewind thanks for the variant codes. i checked my car out last night but there was no variant code on the log book! there were other details missing as well. it is the new type of log book.
i also checked out the wifes and that was a 116.(all ok there)
could anyone check there taxation class and let me know what a diesel saloon should be? we have 2 identical cars with 2 taxation classes!!
cheers ... john

#11 ·
johnnysvoid said:
with ref to the above request about the taxation class - it is because the 1st car was registered in 2000 and the wifes was registered in 2001. something to do with emissions testing. two identical cars but two levels of road tax!
john
Yep a crazy situation my 75 CDT costs less to tax than my slightly older Picasso even though the Picasso produces less emisions Silly or what!

#12 ·
In a nutshell, yes it's all to do with emissions levels and what not and also the introduction of the different taxation rules by the govt!. All very confusing and far too lengthy to go into here as the emissions directive when printed out is 1" thick and depending on when it was registered, different taxation classes were banded about.

#14 ·
Dragging up an ancient post was trying to find out if my ZT was a 131 or a 116. No x power sticker on the car and V5 says its a 03C version which makes it a 116, however if the dealer did the bhp upgrade would this not show up on the V5? The dealer has closed and is now a caravan dealer so cant check with their records. Any other way of telling, except for a rolling road?

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everyone,

This is my first post as a new member to the forum. Apologies for resurrecting this old post

I am looking to purchase a CDTi in the next few weeks and obviously keen to bag a 131 bhp rather than the 116. After reading the forum I will certainly be looking for a CDTi (not CDT) and will check the B post stamp prior to purchase

The problem is I can’t make heads or tails of the excellent codes sheet by Rincewind as attached at the start of the topic. Can anyone shed any light on what the codes mean and how exactly to find them from the V5. As far as I can tell a few of the codes repeat for the 116 and the 131 (eg 03C etc)
Sorry for being a bit thick

James

#33 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post as a new member to the forum. Apologies for resurrecting this old post

I am looking to purchase a CDTi in the next few weeks and obviously keen to bag a 131 bhp rather than the 116. After reading the forum I will certainly be looking for a CDTi (not CDT) and will check the B post stamp prior to purchase

The problem is I can’t make heads or tails of the excellent codes sheet by Rincewind as attached at the start of the topic. Can anyone shed any light on what the codes mean and how exactly to find them from the V5. As far as I can tell a few of the codes repeat for the 116 and the 131 (eg 03C etc)
Sorry for being a bit thick

James
Hi James and welcome to the site.

In order to work out your engine power you need to get hold of the cars V5C that you should be able to ask a dealer for as they won't have sent it off yet etc.

On the left hand side of the page there will be a series of lines that start with 0.1 or 0.2 and so on.

Under where the Make of the car is Rover or MG, there will be two other lines. One will say variant and the other will say version. A Rover will start * and an MG will start # for the variant and the the version codes will start with a 0 and then two other digits.

From here take the codes and match them to my sheets and you'll find the engine power. Don't rely on the B pillar stickers or the VIN plate smoke figure, the only way to tell is from the variant and version codes from the V5.

If you get stuck PM me and I'll give you my contact details so I can discuss it with you if you like.

Cheers

Nic

#30 ·
I'm sure I remember a post which referred to the longevity of the engine with regard to ECU power updates. The writer concluded that the power increase of an ECU update was probably to shorten the life of the diesel engine by about 5-10%. I guess in many ways thats common sense. There's no free lunch. So if we assume that a diesel engine might last for 200,000 miles then you are losing 20,000 motoring miles - a worthwhite sacrifice? For those of us hoping to run their 75s for as long as possible, surely having a 116 bhp Rover 75 is therefore the better option. I can underestand those with a ZT having a different view as they may be more interested in performance. However I bought my 75 for its gorgeous looks. If I wanted to beat people away from the lights I would have bought something else!

#31 ·
thanks for useful help from norwegian owner of 05 zt t

Hi Nic, your table of diesel identification codes was helpful finding out whether my ZT T was a 116 or 131 version. Presupposed this is correct, mine is a 131 version but with no X-power sticker ! Where did You get the information from ? It's incredible what mix up the produser have made on this I think. Sorry if the english isn't too good. Car is nice, but unfortunately in need of new parts - steering rack, catalysator, clutch etc. I probably have to buy it from the UK

Regards

Gert

#32 ·
Hi Nic, your table of diesel identification codes was helpful finding out whether my ZT T was a 116 or 131 version. Presupposed this is correct, mine is a 131 version but with no X-power sticker ! Where did You get the information from ? It's incredible what mix up the produser have made on this I think. Sorry if the english isn't too good. Car is nice, but unfortunately in need of new parts - steering rack, catalysator, clutch etc. I probably have to buy it from the UK

Regards

Gert
Where did I get the information from - well I along with a colleague used to look after the information at MGR as I used to be one of the homologation engineers at MG Rover.

I put the ID tables together a while ago so people could find out what cars they have.

what I will say too for every one is that the 1.00 and 1.33 smoke codes aren't a good reliable source of whether you have a 116 or 131ps engine. During the change over from metal to plastic/self destructable VIN plates etc and the face lifts etc, there were some errors on the plates so some of the 131 cars have 1.00 as their smoke co-eff absorption rates instead of the 1.33.

We picked it up and sorted the problem.

Buried deep in the ECU and build codes for the car lives a little code called X97 this is the diesel tune code. A 116 as an X97 code and a 131 has a X97A code.

Check your variant and version codes on your registration documents, match it up to my sheets and you'll identify your engine callibration.

Don't get to hung up on the CDT and CDT-i badges, that was just sales and marketing garbage. We wanted to have a different VIN digit for the engine power to show the difference but we couldn't do it as Sales and Marketing got all het up about it.

Nic

#34 ·
Hi Rincewind, searched and found your post thought you might be able to help. I'm trying to source a part from BMW but they have quoted 2 different engines where the part is different. Do you know which engine relates to the Rover 75. Is it M47 or M47N the later is a new version, my car was first registered March 2002 Tourer.

Many thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.